Post your 29er!

fergo

Likes Dirt
As the front end on 29ers are naturally higher than on a 26er, (depending on geometry and head tube length) ...
The stock standard handlebars on my new Anthem Advanced X 29er are 20mm lower than my lowered Kona 120 26". The kona stem was lowered as much as possible and the Anthem has been dropped 10mm. Still have another 30mm to go if I want.

Probably explains why i've adjusted to the 29er easier than I thought I would.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Santa Cruz Superlight 29

3 month ride report.......

It's been a great bike so far primarily fulfilling the role I wanted it for, particularly where 29r's are great for me which is touring dirt back roads, forestries and the odd bit of single track. It even got a spin on a club DX race where I bested my time on one section.

Changes have been limited to trying to get the best out of the 100mm of single pivot suspension, which let's face it is a bit like a knife....just there to do a job, utilitarian in operation and design. I started off with the recommended SC pressure which made the bike ride like a plank of wood....harsh and unfriendly. Thought that it was just the stock RL shock needing some run in time but I failed to see any improvement...so gradually, 5psi at a time reduced pressure till it worked for me. Now I'm actually using all the travel and it's not feeling hardtail like and out of the saddle pedaling still feeling firm without generating excessive bob, not that different to a TB to me.

During the suspension tune, I installed some Burgtec offset shock bushings gaining 1deg of slackness. Not a monumental change to the geometry, just a tweek that suits my handling preference and makes the bike feel more like a trailbike. Actually it's such a fun bike not like people imagine a 29r to be, drifts predictably, so easy to get on the back wheel and balanced enough to pump a little manual into.

Wishes.....if it only had another 20mm of travel, slacker head angle from the factory and a 2" stroke shock....and no, not a TBLT.....:target:

Spec
Weight: 26.4Lbs/11.9Kg
Frame: SC Superlight 29 Medium
Shock: Fox Float RL
Fork: Fox F29 RLC 120mm
Stem: Pro 65mm
Bars: Gravity Carbon 25/710mm
Grips: ESI Racers Edge
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Seat: Charge Spoon
Drivetrain: XT 10spd 32/22 (K-edge Bashie & Chain Catcher) , 11-36t Cass, Shadow+ Derailuer with Hope matchmaker clamps!
Brakes: F-Hope M4 Tech/R-Hope X2 Tech Stealth Black
Rotors: Clarks 160mm
Wheels: 32H Hope Pro2 with Stans Crests
Tyres: Maxxis Ikon Rear/Ignitor Front converted to tubeless.

Attachments

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
superlight

3 month ride report.......

It's been a great bike so far primarily fulfilling the role I wanted it for, particularly where 29r's are great for me which is touring dirt back roads, forestries and the odd bit of single track. It even got a spin on a club DX race where I bested my time on one section.

Changes have been limited to trying to get the best out of the 100mm of single pivot suspension, which let's face it is a bit like a knife....just there to do a job, utilitarian in operation and design. I started off with the recommended SC pressure which made the bike ride like a plank of wood....harsh and unfriendly. Thought that it was just the stock RL shock needing some run in time but I failed to see any improvement...so gradually, 5psi at a time reduced pressure till it worked for me. Now I'm actually using all the travel and it's not feeling hardtail like and out of the saddle pedaling still feeling firm without generating excessive bob, not that different to a TB to me.

During the suspension tune, I installed some Burgtec offset shock bushings gaining 1deg of slackness. Not a monumental change to the geometry, just a tweek that suits my handling preference and makes the bike feel more like a trailbike. Actually it's such a fun bike not like people imagine a 29r to be, drifts predictably, so easy to get on the back wheel and balanced enough to pump a little manual into.

