Post your 29er!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JD, what a beautiful rig, and for one so large that's a decent weight too!
I hope it's a keeper and puts a huge smile on your face.

Is there a dually in your sights too?

Glad you're on a rig that fits, finally! :^)

The Reverend.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD, what a beautiful rig, and for one so large that's a decent weight too!
I hope it's a keeper and puts a huge smile on your face.

Is there a dually in your sights too?

Glad you're on a rig that fits, finally! :^)

The Reverend.
Thanks Rev
No FS ATM - won't have the funds for some time.

Jay Taylor

Likes Bikes
The ChunderDragon redux

Finally got some updates (some mechanical, some purdy & colour matchy) for the "ChunderDragon" - It's like a Thunder Dragon's boozy uncle...

Ragley 40mm stem
RaceFace Half Nelson grips
Ardent 2.4 front
Ardent 2.25 back
Hope seat post clamp
RaceFace 30t NW
Zee front shifter
Zee rear mech
Crank Brothers Candy pedals
Token crank bolt
Removed headtube badge - it was crooked from the time of purchase and really annoying.

Weight with pedals: Heavy
Weight without pedals: Still Heavy

image6.jpeg

Last edited:

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Niner ROS 9

Posted this up in the AM hard tail thread so if it is not allowed, let me know.
Anyway, here is my just landed ROS 9.
Most parts have come off my EMD 9, so there's a bit of upgrading to do over time. (have already lost the white seat and grips for black versions of both)

Niner ROS 9 Forge Grey Large
Rockshox Revelation RCT3 130mm fork
Shimano drivetrain
Shimano brakes (hope to upgrade to XT 180/160 front/rear)
SRAM RISE 40 wheel set (first to be upgraded - looking at Stans Arch or probably FLOW, maybe Specialized Roval Alloy)
Shimano 1x10 (XT Shadow rear mech)
WTB Vigilante 2.2 tyres
KS Lev dropper
Niner alloy bar and Trail stem

Juz

Attachments

Ackland

chats d'élevage
SRAM RISE 40 wheel set (first to be upgraded - looking at Stans Arch or probably FLOW, maybe Specialized Roval Alloy)
If your budget will allow..... look at the Syntace wide rims.... with some Ano Hope or Tune King/Kong hubs, that would be beastly!

NGOLFU

Cannon Fodder
Heres mine... just got it as I'm getting back into the scene...

2015 specialized rockhopper expert evo
its pretty cool... but can't wait to start adding my touches to it.

Frank

bike.jpg

JDB

Likes Dirt
Argh 2016 Trek Fuel EX 29er has just been released. I think my will has been broken, only question is carbon or alloy? 15 mm shorter chainstays than 2015, boost hubs front and rear, switch link, reAckitv shock on the EX8, EX9 comes with the new Fox 34 at 130 mm. Also to find out if Bupa 15% discount is going to apply again this year.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The EX9 with the 130mm sounds like the go. I am currently trying to justify the purchase in my head

JDB

Likes Dirt
The EX9 with the 130mm sounds like the go. I am currently trying to justify the purchase in my head
I have a spread sheet... The EX8 is great for the price and is tempting me. Could purchase and aftermarket fork and still have money left over to chuck towards some carbon rims. Plus its black rather than Volt (Vomit) Green. Been quoted 17th July delivery, so very tempting.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I have a spread sheet... The EX8 is great for the price and is tempting me. Could purchase and aftermarket fork and still have money left over to chuck towards some carbon rims. Plus its black rather than Volt (Vomit) Green. Been quoted 17th July delivery, so very tempting.
Yeah, the green looks terrible on the computer. I liked the Sram 1x on the ex9, but your right that value isn't great on that model. I really don't have nearly 5g to drop on a bike anyway.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I prefer the green to be honest... and the Ex9 with X1 11 speed SRAM over Ex8 2x10 SLX Shimano, Reverb over cheapy KS and Xt over Deore brakes...... I know where my money would be.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I've been lusting over the 2015 Fuel Ex 9.8 for ages...now I'm lusting after the 2016 9.8! Currently riding a 2014 Trance 27.5 1, but it's not the right bike for me...I want something closer to the XC end of the trail bike spectrum, and this one seems to fit the bill. The 2x11 works for me at the moment - I'm a big guy, and struggle on some climbs, but at least with this setup switching to a 1x11 XT setup further down the track when I've built up more endurance should be fairly cheap and painless.

