Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can buy the Urethane in the Sikaflex tubes, we used to repair front wheel drive mounts on modified Alfas in 90's and throw them in the oven to cure them faster.

sutts

Likes Bikes
awesome,,can i ask what you got it for? was this is Brissie by any chance...
Sorry mate haven't been online in a while, picked it up in the Sydney auctions, $2K once you add all the GST and auction fees onto the bid price. So not super cheap by any stretch. But solid as fk and in good shape.

sutts

Likes Bikes
Meant to post this the other day, lost somewhere in the interwebs.

That pintle hook is an override brake too? Thought the Army trailers were all braked. Guess you will swap that, grab a DO35 coupling, best thing ever for offroad. Do you have a Landy? Hubs might be tricky to swap to 6 bolt.
Yeah it's braked (hydraulic disk override brakes with a drum handbrake), but the smaller and earlier trailers 1/2 ton trailers (no 5) aren't braked at all

Don't have a Landy, will be towing it behind a HDJ105 LandCruiser. Might swap out axel to match track and stud pattern later, but not in a rush.

Not sure what to do about the coupling yet, first offroad trailer for me. Just borrowed a pintle hook to get it home, but pretty sure ill be replacing the ring with an offroad coupling. Will look into the DO35 because i don't know sht about them to be honest.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have a Treg which is great for articulation etc. But even on the box trailer it can be a pita to line up. When the nylon block dies (26 years and counting) I will cut it off and fit a DO35. I have that on tbe camper and it is a breeze to line up and use. Worth a look.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The engine mount worked perfectly. Tested it in the road car a friend has. Given I had to guess a bit with the jig since the old mount was rooted that was a bit lucky. That first mount can stay in the road car but we still need a mount for our sprint car and the 45A will be a bit too flexible so I bought some stiffer urethane. 75A Shore.

This didn't degas as well but it is faster cure with only 5 minutes mixing and pouring time and it starts to gel between 5 and 6 minutes so unless you vacuum degas it will have some bubbles. I did the concrete thing of belting both parts which only meant the jig moved so the pour isn't perfectly flat. No biggie. Those bubbles are just at the surface by the way. The big splodges are from removing the tape and sand that stuck to the tape when I put the jig in to hold it pre pour. I also made an ali plate to keep that side flat.

Much stifferer. Will be good. The blurb recommends a bake at 70C for 16 hours so I am off to get a cheap toaster oven...

Still a cheap solution. 1.5kg of urethane will make 4 mounts and cost $90.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The engine mount worked perfectly. Tested it in the road car a friend has. Given I had to guess a bit with the jig since the old mount was rooted that was a bit lucky. That first mount can stay in the road car but we still need a mount for our sprint car and the 45A will be a bit too flexible so I bought some stiffer urethane. 75A Shore.

This didn't degas as well but it is faster cure with only 5 minutes mixing and pouring time and it starts to gel between 5 and 6 minutes so unless you vacuum degas it will have some bubbles. I did the concrete thing of belting both parts which only meant the jig moved so the pour isn't perfectly flat. No biggie. Those bubbles are just at the surface by the way. The big splodges are from removing the tape and sand that stuck to the tape when I put the jig in to hold it pre pour. I also made an ali plate to keep that side flat.

Much stifferer. Will be good. The blurb recommends a bake at 70C for 16 hours so I am off to get a cheap toaster oven...

Still a cheap solution. 1.5kg of urethane will make 4 mounts and cost $90.
Nice one. The Megane likes to eat these mounts too, but alas they’re those “hydraulic” one with a silicon fluid filled cushion thing... Thankfully they’re less than $100 new every few years.

Haakon

I hear ya. You buy an Alfa for a reason, you don't expect to find high performance parts hidden in there! :)
Haha :) At least the MOPAR branded oil filter also had Made in France written on it - so I know it’s a Purflux filter. I’d be worried if it had made in USA on it...

Haakon

On the whole Chrysler Fiat merger, it’s a shame they rushed the development of the Dodge Dart. With Giulietta chassis and engines, it could have introduced the Americans to idea of handling... Alas it was a poorly built (in America) flop.

It looked pretty good I thought and certainly handled and drove with Alfa verve by all accounts.

sutts

Likes Bikes
I have a Treg which is great for articulation etc. But even on the box trailer it can be a pita to line up. When the nylon block dies (26 years and counting) I will cut it off and fit a DO35. I have that on tbe camper and it is a breeze to line up and use. Worth a look.
Looking at the do35 now (looks like impressive unit) or something like a mchitch / ozhitch etc.
do35's are around $400 so not cheap.

Want something that is going to articulate well (because the leaf pack is heavy as), but at the same time want to buy some Magura MT5 or MT7's so don't want to drop more $$$ on the coupling than i need to :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Most off road couplings are similar $. I was offered a used do35 for $100 a year or so back and didnt get it. Idiot!

Haakon

Dealer warranty repair and "free service" (consultation prize given to us on the back of the bullshit with the first lemon car) on the Alfa today.

Under tray bolt not done up (was hanging on by 2mm of thread by the time i got here), oil all over the underside of the car, puddles on the topside of undertray, reservoir for transmission hydraulics sitting on MIN after they bled it, window regulator as bad if not worse clunk wise, and they tried to charge me $345 "having no record of the free service plan" we were given with the replacement car.

No real surprise in other words. "Free oil" not worth it, it will not ever be getting an "official" service stamp in its book ever again.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So bloody typical. Very frustrating. The only de ent service I have had in the last few years has been the M2. HSV dealer scratched rims. Twice. Etc etc.

Haakon

And utterly predictable - I'm mostly annoyed at myself for trying to "save" the $200... The window reg is a $100 part off ebay, the oil and filter worth about the same. I've copped more than $200 worth of hassle and angst and will have to do the window job anyway.

I'll have that warranty argument at the time should it ever come up....

scblack

Leucocholic
I have had my Amarok and before that my Forester serviced at Denlo VW in Parramatta. All has been good with them.

Sorry for your frustrations Haakon, but thought I would put up a good story for a change. Maybe my experience is a unicorn, but it does happen.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dealer warranty repair and "free service" (consultation prize given to us on the back of the bullshit with the first lemon car) on the Alfa today.

Under tray bolt not done up (was hanging on by 2mm of thread by the time i got here), oil all over the underside of the car, puddles on the topside of undertray, reservoir for transmission hydraulics sitting on MIN after they bled it, window regulator as bad if not worse clunk wise, and they tried to charge me $345 "having no record of the free service plan" we were given with the replacement car.

No real surprise in other words. "Free oil" not worth it, it will not ever be getting an "official" service stamp in its book ever again.
Speak to the principle manager and tell them it's not good enough, what a bunch of lazy kents. Give it to them, tell them you want the car picked up and given a full detail clean for leaving it in such a mess or you'll get in contact with Alfa.

Haakon

Speak to the principle manager and tell them it's not good enough, what a bunch of lazy kents. Give it to them, tell them you want the car picked up and given a full detail clean for leaving it in such a mess or you'll get in contact with Alfa.
I don't want some low paid grunt cleaning his mess after he got chewed out by the boss. He'll take it out on my car because I'm "the fussy prick who got him in trouble".

They will never lay eyes on the car again.I will do what I knew I should have done in the first place and look after my own stuff.