Post your 29er!

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Well, here she is.
XL Stumpy Sworks (frame weight 1380grm inc BB)
240's (in white!) on Crest with DT Revolutions (1488grm wheelset)
Custom Reba fork with tapered steerer (1597grm)
2x9 XTR (26/38) chainset (633grm - lighter than XX)
The rest is pretty standard (but light) fare.
As you can tell, its become a bit of an obsession.

I am chuffed. I knew it would be light, but not this light!
I tried for photos of the scales, but the lighting was rubbish on the screen. You can just see it.
I promise, cross my heart, that it was exactly 9.0kg. Its an XL!
Photos of some other scales to come.

It feels ridiculous accelerating and going uphill.
Better keep that weighted down at night - it might float away!

Seriously though - sweet build!

Bodin

GMBC
Well, here she is.
Bloody lovely. Very jealous.

What chainrings are you running?.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
Well, here she is.

I am chuffed. I knew it would be light, but not this light!
I tried for photos of the scales, but the lighting was rubbish on the screen. You can just see it.

It feels ridiculous accelerating and going uphill.
Absolutely Superb.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
What chainrings are you running?.
Firstly - thanks all for the comments - I'm pretty pleased myself with it.

I actually went out twice last night to double check all the locks on the garage!

Re chainrings - they are TA Chinooks. They shift well, are still and last a while. Its an XX front mech that works really well with the smaller diameter of the 'big' ring.

Bike_freak

Likes Dirt
Well, here she is.
What tyres are you running there? They work well?

rangie

Likes Dirt
Well, here she is.

mate, thats one sweet ride!
in a word WOW!
no reason to doubt wt nor acceleration on that thing :)
did frame wt include seatpost clamp, headset or any other hardware?

how does it ride?
is there any vertical compliance at the back?

damn, thats a sweet ride!

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
mate, thats one sweet ride!
in a word WOW!
no reason to doubt wt nor acceleration on that thing :)
did frame wt include seatpost clamp, headset or any other hardware?

how does it ride?
is there any vertical compliance at the back?

damn, thats a sweet ride!
So....first ride on the weekend.
It was awesome. I'm coming off a very nice Niner Air9, so thought it wouldnt be so different. How wrong I was..
Its funny coz I ride a carbon road bike and enthuse as to the difference between that and an Alu road bike, so why I thought the difference in ride quality would not be same off-road I dont know..

So - it seems smoother, quieter, and certainly stiffer at the BB. It climbs very well and there is NO flex in the BB. Even in cross-over gears, when I am out of the saddle under full load, the chain wont rub the front mech. Incredible.

I put on some more sensible tyres for training and took the weight up to 9.5kgs, and it was smashing up the hills.
I noticed the fork was very different to my old 'normal' Reba. the carbon oversized crown and steerer seem to make a huge difference to the stiffness.

So - in a word - I love it. Its time for a race....

BTW - frame weight included the BB, and headset cups (they are integrated), but not bearings in the headset and and seat collar.

See you at Husky...

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
very nice!

Details on fork? Is the upper assembly from a SID?

- Joel
Its a Specialized custom carbon crown. They make it themselves and then bond the Reba lowers into it.
Its full carbon (inc steerer) and is heavily oversized. It is also a tapered steerer (1 1/8th to 1 1/2). I weighed the fork and it was 200grm lighter than my other reba - that is all in the crown and steerer as the lowers are pretty much the same.

I say 'pretty much' as the lock out switch is different from any Reba I've seen - its carbon, and has an indexed feel unlike any Reba I've seen. There is also a travel measurement band on the leg - suggesting some more 'mods'.
Strangest of all, its 90mm travel - which again is bespoke to Specialized. I think they have been playing with the internals.
Whatever they've done - its sweet.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I have one

Here are the first shots of my new 29er. Still have a few things to do before it's finished. A new wheel set, probably some Stan's Crest rims, Hope Pro II hubs and DT Revolution spokes, Thomson post (when I can find a 30.9 for sale!!!) and some new grips.
If you are after a Thomson straight black 30.9 then l have one for sale - $100. Got grips, bars, saddles and tyres too. PM me if you are keen

JD

Win

Likes Dirt
Stan's Crest rims, Hope Pro II hubs and DT Revolution spokes,
I can comfirm the weight of these at 1590gms with black rims.
Add 50gms for powercoated white rims
Add 25 gms for 16 comp' spokes on the drive side
Alloy nipples

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Its a Specialized custom carbon crown. They make it themselves and then bond the Reba lowers into it.
Its full carbon (inc steerer) and is heavily oversized. It is also a tapered steerer (1 1/8th to 1 1/2). I weighed the fork and it was 200grm lighter than my other reba - that is all in the crown and steerer as the lowers are pretty much the same.

I say 'pretty much' as the lock out switch is different from any Reba I've seen - its carbon, and has an indexed feel unlike any Reba I've seen. There is also a travel measurement band on the leg - suggesting some more 'mods'.
Strangest of all, its 90mm travel - which again is bespoke to Specialized. I think they have been playing with the internals.
Whatever they've done - its sweet.
Very nice. The indexed carbon lockout lever is seen on some of the SID forks, it's just the Motion Control unit which is poppped into the Spec. Reba by the sounds of it. Travel adjustment on the RS air forks is made with rubber bumpers, so making it 90mm is no hard task, simply replace the stock 20mm bumper with a 10mm one.

It will be great when the QR15 version of the Reba 29ers are available here.

- Joel

krisko

Likes Dirt
Giant XTC29 XL

XL Giant XTC 29
Fox RL fork
Sram X0 drivetrain, XT front derailer
XT 180 cranks with rotorings, Superlight chain
XT Cassette
Look carbon pedals
KCNC seatpost, WTB Ti saddle
Controltech scandium flatbar
3t Doric 110 stem
Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes
Stans 355, Hope II hubs, Aligator rotors
Continental Race King front tyre, tubeless
Maxis Aspen rear tyre 60tpi, tubeless
Jetblack Ergo grips
Flite bottle cages x2
Ripcord cables
Cycle computer

General
Weight: 10.8kg as listed

Racing Weight 10.48kg
I run an Maxxis Aspen 60tpi upfront for racing with Ritchey foam grips, no computer and one cage at and it's super reliable.

Im picking up my new Jet 9 frame tomorrow and will post pics once its built.
The hardtail is great for races and general trail riding less than 3hours, after this the back begins to hurt.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yeah frame and fork!

When the Jet 9 arrives later today Im going to Single speed the XTC again.
Albeit with most of the factory kit. Last time i had it singled it weighed the same with heavy seatpost, bar, stem etc

Nothing beats riding single for strength. When you get ack on the geared bike you tend to push harder because your used to it.

Win

Likes Dirt
Yes, everybody should have two bikes, well three actually, a SS, a dualie and a HT race bike and all 29ers of course

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
Picked up the newest addition to my stable on Friday night. After a short ride this afternoon, I am absolutely hooked on the big wheeled concept, I don't know for what reason I will need to ride my 26inch again. Had the itch to buy a 29er even since I demo'ed one about a month ago on my regular trails. Hearing Trickle rave about his new Niner at the local Crit track last week, then seeing this pristine example come up for sale.....the rest is history.

Loving the raw finish, although the clear cost does look a bit thin. Bit of 3M film applied to the underside of the downtube this arvo.

Good advice that. Might come in handy at the next Enduro when I feel like stopping for a beer.

Only qibble I have with the bike are the Minute forks. They are very plush, but click like a mo-fo when the Absolute platform is engaged. Got my LBS contacting Dirt Works about this, I hear it is a pretty common problem with this fork, caused by a dodgey shim inside the damper cartride. Anyone got an idea at how much this is going to cost me to get fixed...?

I am going to put a Salsa seat clamp on her, and some Jet Black ano red chainring bolts. Got my eye on a 640mm 3T carbon flat bar, and I have a -17deg Thomson X2 Stem on my track bike I am going to transfer across. The wheels are heavy, and will probably get upgraded in time. Thinking probably Hope Pro II hubs on Stans Crest rims....pretty hard to go wrong there.

Happy trails y'all.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am going to put a Salsa seat clamp on her, and some Jet Black ano red chainring bolts. Got my eye on a 640mm 3T carbon flat bar, and I have a -17deg Thomson X2 Stem on my track bike I am going to transfer across. The wheels are heavy, and will probably get upgraded in time. Thinking probably Hope Pro II hubs on Stans Crest rims....pretty hard to go wrong there.

Happy trails y'all.
Toms bike right??
A very nice machine and barely ridden.
I thought that the clicking issue was a warranty repair, but maybe I am wrong on that.