Wishes.....if it only had another 20mm of travel, slacker head angle from the factory and a 2" stroke shock....and no, not a TBLT.....:target:

Spec
Weight: 26.4Lbs/11.9Kg
Frame: SC Superlight 29 Medium
Shock: Fox Float RL
Fork: Fox F29 RLC 120mm
Stem: Pro 65mm
Bars: Gravity Carbon 25/710mm
Grips: ESI Racers Edge
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Seat: Charge Spoon
Drivetrain: XT 10spd 32/22 (K-edge Bashie & Chain Catcher) , 11-36t Cass, Shadow+ Derailuer with Hope matchmaker clamps!
Brakes: F-Hope M4 Tech/R-Hope X2 Tech Stealth Black
Rotors: Clarks 160mm
Wheels: 32H Hope Pro2 with Stans Crests
Tyres: Maxxis Ikon Rear/Ignitor Front converted to tubeless.
Nice review mate, how tall are you to ride the medium frame?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Couple of quick snaps of my 2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite with a ZeBosch wheelset (1550 grams as opposed to 2+kg for the stock set), Racing Ralph 2.25 tubeless tyres and ESI silicone grips. 10.8kg.

Finished building a couple of nights ago, took it for a short razz yesterday and then it's off to the Fling tomorrow. Keen!

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

Shaman

Likes Dirt
2013 Merida Big Nine 3000

A few changes so far, mainly revolving around running a SRAM drivetrain instead of the XT that it came with and looking to replace the FOXs with some SIDs in the very near future.
Very little saddle time so far but looks promising. The FULCRUMs in particular look the goods.

Merida Big Nine.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So - headset spacers with a negative rise stem?
Yes fashion police - great concept, more people should do it (within reason).

Looks better with inverted stem and you don't chop your steerer too short in case the next owner needs it longer or you decide you need it longer after playing with fit.

Shaman

Likes Dirt
How do the Rubena tyres perform, running them tubeless??
Been awesome so far. Running a Scylla Front / Zefyros Rear combo at the moment which would be great for fireroad heavy marathons but for more traditional XC will run either a Scylla Front and Rear or even a Kratos on the front. Kratos/Scylla f/r is what Dam McConnel used to win the XC Champs this year FWIW.

From a technical point of view, these are the standard black "Tubeless Supra" versions which are kinda like the Schwalbe Snakeskin equivalent. Not a full UST but has a tubeless bead and some sidewall protection. Both were around the 600g mark which is pretty light all things considered. Mounting was super easy too and managed to get both to seal with a track pump and a minimum of fuss.

Have used Rubena's on my 26" but really looking to put some time into them on the 29er too.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Been awesome so far. Running a Scylla Front / Zefyros Rear combo at the moment which would be great for fireroad heavy marathons but for more traditional XC will run either a Scylla Front and Rear or even a Kratos on the front. Kratos/Scylla f/r is what Dam McConnel used to win the XC Champs this year FWIW.

From a technical point of view, these are the standard black "Tubeless Supra" versions which are kinda like the Schwalbe Snakeskin equivalent. Not a full UST but has a tubeless bead and some sidewall protection. Both were around the 600g mark which is pretty light all things considered. Mounting was super easy too and managed to get both to seal with a track pump and a minimum of fuss.

Have used Rubena's on my 26" but really looking to put some time into them on the 29er too.
Thanks for the info, was considering Rubena tyres for my 29er, but ended up going with something else (Cont. race king 2.0 rear & Cont. X king 2.2 front) I haven't tried them yet, but if they go well I'll stick with them. Otherwise I will give the rubena tyres a go. I did see that Dan was using rubena's, so that's probably a good indication these tyres have some credential.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Van Nic Zion 29er

Cracked my 26" Van Nic Tuareg and got this for warranty.

Built it up last night, Yet to ride it.

Build as more a race/endurace bike versus my play 26" Yeti ASR-5c

Weighing in at 11kg as you see it.

Zion29er.jpg

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
After selling the hard tail I bought this its a 2012 Scalpel 2, I got it at a good price, the only difference between 12/13 models is the new lefty boot, its the first time i've ever ridden a lefty and it feels so so very smooth. So far have just upgraded the brakes to shimano XT. Looking at getting a set of race wheels built up in the future, i'll just have to do my research into the lefty hub situation. Still waiting on a set of XTR race pedals to replace the current ones Sorry about the crap phone camera pic, will post up more when I clean her.

Attachments

Last edited: