Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks heaps for that info MoR and Mr Crudley... Definitely interested in one now. I'm cross shopping a pretty random mix of cars (the 3.0L Liberty, MPS3, 4wd utes etc).

Definitely going to try and hook up a test drive now. Cheers for the info on the potentially clunky CVs, gearbox, and engne mount etc. Sounds manageable to me.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I would suggest looking at the BL gen 2 MPS though. There are a few notable differences that make it the one to get once you forgive its happy lizard face looks.

1. The engine mounts and brace have been reinforced. There were reports of the gen 1 BK cracking engine mounts probably due to the engine torque :)

2. The VVT actuator were redesigned. Early ones wore led to a tractor sounding rattle. Need some costly fixing to replace them and the timing chain. This was fixed in the BL.

3. BL has redesigned pistons to prevent superknock.

4. The 6th gear ratio is lower for more relaxed highway cruising.

5. The TMIC intercooler shroud snouty thing to prevent heatsoak and lower bonnet temperatures.

6. Bigger rubber 225/40R18 over the BL 215s. A more common size so tyres should have more choice.

Go the Japanese continual improvement thinking.

Finding an unmolested MPS with a service history is the way to go.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
I would suggest looking at the BL gen 2 MPS though. There are a few notable differences that make it the one to get once you forgive its happy lizard face looks.
Cheers for the advice going the BL 2 over the BK. I do love a bit of Kaizen, but the student living out of home budget means I'm pretty much financially limited to the BK unfortunately. The BL 2 seems to start at about 13k on carsales while there's decent BKs for 8ish.

The extra cost of the BL 2 might be offset in the longer term if I were to be unlucky with the BK, but hopefully getting one with service history, no current VVT issues, and take the steps to avoid the "superknock" as outlined in the blog post you linked I'll be okay. Hopefully...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
No problem, you might get lucky. Economics always rules in the end. See if the VVT has had any repairs on the BK as it would be the big $$$ repair item.

The ozmps forums are helpful too.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
Would be cool, but I'm kinda scared of French euros... The condition of the interior of family and friends 5 year old peugeots and citroens compared to my 20 year old landcruiser, honda and 10 year old subie (with at least double the km's) was honestly atrocious. Though they arent french its a similar story with X5s and Alfas of other family friends. Just stupid shit like window switches falling out of the door and door cards falling off, dashes cracking, buttons falling out drives me crazy.

In light of that experience was hoping to stay with Japanese if possible. At least until I graduate and can buy something newer with a warranty.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I am a long time renault nut (have owned at least 15 of them...) and will be the first to say they are not amazingly well built. For old stuff like this, they're awesome if you're interesting in working on it yourself - if not then best not is my advice, much easier to be ripped off with euro cars...

A Meg will outhandle the MPS every time, better brakes, will barely torque steer in comparison (clever front strut design) and be way more flexible and easy to drive in town.

But - it will eat top engine mounts (~$150-200 and 1/2 hour to fit), eat a window regulator once a year (~$50 on ebay and fiddly to fit...) and generally rattle etc. The engines are utterly indestructible, although the (Japanese made Aisen) cam dephasers need doing every second timing belt as a rule. And it will generally require a bit more love. Dual mass flywheels are usually replaced with a single mass conversion flywheel. No other mechanical gremlins of note on them though.

Meg 2 interiors hold up pretty well.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Would be cool, but I'm kinda scared of French euros... The condition of the interior of family and friends 5 year old peugeots and citroens compared to my 20 year old landcruiser, honda and 10 year old subie (with at least double the km's) was honestly atrocious. Though they arent french its a similar story with X5s and Alfas of other family friends. Just stupid shit like window switches falling out of the door and door cards falling off, dashes cracking, buttons falling out drives me crazy.

In light of that experience was hoping to stay with Japanese if possible. At least until I graduate and can buy something newer with a warranty.
You're obviously used to the no money thing, so get a Landy.....

binner

Hath shat hymself
type 3 ute resto started

started on the donk first..... just a lil 1641cc slip kit installed with all the tinware blasted and repainted. New gasket kit, rebuilt and sonic cleaned carbs. Good old oven cleaner twice over to clean up the gearbox.....
starting on interior this weekend .....fun times....

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
trying for the ratrod finish

played around with grits n sanding n wet n dry to get a ratrod effect..... rear panel gunned with 3 coats of clear lacquer and door is as is before prep n lacquer... it looks ways better in the flesh, pics don't do the finish justice....

Attachments

stirk

Burner
started on the donk first..... just a lil 1641cc slip kit installed with all the tinware blasted and repainted. New gasket kit, rebuilt and sonic cleaned carbs. Good old oven cleaner twice over to clean up the gearbox.....
starting on interior this weekend .....fun times....
Those finned barrels are beautiful!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
New radiator, 2 high flow fans, and cooling system layout fitted in mine.
I just stripped and reassembled the alternator and its decoupler pulley to cure an annoying squeak as well

clockworked

Like an orange
So i was thinking about getting a project car just for project of it.
My two cars are currently a triton and a corrolla. I hate the corolla because its so damn reliable that i have no good reason to replace it with something faster.
For a project car i think id like something reasonably recent, as cheap as possible, with a large aftermarket of mods, and either track car worthy or something great to cruise on the highways with family

Im thinking either australian saloon like a barra engined ford, or an old statesman, or a hot hatch like a clio or civic. Considered an old 4wd project, but i really only use my triton to move bikes, so that would probably be a waste

What would you guys recommend?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A 10yo Alfa 147 would be a fun track car, they go really hard and handle well and are worth nothing. Same for Clio Sport.

Barra Ford is a totally different animal, but can be made to make obscene amounts of power.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you want to stay local grab an EL XR6 and whack a Barra in it. Big brakes, coilovers and forged wheels and semis.Then go playing. Or for a challenge Datto 1600.

Given you are in SEQ and the Leyburn and Pittsworth sprints etc are close go the EL, I will next year.

Or something weird...

Last edited: