Playstation 3 Thread

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone reccomend a long action rpg for PS3 or xbox? sort of like WoW but consoled. How does Masseffct 2 go? Not a fan of fallout.

Also has anyone played Portal 2?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll give it a go! I've never played it but good reviews and the sequel coming out late this year, should be good.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'll give it a go! I've never played it but good reviews and the sequel coming out late this year, should be good.
I can offer some info here........
I have played the shit out of the Fallout games and they are hands down the best RPG's ever. I moved onto Oblivion shortly after New Vegas and played for a total of four hours. It wasn't my cup of tea as it is full of ghouls, magic, weird creatures and a massive amount of bloody boring caves. I know these games get better as you progress but this was boring as buggery straight out of the box. You really should consider Fallout Steve O, it is an awesome experience and totally engrossing. For me, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are 9/10 games and Oblivion is 5/10 as it is a little too childish in it's magic sense.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do many people play F1 2010? I have recently purchased it and I am loving it so far. There are a few things codemasters could work on for F1 2011, but for their first attempt I am pretty impressed.

I am currently in my first season driving for Cosworth Lotus and I have just finished the Spanish Gran Prix (Catalunya) and that by far is the worst track and result I have got to date. Nothing I did seemed to make the car any better, just couldn't match the pace of the AI. Does anyone else play and did they find this particular race rather difficult? I just find it strange because I have done rater well, considering the calibre of car I am driving etc.
It is my most played game, I love it. I only play it on the expert setting (no driver aids, full pit control, no flashbacks etc) and it totally enhances the experience. You are right about the Catalunya thing, the session times and the speed of the AI cars is too much for the middle sector of the lap. There isn't much you can do other than nail the rest of the lap. If you nail one good qualifying lap so you have good tyres for the race you can stay out longer and jump a few cars in the pits.
Try it on expert and join me for some online racing, my PSN is dhdozer .;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I put this in the other PS3 hack thread:
I'm keen for a "Rotorburner's only" private session on Black Ops when the online functions aren't rooted. Throw your suggestions in here and put your PSN names on here so we can get it happening. How about a Saturday evening session? Shotgun not hosting! Headsets are a good idea too as we can all then hang shit on Downhill Domination.;) We did this with Modern Warfare and it kicked arse, it was well funny!
My PSN is dhdozer

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
I put this in the other PS3 hack thread:
I'm keen for a "Rotorburner's only" private session on Black Ops when the online functions aren't rooted. Throw your suggestions in here and put your PSN names on here so we can get it happening. How about a Saturday evening session? Shotgun not hosting! Headsets are a good idea too as we can all then hang shit on Downhill Domination.;) We did this with Modern Warfare and it kicked arse, it was well funny!
My PSN is dhdozer
PSN scottybeefs

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll jump in. I suck at CoD but I'll try and be there! Saturday night sounds good if it's back online but I doubt it.

PSN Below but most people should have me online.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is my most played game, I love it. I only play it on the expert setting (no driver aids, full pit control, no flashbacks etc) and it totally enhances the experience. You are right about the Catalunya thing, the session times and the speed of the AI cars is too much for the middle sector of the lap. There isn't much you can do other than nail the rest of the lap. If you nail one good qualifying lap so you have good tyres for the race you can stay out longer and jump a few cars in the pits.
Try it on expert and join me for some online racing, my PSN is dhdozer .;)
Dozer; go into sales.

Having played the shit out of GT5 and being alarmingly disappointed I've ordered F1 2010. Should be here mid next week! Pretty stoked, I've been after something more realistic. GT5 is OK, but far too short, and they still haven't fixed their "What's that? You'd like to turn now? Well here's a fuckload of understeer!"

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Having played the shit out of GT5 and being alarmingly disappointed I've ordered F1 2010. Should be here mid next week! Pretty stoked, I've been after something more realistic. GT5 is OK, but far too short, and they still haven't fixed their "What's that? You'd like to turn now? Well here's a fuckload of understeer!"
Dude, I'm hearing you with the understeer! You can avoid it by braking earlier but some of the setting syou can make on the cars don't improve the actual physics of the game.
F1 2010 is a game you need to immerse yourself in. You need to play it on expert and tough it out. You will get quicker as you learn the tracks and practise sessions are key to that but keep in mind the more time you spend on track means the more wear you put through your engine and you have to make them last all season! You also must play this game with a good steering wheel (same theory as GT5) as it makes steering input and throttle control more precise. I love the game, it is by far the best driving game I've ever played and being an F1 nut, it consumes many hours of my life.;)

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, I'm hearing you with the understeer! You can avoid it by braking earlier but some of the setting syou can make on the cars don't improve the actual physics of the game.
F1 2010 is a game you need to immerse yourself in. You need to play it on expert and tough it out. You will get quicker as you learn the tracks and practise sessions are key to that but keep in mind the more time you spend on track means the more wear you put through your engine and you have to make them last all season! You also must play this game with a good steering wheel (same theory as GT5) as it makes steering input and throttle control more precise. I love the game, it is by far the best driving game I've ever played and being an F1 nut, it consumes many hours of my life.;)
Yeah, I found that softening the LSD helps a huge amount with the under steer, but then you loose traction on the exits. The only car that doesn't under steer hugely is the X2010, which you don't get until you've pretty much finished the game...

