Please delete.

BT180

Max Pfaff
A bit biased, but another vote here for the Strive. Had mine over a year now with no issues. The SS cable can stretch and periodically needs adjusting via the handlebar barrel adjuster. I think that's what a lot of people mistake as a faulty SS unit.

asambell

Likes Dirt
A bit biased, but another vote here for the Strive. Had mine over a year now with no issues. The SS cable can stretch and periodically needs adjusting via the handlebar barrel adjuster. I think that's what a lot of people mistake as a faulty SS unit.
Much appreciated. I've read a lot of good things about the Strive. I might be leaning towards the Spectral or Scott Genius though for the following reasons:
- Boost hubs
- 150mm travel
- Ligtweight
- Ability to run both 27.5 & 29 inch wheels (Scott)

Thoughts?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Much appreciated. I've read a lot of good things about the Strive. I might be leaning towards the Spectral or Scott Genius though for the following reasons:
- Boost hubs
- 150mm travel
- Ligtweight

Thoughts?
Spectral isn't boost (2017)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Totally different to the other opinions in this thread. I found the shapeshifter annoying to operate without making a noticeable difference.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

asambell

Likes Dirt
Totally different to the other opinions in this thread. I found the shapeshifter annoying to operate without making a noticeable difference.

I've heàrd this a few times. Did you purchase a Strive or ride a mates? Which would you recommend? Thoughts on the Spectral?

shore_2

Likes Dirt
It was a mates. I know two people that have bought them. Both turned up weeks later than they were meant to too. One is now out of action with a blown shock. They seem to ride well. I'm in no hurry to own one though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've heàrd this a few times. Did you purchase a Strive or ride a mates? Which would you recommend? Thoughts on the Spectral?
Have a read of this......
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sh...yon-MTB-Real-Life-Experience&highlight=canyon

I've been riding mine for 6 months now, and although its had a few Mods from standard, its an exceptional bike for the money.

Like you, I am not much of a climbing fanatic, I hate it, and see it as a means to get to the top before the fun starts. For me, the Strive was to close to what I had come off (an SB6), a little long in travel and slack in angles for general trail riding (Strive would make a great Gravity Enduro race bike tho) and I wanted something a little more trail friendly that would still descend and excite.

I've put a Cane Creek iL Coil on it with a remote climb switch and a Vorsprung Luftkappe in the Pike. It is now the bike I hoped it would be....

BT180

Max Pfaff
- Boost hubs
- 150mm travel
- Ligtweight

Thoughts?
Depends what you're after really. As others have said, do you want a bike that's more trail friendly but maybe outgunned on the descents occasionally, or a bike that is just a means to get to the top, but will smash the downs? In saying that though, my Strive will climb anything. It's not the most nimble bike amongst switchbacks, but it will still make it to the top along with any other bike. I have the the CF9 with 160mm rear travel (130mm in XC mode) and the 170mm Fox 36. Still climbs like a goat with all that travel.

Also, the CF8 is $1k off at the moment, if you weren't aware - https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/strive/2017/strive-cf-8-0-race.html

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Depends what you're after really. As others have said, do you want a bike that's more trail friendly but maybe outgunned on the descents occasionally, or a bike that is just a means to get to the top, but will smash the downs? In saying that though, my Strive will climb anything. It's not the most nimble bike amongst switchbacks, but it will still make it to the top along with any other bike. I have the the CF9 with 160mm rear travel (130mm in XC mode) and the 170mm Fox 36. Still climbs like a goat with all that travel.

Also, the CF8 is $1k off at the moment, if you weren't aware - https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/strive/2017/strive-cf-8-0-race.html
How does it work with 170 up front? Canyon are all over the place with their information about whether or not this bike is designed to take a 170mm fork, but spec the top model with a 170 Fox, which has the same A/C as a Lyrik, which they say you can not run. And then you see one of their team riders running a 180mm fork...

Personally I'd rather have a bike that was either designed for a 170mm fork or not.

Are you saying it's not that nimble in the switchbacks due to the extremely long reach? I would have thought the very short chain stays would have cancelled that out.

BT180

Max Pfaff
How does it work with 170 up front? Canyon are all over the place with their information about whether or not this bike is designed to take a 170mm fork, but spec the top model with a 170 Fox, which has the same A/C as a Lyrik, which they say you can not run. And then you see one of their team riders running a 180mm fork...

Personally I'd rather have a bike that was either designed for a 170mm fork or not.

Are you saying it's not that nimble in the switchbacks due to the extremely long reach? I would have thought the very short chain stays would have cancelled that out.
170mm is fine in the 36 at least. The CF9 is specc'ed from Canyon with that fork, so it's definitely OK. Warranty and everything. The 170mm 36 has the same A/C as the 160mm Pike. The 170mm Lyric may be different, I don't know. Potentially the 170mm Lyric has a larger A/C than the Fox which is why they say don't run one? Team riders can basically run whatever they want as they don't have to worry about voiding warranties.

