Post Up Your Dirt Bike.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this is my little atomik....

sounds so nice... goes pretty hard too

i mainly just hit little jumps on this and a little mx at my mates place

Saosin

Likes Bikes
Im actually looking into buying my first bike , ive never actually been on a bike by myself and when i did it was years ago.

Im looking at something that will be used on trails and on a farm for general fun.

As a begginer with 0 experience what sort of bike should i be looking at?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Im actually looking into buying my first bike , ive never actually been on a bike by myself and when i did it was years ago.

Im looking at something that will be used on trails and on a farm for general fun.

Budget?
Air-cooled 250 4stroke - e.g. Yamaha TTR250, Suzuki DRZ250 etc as they have electric start. Honda XR250 fits the bill also but no elec start - which is fine if you're not totally unfit (also some XR250's have had a haaard life).
If you think you'll want to ride aggressively you could think about a water cooled 250 4T like Yamaha WR250F etc - but they're more expensive, there's a lot more maintenance with these, and they're not confidence-inspiring for complete beginners.

Do thumpsters count?
No.

Last edited:

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt

I have a 1993 model Yamaha DT200R 2 stroke trail bike that can be road registered. Ive just finished rebuilding it and its very reliable. It's got soft suspension, long seat for 2 people, not too powerful and is great for a beginner and having fun. This is the bike that i learnt on and has been great over the last few years, but I'm a quicker rider now and i need a newer bike. Let me know if you're interested.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Budget?
Air-cooled 250 4stroke - e.g. Yamaha TTR250, Suzuki DRZ250 etc as they have electric start. Honda XR250 fits the bill also but no elec start - which is fine if you're not totally unfit (also some XR250's have had a haaard life).

If you think you'll want to ride aggressively you could think about a water cooled 250 4T like Yamaha WR250F etc - but they're more expensive, there's a lot more maintenance with these, and they're not confidence-inspiring for complete beginners.

No.
Yeah, but you can't kill the Xr's. It just doesn't work.

Some of you guys have some pretty nice bikes.

Here's Mine.

*Snip*

Sex. Two mates have them, one has a Leo Vince pipe. It. Is. Fucking. Fantastic.

Sounds so awesome. I drool just thinking about it.

Me? An RM80 that I got ages ago but stopped riding. Now saving for a KTM 250 SX. Weapon.

Gonna take a while though...

mlsred

Likes Dirt
^^^agreed 100%
dt200 was the bike I learned to ride on, I managed to crash it a few times,first crash nobody told me how to work the clutch so me being 8 years old and on a bike waaaay to big for me I pulled the front brake (just like I would do on my pushy) and didnt touch the clutch at all, end result was massive fishies for about 50 metres and me lying on the ground thinking to myself "what in the name of f*** just happened"

the other crashes was just me getting a bit to cocky, and the dt200 stood up to all that abuse and still ran like a swiss clock.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I have a 1993 model Yamaha DT200R 2 stroke trail bike that can be road registered. Ive just finished rebuilding it and its very reliable. It's got soft suspension, long seat for 2 people, not too powerful and is great for a beginner and having fun. This is the bike that i learnt on and has been great over the last few years, but I'm a quicker rider now and i need a newer bike. Let me know if you're interested.

or a kdx-200, road registable, fast enough, tough as nails, cheap parts,.. massive seat, and forgiving suspension/handling.

pretty damn similiar to the dt's, from memory, but with a little more go.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Got my first bike the other week(month?)

And with its Motard Kit on

Not bad for my first bike....EVER.
they are my favourite bike of all time.

i rember being next to one, in the bush on a fire road, doing about 80k, and he drops a gear, pop's up the front, and hoons of at least 120 on his back wheel, trusty kdx tried to keep up.... but well, it just didnt happen.

my mate just got rid of his aprillia, sxv 4.5, that was a fun bike, so fast (even through it was full motard, and never had knobbies for it)... its only bad point was the on going cost's, it was a bloody money pit, like all european semi-rare things i spose.