Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Last week I made up a new top engine mount for the XR4 out of a suspension bush. Ford mounts are stupidly expensive because the XR4 is the only version with the 2.0 Duratec engine sold here. Even out of the UK where they were much more common the mounts are around £500 landed. The suspension bush though was too stiff and the engine shook the living shit out of everything in the car.

When I was at uni we cast some new suspension mounts and I decided to have a go at making a mount with a softer urethane. Actually they were for the buggy I mentioned earlier.

The suspension bush was maybe 90 shore A and an engine mount should be around 60. Picked up some mixable urethane and...

First I made up a jig to hold the two parts of the mount in the correct positions. Yes @pink poodle there was welding and drilling and tapping. As it is a jig no shits are given about what it looks like, bolts are whatever I found in the bits boxes that I had a tap for. M12x1.75 for those interested.

Off cut of angle squared up in the band saw, bit of flat cut to length and some shorter pieces as guides to hold the mounts in the right place. The two pieces are not parallel or square so I bolted the mount (aluminium part) to the angle with the old rubber still fitted, clamped the steel section to the flat and tacked the pieces together. Welded the guides then tapped the steel section holes to mount that.

Here is the jig with the two halves ready to go, old dead rubber mount beside it. The three slits are actually cracks through the mount, very common failure, we tried two different wreckers and each mount was the same. About as solid as @moorey poohs. Hang on, he is a vegan so those will be like rocks, um, as solid as treacle.

Then the back side of the rubber area was taped up (the open end you can see in the pic) and settled in some garden variety dirt to support it and keep the faces level for pouring. Should be sand but this works too. Sticks included at no extra cost.

Mix the urethane 1/1 by weight and mixxy mixxy. Pour. Let cook (cure at room temp actually) for 24 hours and presto.

As the original mount was just three legs and this is solid I went for a 45/50 durometer urethane. I hope it is stiff enough. If not I can get 65 easily enough.

Urethane was $45 for 500g which is enough for two mounts (I have another to do for a road car) and the steel offcuts were nix, about an hour to make the jig which can be used over and over.

For the material scientists among us the aluminium part has the DIN material spec cast on the part. Weird.
Win!

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not as interesting as a lot of the others on here (and a little off topic) but picked up an ex-army 4x4 trailer that I'm going to turn into a camper setup
View attachment 347762 View attachment 347763 View attachment 347764
Meant to post this the other day, lost somewhere in the interwebs.

That pintle hook is an override brake too? Thought the Army trailers were all braked. Guess you will swap that, grab a DO35 coupling, best thing ever for offroad. Do you have a Landy? Hubs might be tricky to swap to 6 bolt.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yes very cool. "Get her done" just isn't seen much these days.

Drop the current generation of kids into circumstances from the last depression, they will last 5 minutes sadly.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nice!

0-100 in 3 service stations.

And 10/10 on the jig fabrication.

10/10 on the roll your on urethane.

2/10 on stealing the cats sand box to set it all up in. :)
We went to a show and shine at Caboolture earlier this year in the NYer. Mate picked me up from my place and I started to take him along some back roads to get to the highway. I love these in my car. I gave up and got him to the highway asap. I kept asking him if we needed to fuel up yet.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I guy I know has a 68 two door hard top New Yorker in the goldy bronze I think they were know for that does a 10.something down the strip. That's a massive amount of car to hurtle down a drag strip fast.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I guy I know has a 68 two door hard top New Yorker in the goldy bronze I think they were know for that does a 10.something down the strip. That's a massive amount of car to hurtle down a drag strip fast.
Pretty sure this one does the 1/4 in a week next Thursday.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Took the mount out of the dirt this morning and removed the tape. Pretty happy. No leaks though the dirt pushed the mould in a bit.

The resin fully cures in 7 days or 48 hours at 50C so I will leave it in the sun and that will help a bit but it will stay in the jig for a few more days before installation.

The resin has firmed up and feels ok, similar resistance to pressure as the original mount.

Happy with this.