Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Drew.

Eats Squid
My parents sold their E46 318i for $10k in good condition with RWC. Not sure why an E30 would be worth anymore than $3000 unless its an M3.

Where the fuck are you meant to put an extinguisher on a bike?
The E30s have become a bit of a collectors peice though. From experience, the E30 M3s still go for around 30-40'000 dollars! They're more expensive than the E36. $10'000 for a 323i in good cond. wouldn't be unreasonable. Agree'd with Daver, though; for pretty much the same price you can get the 325i.

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Only person i've seen do that is Jason Statham in the Transporter movie! Haha, i wonder if this is legit??

floody

Wheel size expert
$10k for any garden variety E30 is drug money for what is an ordinary early-mid 1980s car underneath. You can keep your euro snob tax.

I really have no idea why noofas pay so much money for the things.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking of extinguishers, best type to have in a car? Dry chemical or C02? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Dry chemical puts out most different types of fires... but if you used it inside the car, goodbye interior. C02 on the other hand..

Arete

Likes Dirt
Speaking of extinguishers, best type to have in a car? Dry chemical or C02? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Dry chemical puts out most different types of fires... but if you used it inside the car, goodbye interior. C02 on the other hand..
I used a CO2 extinguisher on an engine fire back when I worked in a servo. Overheated block + CO2 = snap. Pulling your burning car up next to a petrol pump and popping the hood = fail.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Dry chemical puts out most different types of fires... but if you used it inside the car, goodbye interior. ..
bit of a loose loose isnt it, save your car from burning to the ground but wreck your lambswool seat covers!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bit of a loose loose isnt it, save your car from burning to the ground but wreck your lambswool seat covers!
NOT THE LAMBSWOOL!

Nah just saying, would the C02 be quite as effective or not? I'd definately use any extinguisher if it meant stopping my car from being destroyed.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used a CO2 extinguisher on an engine fire back when I worked in a servo. Overheated block + CO2 = snap. Pulling your burning car up next to a petrol pump and popping the hood = fail.
Woahhhh shit times, would dry chemical still be cold enough to do damage?

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
That thing is so hot! Yer i know they have quite a few problems, but so tempting to get one. If all else fails ill get a bombadoore.

I have been looking through Carsales quite a bit and have seen a few E30's with M3 bodys and what not that tickle my fancy, and for a decent price, so I will just see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
While on the topic; here's a snazzy looking '95 530i

On carsales now for $10,500. Has a white interior, would be a bitch to keep clean but god damn... Just look at the thing!

Attachments

Arete

Likes Dirt
According to info on ozrodders, importers are having vehicles denied importation by DOTARS under the pre 1989 scheme due to modifications like front disc conversions and the fitment of aftermarket wheels - the effective manufacture date must be changed to the date of the last modification.

So if you were to buy a 1955 Chev Belair which had Cragars put on in 2009, the effective date of manufacture, and therefore the ADRs required to be met are the 2009 ones - simply because of the wheel swap.

Sad times for anyone who likes classic cars :( especially those of us who were thinking about bringing one in. If applied to domestic cars, a dealer could whack a new set of rims on any car an sell it as a 2010 model.

floody

Wheel size expert
Ozrodders are full of shit. Why keep repeating that crap? Read DOTARS own website. They'll only get knocked on big modifications, engine swaps, airbags, tubs, body modifications etc.The wheel example is BS.

The reality is "rodders" (more mid life crisis baby boomers) stuffed it up for themselves by importing fibreglass hot rod shitboxes, kit cars and so on left right and centre, as usual the tightarses screw it up for everyone and the whole lot gets clamped down because damn right, you should not be able to bring in a post '89 car as a "1932 Ford" etc, not to mention theres plenty of companies making kit cars, fibreglass rod bodies etc in Australia already who don't take too kindly to being cut out of the market. Unfortunately, the only way to enforce it without a total rewrite of the rules is to shut the whole thing down.

You know that if you want to import a post '89 car under the SEVS scheme it needs to:
-Be featured in a magazine (the model, not the individual car)
-Meet a power to weight ratio
-Have no local variant
-Be completely standard on arrival in Australia
-Meet emissions and crash testing standards
-No previous accident history or repairs
-and numerous other considerations...This is to bring in a safe, modern, full production vehicle.

Comparatively what people are bitching about regarding rods and customs is a walk in the park.

Here's an M3 for the euro snobs

Arete

Likes Dirt
Why keep repeating that crap?
I mentioned it, because a change in the application of legislation, as has occurred, might affect people into cars? I myself am moving to the US next month. My intention had been to purchase a vehicle, use it for the time I'm there and return under the Personal import scheme/pre 1989 scheme.

Personally, I am looking at pre 1975 American vehicles - loved having my DeSoto truck, but cars of that vintage are rare here and priced accordingly. In the US, desirable cars of the same vintage are more common and cheaper.

DOTARS role is to protect our car industry and make sure that people are paying duties on imported goods - you're right, a reproduction car that in no way resembles the original vehicle - e.g a rebodied chassis is not a 1932 ford and should not be considered as such if you want to import one.

Importers and the ASRF are reporting, as I stated, that DOTARS is rejecting import approvals on much milder modifications to older cars. DOTARS themselves have not released any comprehensive information regarding what is, under the new level of enforcement, allowed and not allowed - and are simply issuing approval on a case by case basis using photos to judge the level of modification of the vehicle. This makes it exceptionally difficult to buy a car. If as seems to be the case, a 1950's car with a front disc conversion is now to be rejected based on the provsio of it now doesn't resemble a 1950's car and should be considered to be manufactured in whatever year the front brakes were upgraded, that's kind of stupid.

As for the SEVS legislation - yes it's much tougher. However looking over all the vehicles listed on jap importers websites, every single one has some level of modification - suspension, engine bolt ons, etc and so on. It even states on many compliance workshop's websites that they fit stock parts, comply the vehicle then refit modifications. As such it doesn't sound like DOTARS will knock back your import approval based on vehicle modifications.

Had my hopes up about one of these until inspection showed the entire rear quarter to be comprised of bondo, chicken wire and fibreglass insulation:

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Does anyone know what the procedure is for importing cars into QLD is? Perhaps a link to the qld transport website? I can't find anything