Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the same coolant marks on my Rex, ended up cracking the plastic neck on the radiator and saw the temp rise whilst driving. Cheap enough fix but could've been way worse.
I had the same coolant marks on my old Liberty RS Turbo as well! I just ignored until one hot evening a couple of the hoses let go in spectacular fashion, the steam coming out the bonnet scoop was quite impressive!

I ended up replacing all of the old hoses with new ones and fitted better clamps, from memory the hoses were damn expensive!

To the guy that posted about this problem I'd suggest that you check all the hoses and clamps and replace any if necessary, it would be worthwile having a close look at the radiator as well! Certainly not the best time of year to encounter cooling system problems!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is my 2008 supercharged GTS. Currently in pieces because I'm stupid and 400rwkw was not enough. Hopefully going to crack 500rwkw on e85 some day soon.
F-me! That thing must chew through rear tyres...you must be the local tyre shops best customer!

Zam

Likes Dirt
This is my 2008 supercharged GTS. Currently in pieces because I'm stupid and 400rwkw was not enough. Hopefully going to crack 500rwkw on e85 some day soon.
NICE!!!!!!

So what else is getting done to get the extra 100rwkw??? cant imagine it'd be cheap

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
Bigger cam, whole new fuel system, headers and cat's, more boost and e85 if they stop stuffing around and actually bring it to my town like they say they are. Had an issue with the cam install which means the motor is now out getting new cam bearings and upgraded rod bolts while it's apart.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B. I've done about 6000kms in it so far and usually check the fluids every 2000km. Today when I popped the bonnet I noticed a bit of dried up coolant sitting on top of the radiator. Ive attached some pics so you can see what I mean, sorry that they are upside down and huge haha. Should I be worried? How do I fix it? Cheers.
Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the top and bottom hose if you're not sure of their condition, but it looks like the inlet for the top tank, the part the hose goes onto is cracked, hard to tell without seeing it. Get a new Radiator, hoses (as mentioned) and thermostat just to cover your ass. The $500 of parts are cheaper than the possible new motor if shit gets real and it overheats in hot weather. Somewhere like Cooldrive, Bursons, or Repco are the best bet to grab all of these things.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B. I've done about 6000kms in it so far and usually check the fluids every 2000km. Today when I popped the bonnet I noticed a bit of dried up coolant sitting on top of the radiator. Ive attached some pics so you can see what I mean, sorry that they are upside down and huge haha. Should I be worried? How do I fix it? Cheers.

View attachment 303261

View attachment 303262
That'll be a cracked plastic top tank where the outlet is I'll be willing to bet. 10 years on a stock plastic rad is a long time.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks guys, grabbed a more substantial hose clamp from mitre ten yesterday and cranked it up a bit tighter then went for a run on the ocean road, shit got turnt. Kept an eye on the temp gauge, didnt move. No coolant has leaked since the new clamp. Should have checked the plastic neck but didnt want to have to deal with bleeding it - ill have a look when I am in a more DIY mood but for now the problem seems to be resolved (until I lose all my coolant on the fucking sunraysia highway on new years eve 46kms out of sealake with 20ml of water and a single cruskit to last me through the night, that is).

Shredden

Knows his goats
Alright heres another one. A few months back I crashed my car into a spiky bush, and scratched it pretty badly up along the bonnet, front quarter panel, a-pillar, and along the roof a bit. The scratches arent deep but they look horrible. What are my chances of a professional detailer being able to get these out for me?

IMG_5641[1].jpg

IMG_5642[1].jpg

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
I'd say a pretty good chance, I've seen some of those guys work wonders. If they get plenty of heat into it often fine scratches will disappear.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Just got new seals for the volkswagen, every single rubber seal on the car. Some parts were German and some Brazillian, fuck the Braz parts they don't fit right and are impossible to get in. Every time it rains the car gets full of water without windows and after stripping the old seals from the front windows and drilling out bolts and replacing them we found they shipped us kombi window seals for the quarter vents, can't fit the rest of the seals or window without em.

