Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wrong topic?

Anyone had experience with Haltech E8's? Floody? Matt? Thinking of one for my 16v 4age because I may be running 20v quads.
Iv been reading nothing but headaches about tuning Haltech. That said thought you need someone who knows their product and can operate a dyno.

I am very lucky that my Dad has good acess to a dyno and knowledge of Motec.

If you are going bang for buck I dont recon you can beat Autronic (Pretty much that same as early Motec) or if you are keen for some DIY megasquirt. Wolf3D has been very good to some people but as iv said you need someone to tune it.

Have you thought of just using the stock Toyota ecu and then getting some pigy back software?

Or will you be using a FWD engine/loom and conveeting to RWD.

If I was you id read what some of the blokes are doing in HR/ae86dc.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
omfg stretched tires burn that red hatch!

Don't bother with shops, in Australia at least, Ziggy, what kind of wheels are you looking for?
Well, thats kind of the problem. I don't know exactly what i want. I'd like to be looking at around $1000 give or take (not inc. tires) in atleast 7" wide. Actually that brings up a question. Current tires are 215/35, would these fit (errr, possibly stretch) over an 8" wide rim?

But yeh, so $1000-ish mark, atleast 7" wide, a heap of dish, and maybe black w/ a chrome lip or something. Im all open to options if you have any? As long as they come in 4x108 im keen for a geeze :eek:

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Motec is easy to tune and common. Pectel is pretty nice too. I know Motec and Pectel can do FBW so you could have proper launch and traction control.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
I'm always on DC and HR hehe.

Motec is far, far too expensive, even this Haltech setup is seeming expensive for what kind of power gains I'd be getting. Motec is over $2000 for the ECU alone.

I've never come across a piggy back system for a 4AGE and I'm nearly %100 sure there isn't any in existence right now, I know that I can actually run quad throttle bodies and mild cams with the standard ECU but they aren't utilised to their full potential so it's not worth it.

I've got a loom already have a feeling it was FWD but I'm not sure.

At the moment I've decided to go with a stock 4AGE with a good exhaust system for a while and then I can decide whether I want to upgrade further but I will be upgrading the suspension a ton, got some front coilovers on ball at the moment and some nice new rear shocks and springs.

brisneyland, a 16V setup running 20V quads needs/should have;

- 16V head to standard 20v quads adaptor plate, you can buy these new for around $300

- 20V quads $300 give or take $75

- ECU system, coil packs and all the associated kit $1000-$2000

- Aftermarket cams $400-$1500

...and then of course the obligatory exhaust system, light flywheel, head work and everything else that goes with tuning an N/A engine.

All these are rough prices, there are extremes of each end, but if you're running quads you really want to be running all these other things also, they all work in unison to provide a gain whereas one on it's own or two on their own are inefficient in making their total power. But then all this power, although not heaps, is going to be high in the rev range, so you risk damaging your rods which are costly to upgrade. You also need to get this tuned as well.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Mate of mine is running Adaptronic on his 20v, not overly pricey, seems reasonably intuitive to tune and plenty of useful features. Worth considering.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
top_dog said:
How much power is something like that likely to put out?

Around 170HP give or take 20HP, depending on whether you've done every supporting mod or just a few, quite a bit of head work and machining is needed.

There is actually piggy-back style systems available for the 4AGE as well which I didn't know when writing my previous post.

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
Right, so i bailed on the euro idea. Sticking with the good old hilux.

So sound systems. Single cab, bit of a noob on these things too. I'm thinking about getting these things,
http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-KW-XR416-Car-MP3-CD-USB-Tuner-p/kwxr416.htm
http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-PP-FR6920-6x9-Car-Speakers-p/ppfr6920.htm
http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-EN-FR6530-6-5-Car-Speakers-p/enfr6530.htm

Now i need your advice, what do you think of my options? my thoughts are the 6" in the doors just something better then stock and then 6x9s mounted just below the rear window behind the seats, wanted half decent ones to give good sounds and a nice 'kick'.

You can see my price range can stretch it if its really going to be benificial, and also, should i be getting an amp for this? Or should it be right running off the HU?

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right, so i bailed on the euro idea. Sticking with the good old hilux.

So sound systems. Single cab, bit of a noob on these things too. I'm thinking about getting these things,
http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-KW-XR416-Car-MP3-CD-USB-Tuner-p/kwxr416.htm
http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-PP-FR6920-6x9-Car-Speakers-p/ppfr6920.htm
http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-EN-FR6530-6-5-Car-Speakers-p/enfr6530.htm

Now i need your advice, what do you think of my options? my thoughts are the 6" in the doors just something better then stock and then 6x9s mounted just below the rear window behind the seats, wanted half decent ones to give good sounds and a nice 'kick'.

You can see my price range can stretch it if its really going to be benificial, and also, should i be getting an amp for this? Or should it be right running off the HU?
Looks like that HU only has one RCA output. Personally, i'd run both front and back speakers off of an amp (or atleast rears and then fronts on the HU) so you'll need a HU with 3RCA's. You'll find the price jumps a bit when you get into the 3RCA HU's though...

Also im not too sure, but if you were going to use your ipod, i don't think AUX inputs charge your ipod when plugged in where as USB and dedicated ipod HU's will. Don't quote me on that, i've never used the AUX in on my current HU and have never on previous ones, but i don't see why it would, with the cable plugging into the headphone jack on the ipod and not the...other....jack....on the bottom of the ipod.

As you can see, i know what im talking about :cool:

Oh, p.s finally think i decided on some wheels (like anybody cares buttttttttt) ~

Rota Slipstreams in 17x7.5. :eek:

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
Looks like that HU only has one RCA output. Personally, i'd run both front and back speakers off of an amp (or atleast rears and then fronts on the HU) so you'll need a HU with 3RCA's. You'll find the price jumps a bit when you get into the 3RCA HU's though...

Also im not too sure, but if you were going to use your ipod, i don't think AUX inputs charge your ipod when plugged in where as USB and dedicated ipod HU's will. Don't quote me on that, i've never used the AUX in on my current HU and have never on previous ones, but i don't see why it would, with the cable plugging into the headphone jack on the ipod and not the...other....jack....on the bottom of the ipod.

As you can see, i know what im talking about :cool:
I did think of that, but with a more expensive head unit, could i not just run them off that? I'm also considering getting rid of the 6" and and getting some really nice 6x9 to start with. Like so, http://www.ryda.com.au/Boston-SX95-6-x9-Car-Speakers-p/sx95.htm but then i would only need a head unit but wouldn't be able to add anything because wouldn't have enough, plugs. Confused.

Also, liking those wheels :cool:

Last edited:

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did think of that, but with a more expensive head unit, could i not just run them off that? I'm also considering getting rid of the 6" and and getting some really nice 6x9 to start with. Like so, http://www.ryda.com.au/Boston-SX95-6-x9-Car-Speakers-p/sx95.htm but then i would only need a head unit but wouldn't be able to add anything because wouldn't have enough, plugs. Confused.

Also, liking those wheels :cool:
A more expensive headunit doesn't necessarily mean it will put out more power to your speakers. Most of them are rated at like what, 50W, so 50W going to each speakers. You could probably get upwards of double that power output to your speakers running them through an amp and it really makes a difference. I can currently get my old 5x7's (running them through an amp) to distort only at a stupidly high level of sound so im happy with that and i don't know if its the quality of everything else, or just the fact that they are running through an amp, but the sound quality is so much crisper and picks up on a much higher frequency of sound now than it did before.

Bostons are awesome speakers, i had them in my old car and they were great. They were god knows how old and i still loved them so i can only assume the newer ones shred.

Yeh i love the wheels hey, should get some quotes for them today. :)

MasterOfReality

After forever
lol and i have hit another freaking bump in the road..

been working flat stick all holidays, trying to pay for everything i need fixed on my two cars and my boat... everytime i fix somthing, something else breaks..

example, commdore, new fuel pump, new starter, new battery, and a full service..

driving home from falls creek two nights ago..

.. hmmmmm why has my heater just gone ice cold... ah wow my temp guage is on H.. now its on c..
mmm that smoke and steam from bonnet can not be right!

pull over.. literaly not one drop of water in my cooling system, further inspection water pump seal blew...

so now its 400kms away from home at a mechanic in bright. while i was stuck with getting a bus and train home! if i knew i was going to miss work friday, i would have just stayed another night at the snow! not at some shoddy motel in bright!

fml.. i just want to sell everything i own and start from scratch.
Haha, its a commodore, what did you expect?

The amount of shit I have replaced on my VP HSV is rediculous - I'll have a new car by the way its going. This is what I have replaced/repaired during the 6 years I have owned it:

- fuel pump died in work carpark. Replaced.
- aircon died, entire system retrofitted and replaced. Big $$$
- waterpump sprang a leak, drove to mechanic with bottle of water next to me. Pulled in with needle almost in the red. Replaced
- alternator died on Moggill Road, almost caused traffic chaos in peak hour, managed to pull off the road and car died just as I was turning into a car space. Replaced by me.
- wiring loom going to alternator died after alternator replacement. Repaired by me.
- Right hand side power windows failed. Replaced. What a bitch of a job as the power regulators are rivetted in.
- Wiring loom for right hand side power windows failed. Repaired by me.
- Power window switch bank on centre console failed. Replaced by me.
- Windscreen wiper switch failed. Repaired by me.
- Started motor died. Replaced.
- Clips holding up bonnet liner failed, dropping it onto the hot engine. Replaced.
- Plenum cover under windscreen busted. Replaced. Surprisingly cheap at Holden I recall.
- Windscreen washer pump failed. Replaced. Cheap at Holden as well.
- Fuel hose burst when driving down Northern Distributor. Hastily towed to mechanic.

The car is deregistered and up on stands in the shed now. Not bad for a late '91 V8 with 150,000km on the clock lol. I still need to get the roof lining and new tints done and maybe a respray for the front. Will form the basis of a project once I finish the house.