Post your 29er!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all, well after riding a Single Speed Rigid for the last 18 months (Single Track/Bike Path commute), I decided to do an upgrade. Single speed was/is awesome but for my commute 20-30k a day, I was either too slow on the flat (spinning out) or it was too tough on the single track climbs - to the point where I tore a link in half. I use the commute as a training ride, so it aren't a leisurely cruise home, I also take any single track I can find just to keep the enjoyment levels up. I try and keep my average above 20kph. And my ascent is around 300m for commute by the time you take in some single track climbs.

Tried different combinations of gearing 33:20 (good on climbs but would spin out at about 26k on flat), 33:18 (ok on flat, but too tough on climbs). And when I say tough, I can cope with climbing in a hard gear, but know it's not ideal gear training wise.

So enter the 8 Speed Shimano Alfine Internal Hub (with Sun EQ25 Rim), new paint job on frame ... black of course got sick of the funny safari suit style paint job bike came with. One issue I had was getting the chain line right, had to turn rear cog around so it would line up with front chain ring. Also had to put small dings in frame to accommodate large 38 cog and chain line.

I have 38:20 gearing, so far it's the perfect combination of gearing 4th gear is 1:1 ratio and that's fine on the flat so that leaves me with enough climbing (3) and top end gears (4). Climbing in 1 feels like middle ring and maybe 1 down so like 32:32 - so still a good workout on climbs. Top end gear feels like your typical middle ring to the smallest gear, so it's fine.

Hub operation is smooth and silent like a single speed, gear changes are exact and snappy. Changing up under load is pretty much immediate although on a big climb there's a slight delay. But you can change under load which is nice. Changing a flat could be a bit of a hassle, have to carry a 14mm spanner and cable can be tricky to reconnect, but Stan's is doing the job of keeping punctures away so should be ok.

Hub + kit, Sun rim, DT spokes, build cost around $400 all up.

Before & After:
Before ....
29er_AvantiFactory.jpg
After ....
Ready for morning commute:
29er_AvantiBlk.jpg
Black:
29er_AvantiBlk2.jpg
Ready for morning commute 2:
29er_AvantiBlk3.jpg
Shimano Alfine 8 Speed IGH:
29er_AvantiBlkWheel.jpg

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet! Nice work.

The black looks great. A mate of mine picked up a Monocog, that and yours looks terrific (Love my Unit but white is a farker to clean). Nice job on the custom cable routing too!

Here is one of mine. Singular Pegasus

Singular Pegasus Large, (Ti)
WB rock solid forks
Easton XC one wheels
Hope brakes braided lines, floating rotors
Truvative noir cranks
Hope ceramic BB
XTR pedals
Eriksen post
Ti clamp
Sexy leopardskin SDG bel air Ti seat
Ragley carnegie bars in kevlar
Thomson stem
hope headset
Spongy grips
A bunch of Ti bolts
Race kings with tubes and stans goo from a failed attempt at tubeless...
Weighs in at 8.6kg

004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
My wife`s new toy.
Nuff said.

Cheers
MH
Still looks as good as it did on the work stand yesterday. I do like the colour. James wasted no time in building it up for her. So what time is she heading off in the morning for her maiden adventure. Alarm set already:D

What's another day stuck inside looking after the kids. If the boss is happy, the house is happy:D

abevern

Likes Dirt
MTB101's K*I*S*S

Love the KISS. Looks fantastic in black.
Nice work on the Alfine conversion - have been toying with the same idea, though not sure I'd like to modify my chain stay to fit a bigger front ring!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the KISS. Looks fantastic in black.
Nice work on the Alfine conversion - have been toying with the same idea, though not sure I'd like to modify my chain stay to fit a bigger front ring!
thanks ... it was only a few mms required ... a gentle tap with a small hammer - the big ring fits, it's the chain line that's the issue so you have to get the ring as close as possible to the frame so it's aligned. So far bike is a pretty good all rounder.

easo78

Likes Bikes

So I've been considering buying a 29er for quite some time... And today after unsuspectingly strolling into a bike shop for a look around, I am the proud owner of a shiny new monocog!

I was instantly struck by her good looks and big, round Wheels! So far I've only ridden her home from the shop, but it's safe to say, we are made for each other. I feel we are going to have a long and happy relationship.

Last edited:

redrocket

Likes Dirt
this is my custom carbon build. just missing a 90mm stem. weighs in at 8.9kg

Frame - Dengfu Chiner Carbon 29er medium
Front shock/fork - 2011 Fox F29 RLC FIT QR 1.5 Tapered Steerer
Handlebars - Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 680mm Flat
Stem - Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 90mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - Crank Brothers Cobalt lock on foam
Saddle - SDG TiFly Kevlar Black
Seatpost - Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 31.6 x 400 Inline
Brakes -Avid X0 6" Front and Rear with blue rotor bolts
Cranks - Truvativ X0 175mm GXP with Homebrewed spidered ring 32t, Beer components BB30 ecc BB.
Chain - Shimano Dura ace 10spd
Pedals - Crank Brothers Candy
Cog - Homebrewed 20t 2 piece SS and custom carbon spacers
Wheels - Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 29er(2 for the blue) with Token Ti QR skewers
Tyres - Specialized Renegade s-works 29x2.1 with stans tubeless
Total weight - 8.9kg

Attachments

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this is my custom carbon build. just missing a 90mm stem. weighs in at 8.9kg
that's an impressive looking build, have to say at that weight, if you could keep it pumping along, man it would fly through the single track - if you told me it was a Niner I would almost believe you ... well let's call it a Cniner. Where did you get that frame from?

redrocket

Likes Dirt
that's an impressive looking build, have to say at that weight, if you could keep it pumping along, man it would fly through the single track - if you told me it was a Niner I would almost believe you ... well let's call it a Cniner. Where did you get that frame from?
people can call it what they want. maybe "chiner". The build of the frame is flawless and the service is top notch, which as we all know is somthing the others can improve upon.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
people can call it what they want. maybe "chiner". The build of the frame is flawless and the service is top notch, which as we all know is somthing the others can improve upon.
yeah chiner ha, but really won't matter when you're climbing like a machine. do you have a link? mate's interested in building one.

redrocket

Likes Dirt
yeah chiner ha, but really won't matter when you're climbing like a machine. do you have a link? mate's interested in building one.
http://dengfubikes.com/index.asp not a great deal of info on the site but hit the contact link and email Tony Yang. he will get back to you and he understands all the techo stuff you ask. They have been super busy of late with all the road bike orders thanks to the tour de france. I payed through paypal and although it made me nervous he more than came through with the goods.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://dengfubikes.com/index.asp not a great deal of info on the site but hit the contact link and email Tony Yang. he will get back to you and he understands all the techo stuff you ask. They have been super busy of late with all the road bike orders thanks to the tour de france. I payed through paypal and although it made me nervous he more than came through with the goods.
ok thanks.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which ebb are you using?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
if you told me it was a Niner I would almost believe you ... well let's call it a Cniner.

You are very funny today - refreshing!