Got it running and driving up the street, it feels starved for fuel in first but as soon as you hit second it's smooth sailing, couldn't figure that one out. Definitely a fuel issue but once you hit second it cruises fine.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After my patrol (gq) was stolen and stripped of turbo/FMIC etc etc I re-fitted a DTS turbo kit last night. Kit consists of a Mitsubishi water/oil cooled td05, cast mtq manifold, dts inline air filter (much the same as standard patrol), 3" dump pipe and front section of exhaust. It's a pretty simple set up but much harder to install than my previous standard gu ht18 set up. The castings on the manifold are heaps thicker than standard (better heat absorption) making it hard to get anything other than an open ended spanner on each of the exhaust stud nuts. All the nuts were brass too so if you didn't get a good purchase around them they are very easy to round.

All that remains is to re-weld a 3" flange (it drops down to 2.5" to suit standard exhaust) to the existing 3" straight through. Took it for a quick drive last night, although I didn't get to give it the berrys I'm hoping it will provide a bit more power than my previous set up.

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
04 Land Rover Discovery 2A classic currently.... Daily driver for the family but intending to do Cape York with it next year which will be awesome. Nice lift, stock wheels, A/t's, centre diff lock and traction control. *touch wood* haven't been seriously stuck yet.

It's got a 4.0L V8 with 185hp at the flywheel, and it seems it's on it's last legs atm... Gonna drop a supercharged 4.6 out of a Rangie in it for shits and giggles when the 4.0 goes bang... Hoping for at least 300hp with a bit more torque because it's a little gutless (don't tell my dad I said that he loves it to bits)

Old leadfoot youngun here likes the right pedal :)

Anyone had any experience lifting disco's above 3.5 inches? It's 2.5" at the moment, handles sweet but would like it flexier for the slow speed stuff ... muahahahaha offroading

It's always fun having a mean 4x4 track to get up to a DH track.

Attachments

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After my patrol (gq) was stolen and stripped of turbo/FMIC etc etc I re-fitted a DTS turbo kit last night. Kit consists of a Mitsubishi water/oil cooled td05, cast mtq manifold, dts inline air filter (much the same as standard patrol), 3" dump pipe and front section of exhaust. It's a pretty simple set up but much harder to install than my previous standard gu ht18 set up. The castings on the manifold are heaps thicker than standard (better heat absorption) making it hard to get anything other than an open ended spanner on each of the exhaust stud nuts. All the nuts were brass too so if you didn't get a good purchase around them they are very easy to round.

All that remains is to re-weld a 3" flange (it drops down to 2.5" to suit standard exhaust) to the existing 3" straight through. Took it for a quick drive last night, although I didn't get to give it the berrys I'm hoping it will provide a bit more power than my previous set up.
Glad you got it back mate, unfortunate about the missing stuff. Does insurance cover that sort of thing?

I'm so keen to save a bit of dosh, a nice blacktop TD42 GQ is what I'm after eventually, but they're becoming rarer and rarer. Almost tempted to go for something more modern with a smaller turbo diesel, or even an 80 series cruiser...

binner

Hath shat hymself
Do over

The last week I have been redoing the tray on the zombie, hope to have it all back together tomorrow, forgot as usual to take pics but ill do it tomorrow.....

It's time for a cruise to Byron to celebrate the new tray :hippie:

t510

Squid
04 Land Rover Discovery 2A classic currently.... Daily driver for the family but intending to do Cape York with it next year which will be awesome. Nice lift, stock wheels, A/t's, centre diff lock and traction control. *touch wood* haven't been seriously stuck yet.

