Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
The design of the house and orientation of windows vs North make a pretty big difference. A modern solar-passive design can work quite well even without huge amounts of insulation.

But I can't see how roof insulation is responsible for making your house warmer unless you have the windows and doors open all the time, and if that's how you prefer it with no air con then why install the insulation in the first place?
It holds the heat in, I've lived in the house for than 30 years.
Why is this relevant to the bigger picture?

You would find the same type of stats for motor mechanics and smash repairers.
Because it's not cheap to have a decent solar system, speak to installers yourself because I have.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Physics shows that insulation works.

Statistics show that renewables are cheap and getting cheaper than alternatives.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Once again internet expert, I'm not a thermal engineer so I can't explain what happening but that's what happened.
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but these aren't controversial concepts

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Anyway, I'm less interested in tiny home systems (although its significant enough to be denting the viability of coal in queensland with negative whole sale prices at some times) and more in the main games - 15,000MW (Hazelwood was something like 1100 I think)

https://asianrehub.com/

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I still question the sensibility of allowing each house to research, purchase & install the most appropriate solar array. Chances are it goes wrong as much as it goes right.

I think it would be a better prospect to allow independent experts to install neighbourhood arrays, all links from each house roof, maintained centrally.

Something better must exist between the individual & the massive corporation.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

Company propoganda mate, pinks batts kill!!! Actually, they were worse before the scandal.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...sk-was-worse-before-rebate-20100303-pivv.html

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I think it would be a better prospect to allow independent experts to install neighbourhood arrays, all links from each house roof, maintained centrally.
I'm divided. The bonus of privately owned solar is tat you get a boost to co-contriibution of private funding at the expense of efficiency and dodgey bros installs. However this is besides the point that most people actually do solar more for energy independence than environment. Same goes with EVs.

BKMad

Likes Dirt

I reckon there's probably some truth in both views. That experiment they did was only over a short amount of time. I'm sure we've all noticed that by the end of summer our houses get hotter and hotter and harder to keep cool simply due to the warming of the thermal mass of the house day in day out. In some houses, it wouldn't surprise me if once all the materials in a house reach a certain temp, the insulation starts to prevent the heat escaping.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Insulation can't shed heat from the thermal mass, it's there to stop it from heating up in the first place. Obviously over the course of an extended heatwave the sun wins. Using materials with less thermal mass means things will shed heat quicker, but then will retain less in winter when needed.

As mentioned by @fatboyonabike, ventilation is an important factor.

All of these things are tradeoffs; building materials and design need to suit the site orientation and climate. Not everyone has the luxury to change that.

stirk

Burner
I wonder if any of the protestors give any thought to the impact their social media habits have to the environment. The crap I see people taking photos of to upload is boggling.

stirk

Burner
No idea what your point even is?
I thought it quite clear. People should be mindful of their tech habits as they have environmental impact, servers storage electricity etc to host all the selfies. I probably should have said young social media obsessed kids not protestors, I'm all for the protests. Perhaps Moore's law if applied to all computing components will offset the digital growth to some degree.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I thought it quite clear. People should be mindful of their tech habits as they have environmental impact, servers storage electricity etc to host all the selfies. I probably should have said young social media obsessed kids not protestors, I'm all for the protests. Perhaps Moore's law if applied to all computing components will offset the digital growth to some degree.
Did you read the damn report I posted earlier?

Stop fretting about the digital age, that can be (relatively) easily solved.

Worry about the shit that can’t.