Definitely keen for that. One of my biggest narks with GT5 is that during "practice mode" you go out on track and do laps. Great, but it would be SO much better if you could pit, make car adjustments, change tyres, and do the type of stuff you actually do during practice sessions!

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dozer have you found with F1 2010 that once you reach Monaco the AI seems to get a lot harder? I have the AI set on legendary, and I just can't seem to be placing where I was in the previous 4 odd races. Not sure if this is a bug or my driving has just gone out the window but just wanted to know if you came across the same thing.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
F12010 is indeed a solid game! I love it, but I haven't played much because you really need a steering wheel to play. I might set mine up but It's a bit difficult.

Decided to save my $ and play MGS4. I bought it when it came out but only played to Act 3 for some reason. Anyway, Just played from start to finish and I gotta say, it's a must have for any PS3 owner. It's not quite my favorite game but it's way way up there! Game play can be made a few different ways, sneak or FPS and the storyline is just insanely good.

Probably the best game ever made but I think you need to be a MGS fan to see the full potential of MGS4. I was missing so much story, and whilst it did it's best to fill in the past, The game has literally like 5+hrs of pure cut scenes.

MGS4: 10/10 Easily.

Back to work next week so I'll just be drifting and fraging online..Atleast Until BF3/U3/MGS5.!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I found that softening the LSD helps a huge amount with the under steer, but then you loose traction on the exits. The only car that doesn't under steer hugely is the X2010, which you don't get until you've pretty much finished the game...

Definitely keen for that. One of my biggest narks with GT5 is that during "practice mode" you go out on track and do laps. Great, but it would be SO much better if you could pit, make car adjustments, change tyres, and do the type of stuff you actually do during practice sessions!
Also have a play with toe in / out , ballast , spring rates and brake balance. Weight distribution under braking combined with all of the above can make a big difference in how a car turns into and exits corners. I am only just getting my head around it , some guys I race online with have it down pat. 2 - 4 seconds difference per lap right there. It's good in a way , that the game makes you have to sort this stuff out to get the most out of some of the cars. Otherwise lets all just play some arcade banger.

I'm sure you're aware that you can exit the practice session and change / adjust to your hearts content , more convenient than having to pit really.

Re your earlier comment on GT5 being tooo short , yeah , fair call on the A spec / B spec element but I believe online is where its longevity lies. Take a look at how many online tournaments and race series are currently on hold ! Racing people will always be heaps better than racing AI anyway :) Track maker , photo mode and seasonal events also keep it interesting when you're sick of grinding for $$. Photomode is briliant , I've had a lot of people that aren't aware of the game saying how real it looks. One of the bits PD got right !

My latest infatuation. 599. by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dozer have you found with F1 2010 that once you reach Monaco the AI seems to get a lot harder? I have the AI set on legendary, and I just can't seem to be placing where I was in the previous 4 odd races. Not sure if this is a bug or my driving has just gone out the window but just wanted to know if you came across the same thing.
It chops and changes all season. Once you've done a few seasons you get to understand which tracks suit your style and which tracks you suck on. Catalunya (Spain) is a bogey for anyone who plays on the harder setting but you'll get a surprise when you head there in a McLaren or a Ferrari and you nail a top five result.
The part that I've discoevered that shows the AI is a smart thinker and proves it is a reall y smart game is in races where you do mandatory pit stops. If you qualify on the option tyre then move onto prime tyres you will see your laps times improve during the race as your fuel load lessens. You feel as though you are going to drive right up to the back of the car in front and just breeze past them but this isn't always the case. The AI goes with you and you are constantly trading fastest laps with the guys around you. Pit strategy is such a vital part of this game and it all boils down to how many laps you spent qualifying on your option tyres as to how long you can go without stopping. If you pit last while still doing good lap times then you avoid the dreaded pit box hold up where your car controller has to hold you while the other cars in the lane pass you, I fucking hate that!
It is so rewarding to win a tough race but it is even sweeter to win a title after slogging at it for ages.

Steve-O, I agree on Metal Gear, it is a stellar title. I didn't touch another game while I played through it and just when you think it is over and Snake has finished...........it goes all on it's head and off you go again! However, I am glad I finished it because it was starting to shit me as there was probably too much to the story. In saying that, I won't be getting the next title, it would drive me up the wall.