It's got a 4.0L V8 with 185hp at the flywheel, and it seems it's on it's last legs atm... Gonna drop a supercharged 4.6 out of a Rangie in it for shits and giggles when the 4.0 goes bang... Hoping for at least 300hp with a bit more torque because it's a little gutless (don't tell my dad I said that he loves it to bits)

Old leadfoot youngun here likes the right pedal :)

Anyone had any experience lifting disco's above 3.5 inches? It's 2.5" at the moment, handles sweet but would like it flexier for the slow speed stuff ... muahahahaha offroading

It's always fun having a mean 4x4 track to get up to a DH track.
This is my old D1, 90mm lift, modified 80 series Blisteins, dislocation cones, modded rear trailing arms, castor fixed on the front, cut guards, flared, 255/85/16 muddies (33.3 in the old language), maxidrive lockers.

Was a true go anywhere machine and a massive pain the in the arse. It was so much better to drive before I got so carried away. Once it got to this stage it was only good off road. It really needed a change of diff gears and some more work on the front end to get it driving right at highway speeds but it simply wasn't worth it. When it blew up the gearbox I sold it off.

You don't need more lift for more flex, long travel shocks and getting the trailing arms to stop binding is the best thing you can do for flex on a Disco.

4.6's a a pig of a motor, well known for having the cylinder liners shift. Fuel economy is shit on a LR V8 at the best of times.
The only thing a LR V8 is good at is turning fuel and air in to a great exhaust note, the miniscule amount of power they make is simply a by product.

Best thing I ever did was get in to a 4.2td GQ patrol, that said I still have a twin locked 88 Rangie. They are like aids, you can never truly rid yourself of them until you die

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
This is my old D1, 90mm lift, modified 80 series Blisteins, dislocation cones, modded rear trailing arms, castor fixed on the front, cut guards, flared, 255/85/16 muddies (33.3 in the old language), maxidrive lockers.

Was a true go anywhere machine and a massive pain the in the arse. It was so much better to drive before I got so carried away. Once it got to this stage it was only good off road. It really needed a change of diff gears and some more work on the front end to get it driving right at highway speeds but it simply wasn't worth it. When it blew up the gearbox I sold it off.

You don't need more lift for more flex, long travel shocks and getting the trailing arms to stop binding is the best thing you can do for flex on a Disco.

4.6's a a pig of a motor, well known for having the cylinder liners shift. Fuel economy is shit on a LR V8 at the best of times.
The only thing a LR V8 is good at is turning fuel and air in to a great exhaust note, the miniscule amount of power they make is simply a by product.

Best thing I ever did was get in to a 4.2td GQ patrol, that said I still have a twin locked 88 Rangie. They are like aids, you can never truly rid yourself of them until you die
Now , I ain't no landy guy but many years ago I hires a TD5 and took it over to Fraser isl and fuck me that thing went everywhere inland and to the tip of Fraser without drama, I ain't no 4X dude but have a few clues about sand /root driving so I was pretty impressed when i made it to the top of a dune/ hill then stopping to help winch out navaras and challengers ......

I came back keen to buy a landy but then did sums on servicing,fuel consumption etc and bought a CRV :behindsofa::behindsofa:

crash3

Likes Dirt
The Datsun 1600. What a phenomenal little car. Engine? FJ20? SR20? Z18? or is full retro and running the original L series?
Apologies for the late reply NP, haven't been on this thread in a while.

Still got the L18, with twin Dellortos. I think it makes about 80 hp at the flywheel. Or did when it was last dyno'd at SSS in the 80's.... well before I downshifted too early at a khana sending an exhaust valve into a piston.

You're right though, so much fun. Even with that miniscule amount of power (though helped somewhat by a close ratio 5-speed box and 5.1:1 locked diff) it's so much fun to drive.

nitro01

Likes Dirt

I'm not a massive Landy guy either, I'd rather have a patrol, that said it's my dad's truck and i'm 17 so I can't complain :)

It's got Tough Dog HD's that flex pretty good atm but it really does need a brake line extension so they don't rip out at full travel........