Keeping an eye out for any sales on the 2015 model too...picking one of those up on the cheap wouldn't be bad either!

Anyone have any ideas about when they'll start to show up in the shops?

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Posted this up in the AM hard tail thread so if it is not allowed, let me know.
Anyway, here is my just landed ROS 9.
Most parts have come off my EMD 9, so there's a bit of upgrading to do over time. (have already lost the white seat and grips for black versions of both)

Niner ROS 9 Forge Grey Large
Rockshox Revelation RCT3 130mm fork
Shimano drivetrain
Shimano brakes (hope to upgrade to XT 180/160 front/rear)
Shimano 1x10 (XT Shadow rear mech)
WTB Vigilante 2.2 tyres
KS Lev dropper
Niner alloy bar and Trail stem

Juz

Niiiice. Ride impressions? how's it go on singletrack? Not too much bike?

D

Deleted member FN2187

My Niner Jet9.

Sorry for the dark photo, I only just finished putting her together. Parts are shitty, I know. I bought the frame and fork on gumtree for $650 samoleans, bargain! I'm using the parts off my Fisher X Caliber until I can afford upgrades. Pretty happy with the outcome. Took a travel spacer out of the reebas to take the forks out to 120mm for slacker geo.

Attachments

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
"Mutant" Trance =)

This is my 2013 "Mutant" Trance 29er.........which I picked up for an absolute steal about 16 months ago.

I decided to have bit of a play with the geometry last week and had the Revelations "stretched" from the standard 120mm travel to 150mm.........hence the mutant tag. =) A much cheaper upgrade than shelling out for a new set of Pikes, at this point in time.
It's needed the stem to come down somewhat since the conversion as i felt a touch too far back on the bike after the first ride, but with that adjustment, it feels "much more homely" and will be even more of a blast on the descents.

It's running a 1X10 SRAM X0 drive train with a RaceFace NW 34 ring up front.

Wheels are the stock but "tubeless out of the box" PTRX1's, with that lush sounding DT Swiss rear hub. I know there are better wheels out there, but I'm in no hurry to get rid of these as they seem to be holding up to the abuse nicely and tubeless set up is a sinch. ;)
I also got rid of the Giant Contact dropper it came with, (as that was complete garbage) and I've thrown on my ever reliable KS 900i which is still going strong 4 years on.
The rear has the Monarch RT3, which soaks up the bumps OK.

Up front the Giant carbon SLR stem and 725mm carbon SLR bars with 19mm rise, keep the arms pretty comfortable. Could not go back to alloy bars after these.

Being the 00 model, there's not many of these around so even though it is a Giant................ it still has a little bit of uniqueness about it and the chrome/black/blue frame colour looks lush. (shame the red dropper accents kill that colour flow at the moment he he)

Original spec below:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.x.29er.00/12031/58354/#specifications

Attachments

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Nice trance disco. I own a 14 version. I have mine set up more on the Xc/ trail side of things but they are very capable. They only released your model in Australia too and the model ran for only two years before being killed off by the 27.5 marketing bandwagon. Happy shredding

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
Nice trance disco. I own a 14 version. I have mine set up more on the Xc/ trail side of things but they are very capable. They only released your model in Australia too and the model ran for only two years before being killed off by the 27.5 marketing bandwagon. Happy shredding
Yeah, it's a shame Giant pulled the pin on the 9er Trance, as it's a sweet ride.

The 29 inch wheel is here to stay, so to discontinue a model that showed a lot of promise, was a little premature in my opinion.

Love the pain job on the 2014 Trance.........looks like "pure trail evil"! he he