Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
had me wondering too, coming off the exhaust valves, but there's a pipe too. someone will chime in and give the proper rundown. I'd thought it's on alcohol for the blue flame, no?

Has the period moustache too. matches the hangers.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Bought a holley blue electric fuel pump and a Russel/edelbrock fuel filter. Turns out there aren't many companies that do 3/8th fuel fittings anymore. Either way, it should be a nice set up.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Turns out there aren't many companies that do 3/8th fuel fittings anymore. Either way, it should be a nice set up.
Try a pneumatics place or somewhere dealing with hydraulics.
They are a goldmine of crap that no one uses anymore.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Try a pneumatics place or somewhere dealing with hydraulics.
They are a goldmine of crap that no one uses anymore.
Advice noted.

Also, any advice on removing rigid metal pipe fuel line? It needs to be cut in several places to get it out, but I don't want to grind as it has had petrol in it for years. i'm guessing a pipe cutter?

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Advice noted.

Also, any advice on removing rigid metal pipe fuel line? It needs to be cut in several places to get it out, but I don't want to grind as it has had petrol in it for years. i'm guessing a pipe cutter?
Yep tube cutters are the go but for steel pipe get one with at least 2 cutting wheels.

fairy1

Banned
Advice noted.

If you aren't going to use it again just use bolt cutters and give it a bit of a wiggle after you cut it, it will reduce spillage too if there is any fuel left in there.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
put a deposit on my first car today, a 92 honda civic sedan, with a fully kustom exhaust!!11! i got a real good deal on it so i don't care hahaha.

problem is, getting it to my house. it's got no rego, and the front of it's crashed in so i can't tow it behind another car (unroadworthy). what would be the most cost effective method of moving it, it's only a few k's so nothing too major. anyone here been in a similar situation?

IronPony

Likes Bikes
it's got no rego, and the front of it's crashed in so i can't tow it behind another car (unroadworthy). what would be the most cost effective method of moving it, it's only a few k's so nothing too major. anyone here been in a similar situation?
Yellowpages > Tow trucks then call around and find the lowest quote or bs a cheap one. I got my car from the sunny coast for $50

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$50 bucks for a tow would be ridiculous, but otherwise try hiring/borrowing a big trailer and tow her yourself home

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$50 bucks for a tow would be ridiculous, but otherwise try hiring/borrowing a big trailer and tow her yourself home
$50 for a tow would be rediculous...rediculously cheap that is. I can't see any of the transport suggestions you've thrown out there being anywhere near $50 either.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
ive been through this on here before as well, the prices of tow trucks vary greatly! what i have been told is, it is alot cheaper to call up some companies to get a tow some time in the next fortnight or so, that way when the truck is around, it can pick it up on part of another route or what ever, saves the expensive call out fee's.

my mate got charged well over 200 for a tow of about 15kms one night.. they arnt cheap.

to hire a big car trailer is going to cost you on the upside of 50 bucks i rekon.. i used to hire a motor bike trailer for 24 hours it was roughly 30-40 bucks.

if its only a few kms.. .. push it hahaha

mlsred

Likes Dirt
put a deposit on my first car today, a 92 honda civic sedan, with a fully kustom exhaust!!11! i got a real good deal on it so i don't care hahaha.

problem is, getting it to my house. it's got no rego, and the front of it's crashed in so i can't tow it behind another car (unroadworthy). what would be the most cost effective method of moving it, it's only a few k's so nothing too major. anyone here been in a similar situation?
Is it driveable? and are there back roads? can you be arsed driving it home very early on a weekday morning?

I got my spare parts VL commodore home like that, 3am on a wednesday I drove the s**t heap the 3km home without a bonnet or front and rear windows. Not that I think it was a good idea but it certainly was cheaper than a tow truck.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$50 for a tow would be rediculous...rediculously cheap that is. I can't see any of the transport suggestions you've thrown out there being anywhere near $50 either.
Exactly what I meant mate, hence the otherwise....My experience with towing = massive ripoff

I paid $135 for 24 hour trailer hire to shift my car from sydney to canberra. 4 hour hire was about half that.
My point. And if you can borrow one (more people than you think own one) , it will cost you next to nothing. I don't contribute alot on here, so when I do I try to make it something half-worthy :)

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tow truck rates can be f#cked.

I was in this roll over (Passanger)

16kms cost the driver $420.

If we didnt have to go to hospital we would have rolled the bloody thing back over and picked it up later.

Arete

Likes Dirt
OK, so this just got import approval - has an engine swap from a 430 to a 352 and from the look of the photo it's been dropped too. There's hope yet.

I just put a deposit down on a 52 effy with a 8 cyl flatty - pending title. Currently has none, but the guy reckons he has the paperwork in order to get it so I'm just waiting on him to head down to the DMV to put it all in.
Will be road tripping it from Chicago back to Detriot (6hrs or so) when I head over should it all go to plan.