To be honest, it's fine around switchbacks. Just takes more body language to manoeuvre around when compared to a dedicated trail bike.

asambell

Likes Dirt
Have a read of this......
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sh...yon-MTB-Real-Life-Experience&highlight=canyon

I've been riding mine for 6 months now, and although its had a few Mods from standard, its an exceptional bike for the money.

Like you, I am not much of a climbing fanatic, I hate it, and see it as a means to get to the top before the fun starts. For me, the Strive was to close to what I had come off (an SB6), a little long in travel and slack in angles for general trail riding (Strive would make a great Gravity Enduro race bike tho) and I wanted something a little more trail friendly that would still descend and excite.

I've put a Cane Creek iL Coil on it with a remote climb switch and a Vorsprung Luftkappe in the Pike. It is now the bike I hoped it would be....
Thank you. Read a lot of good things about the Strive. How'd you like the SB6? If only money wasn't an issue, I'd probably look at a SB5 or alike.

asambell

Likes Dirt
Seems like the Canyon is leading at this stage. I do wonder if I'm overlooking any other bikes in this category. Again, around the $5-6k Mark and 150mm of travel front and rear. Based on my riding as per opening statement.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thank you. Read a lot of good things about the Strive. How'd you like the SB6? If only money wasn't an issue, I'd probably look at a SB5 or alike.
SB6 is a weapon of a bike. Descends like a freight train and has an epic pedalling platform with minimal bob and pedal kickback.

Problem is, you need to ride the ring off it to get anywhere near its full potential. Along with the Strive... would make an epic gravity enduro race bike.

As an everyday "trail" bike.... not so much. For the 20% where it excelled, there was 80% where it was harder work than I would have liked.

Spectral (with a coil) is a far better all round trail/AM bike.... but the standard Monarch is poo.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Seems like the Canyon is leading at this stage. I do wonder if I'm overlooking any other bikes in this category. Again, around the $5-6k Mark and 150mm of travel front and rear. Based on my riding as per opening statement.
You can't really go wrong with whatever you choose in this day and age. Not really many dud bikes out there in that price point. What about a Jeffsy? hearing really good things about these - http://au.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/513

asambell

Likes Dirt
SB6 is a weapon of a bike. Descends like a freight train and has an epic pedalling platform with minimal bob and pedal kickback.

Problem is, you need to ride the ring off it to get anywhere near its full potential. Along with the Strive... would make an epic gravity enduro race bike.

As an everyday "trail" bike.... not so much. For the 20% where it excelled, there was 80% where it was harder work than I would have liked.

Spectral (with a coil) is a far better all round trail/AM bike.... but the standard Monarch is poo.

Yeah, the Spectral is definitely on the list...now. Particularly with the specs, weight, and as much as i like the idea of the Shapeshifter, it's just another thing to worry about/service/etc. I bought my Stumpjumper which had (and I say 'had') the BRAIN which was a piece of shite! This has me thinking similarly to the Shapeshifter. Happy to be proven wrong, but you guys know what it's like when something doesn't quite work on a mtb, it sticks with you.

Last edited:

asambell

Likes Dirt
You can't really go wrong with whatever you choose in this day and age. Not really many dud bikes out there in that price point. What about a Jeffsy? hearing really good things about these - http://au.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/513
I'm probably being a bit pedantic with this, as you're probably right. Going from my 2010 Stumpy, anything from the 2017-2018 range (within reason) will likely blow the Stumpy away. The YT was right up on my list earlier, though a (and yes it was the only one) review questioned the longevity of the frame after they found the rear triangle to be a bit loose after a few rides. Unsure, but it kind of stuck with me. Thoughts? Anyone ridden or owned a YT?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Ah. I didn't realize you were open to other brands as well.

I've been having a blast on my Norco Sight since I got it. Climbs quite well, and it's a whole lot of fun on the descents (mostly Lysterfield and You Yangs). Under 5 grand, too (unless you go carbon)!

asambell

Likes Dirt
Ah. I didn't realize you were open to other brands as well.

I've been having a blast on my Norco Sight since I got it. Climbs quite well, and it's a whole lot of fun on the descents (mostly Lysterfield and You Yangs). Under 5 grand, too (unless you go carbon)!
Cheers Spike. Had a mate snap his rear triangle after hitting a relatively small jump. Somehow these things stick with you, so Norco hasn't been on my radar. I understand that these things can happen with any bike, but not too familiar with Norco either.

volcanoman

Likes Bikes
Just throwing in my two cents -

I think for the riding you've described a 140mm-150mm trail bike would be ideal. Maybe even less travel.

I've done a fair bit of riding at the first three spots you've mentioned and found my 2017 remedy is more than enough to handle them. I think if I were to buy another bike I'd be looking at something a bit lighter on to make the climbing slightly less painful, and the descents more playful. Especially for lysterfield and the lower bit of arthur's seat.

Also keep an eye on Commencal in the next few days/weeks. Noticed Yoann Barelli possibly teasing a new bike on his IG account a couple of days ago.