Post Your XC Machine

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Update on the Anthem X LTD...

Update on the Anthem X LTD... I finally got the race tyres - 2.25 UST Rocket Ron on front and 2.25 UST Racing Ralph on the rear. Was really happy with the way they went in the Forrest 6 Hour Champs recently - considering the wet conditions we had, great rolling on some of the faster sandy sections and good grip on the front in corners!
After a good clean...

This shot was taken a few days later about half way back down the hills after the Busty Road climb out of Apollo Bay (the one from the start of the 2008 Odyssey)... Gotta love Apollo Bay.
EDIT: Before anyone reminds me how fragile a rear derailleur is, if I ever lay it down on this side, it's done carefully! I'm just as fussy as the next guy when it comes to looking after my gear;)

Last edited:

Jaow

Likes Bikes
Nice Anthem!

Anthem looks awesome Gone Riding - there is nothing I would change on it!

How do the 09 Sids go? Was looking at getting some but am slightly unsure as I'm just on 90kg and worried that the flex might still be too much (but they looks so nice......).

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Hey Jaow, the SID's are perfect for me at 71kg's but hard for me to say how they'd be at 90kg's, but they seem to have less flex than my 05 REBA's did. Dunno if that helps?

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Gone Riding - you do realise you are laying that bike down derailleur side don't you. tsk tsk.

Glad you like the Schwalbes - might have to try that Ron/Ralph combo sometime. Do you think the 2.25 on the back is overkill or not?

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Gone Riding - you do realise you are laying that bike down derailleur side don't you. tsk tsk.

Glad you like the Schwalbes - might have to try that Ron/Ralph combo sometime. Do you think the 2.25 on the back is overkill or not?
I knew someone would pick me up on that... needless to say it's always laid down carefully (unless I'm on it at the time!).

The 2.25 on the back looks exactly the same as my 2.1 Crossmark so not as big as it sounds. The 2.25 Ron/Ralph combo was great, looking forward to the next dry race to see how they perform.

EDIT: After seeing my Rendez and Crossmark back on the bike, the 2.25 Schwalbes may be just a bit wider in the bag than the 2.1 Maxxis, not much tho.

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
The 2.25 on the back looks exactly the same as my 2.1 Crossmark so not as big as it sounds. The 2.25 Ron/Ralph combo was great, looking forward to the next dry race to see how they perform.
Ah. I've never measured my 2.1 Ralphs but I suspected they were on the thinner side. I'll give the 2.25's a go next time - up front at least.

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I was considering a 2.1 Ralph for the rear at one stage but by the time I decided to put a 2.25 Ron on the front I'd already purchased one 2.25 Ralph... would be keen to see how the 2.1 looks on a rim.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I was considering a 2.1 Ralph for the rear at one stage but by the time I decided to put a 2.25 Ron on the front I'd already purchased one 2.25 Ralph... would be keen to see how the 2.1 looks on a rim.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

I'll see what I can do about some photos next week for you.

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

I'll see what I can do about some photos next week for you.
That'd be good Gixer, no hurry mate... this is prob the best view I have of the 2.25 Ralph on rear as I've put the Schwalbes back on the shelf till next race!
EDIT: Before anyone reminds me how fragile a rear derailleur is, if I ever lay it down on this side, it's done carefully! I'm just as fussy as the next guy when it comes to looking after my gear;)

Last edited:

rangie

Likes Dirt
wt ?

Update on the Anthem X LTD... I finally got the race tyres - 2.25 UST Rocket Ron on front and 2.25 UST Racing Ralph on the rear. Was really happy with the way they went in the Forrest 6 Hour Champs recently - considering the wet conditions we had, great rolling on some of the faster sandy sections and good grip on the front in corners!
After a good clean...
Cool bike

size ? weight ?

jab80

Likes Bikes
Here we go:

BMC Fourstroke 03, Fox RL100F's, DT Swiss XM 180, Mavic Crosstrails, SRAM X-O rear mech and X-9 front, Race Face Deus XC cranks, XT BB, Fizik Gobi XM saddle, Easton EC 70 Monkey Lite OS Riser bars held on by EC 90 Stem, waiting on an EC 70 post to finish it off.

It's all fairly new, needed to do a bit of an over haul after the Insomnia. Not sure how the mud affected the bars and stem, they kind of found their own way on there...!

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
Anthem X LTD
Size: 'Large' 20-inch
Weight: Was just under 10.5kg's with pedals, full UST Rendez and Crossmark tyres with Stans liquid. Maybe 200g's lighter with the UST Rocket Ron & Racing Ralphs?
Hey mate, what have you got on the bike to get it down to 10.5kg. Ive got a large 20" and i can only get it to 11.5kg. I wish to lighten it up, you've got to let me in on the secret

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Here we go:

BMC Fourstroke 03, Fox RL100F's, DT Swiss XM 180, Mavic Crosstrails, SRAM X-O rear mech and X-9 front, Race Face Deus XC cranks, XT BB, Fizik Gobi XM saddle, Easton EC 70 Monkey Lite OS Riser bars held on by EC 90 Stem, waiting on an EC 70 post to finish it off.

It's all fairly new, needed to do a bit of an over haul after the Insomnia. Not sure how the mud affected the bars and stem, they kind of found their own way on there...!
Whats this then? No photo? Isn't there a rule about that?

Got any photos of how she looked during Insomnia?

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, what have you got on the bike to get it down to 10.5kg. Ive got a large 20" and i can only get it to 11.5kg. I wish to lighten it up, you've got to let me in on the secret
I agree - are you sure its 10.5kg as show in the photos? Those UST tyres are really heavy, meaning if you changed them out for some light ones, it would be sub 10kg. Its a really nice build and there are no 'risky' components in terms of weight, but really surprised at the weight...

rangie

Likes Dirt
Anthem X LTD
Size: 'Large' 20-inch
Weight: Was just under 10.5kg's with pedals, full UST Rendez and Crossmark tyres with Stans liquid. Maybe 200g's lighter with the UST Rocket Ron & Racing Ralphs?
Thats light for a large ! Is this a carbon or alu frame ?

RR ust is around the same as the crossmark from memory.

For a non ust set, but still using stans, you can save around 350g :D

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I agree - are you sure its 10.5kg as show in the photos? Those UST tyres are really heavy, meaning if you changed them out for some light ones, it would be sub 10kg. Its a really nice build and there are no 'risky' components in terms of weight, but really surprised at the weight...
Thats light for a large ! Is this a carbon or alu frame ?
RR ust is around the same as the crossmark from memory.
For a non ust set, but still using stans, you can save around 350g :D
Geeze now you've got me wondering! It's Alu frame. I wouldn't have thought the extra tubing for large would make that much diff to weight over a medium? I bought it barely used from a shop owner who rode it as his own and as far as I know the only mods he made from stock ANTHEM X LTD were as follows:
- JetBlack lightweight rotor on rear
- Rendez 2.1 UST on front (which isn't that light)
- and it's a 'GIANT' branded carbon seat post but I think they were supposed to ship with 'Race Face' (maybe that's lighter?)

Only changes I've made are:
- ODI Ruffian LockOns
- XT pedals
- 100mm stem (from 110mm)

Are you sure your weight is accurate bikerboy - is yours the same build as mine except for the mentioned mods?

The previous owner thought it was just under 10.5kg's with pedals, I weighed it on bathroom scales :rolleyes: and they said 10.5kg's. I've seen 'stock' reviews ranging from 10.3 - 10.8kg's but it seems there are very slight differences in the build like diff seats, brakes, shifters, tyres, etc. Only way to be sure is get it weighed on accurate scales myself but everything I know so far suggests 10.5 kgs. It's at the mechanic's getting some DU bushes replaced so I'll see if he can weigh it for me.

749dark's came in at 10.145kg with a few more mods, looks like size medium - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1728707#post1728707

Will get back to you... I'm keen to confirm the weight again now cos if it's heavier than what I thought then surely my performance will suffer ;)

Last edited: