Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
P1 >> P2 = BANG!
I did chemistry... Im guessing you're referencing differential pressures?

I'm thinking its more in line with temperature issues - the metho evaporating "super cooled" some parts while others parts were still hot in the sun and the different parts of the plastic trying to expand/contract at different rates did it in.

Not too bad to replace though - new one from ebay UK landed for about 60 bucks... Less than what a local wrecker would want!

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not really sure but guessing the water evaporated and increased the pressure inside because you glued up the cracks. Had you done all that and glued it later it would not have exploded.

Haakon

Not really sure but guessing the water evaporated and increased the pressure inside because you glued up the cracks. Had you done all that and glued it later it would not have exploded.
Oh right. Nope, hadn’t got as far as gluing yet, plus it was open anyway.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Front suspenders refitted. Took the opportunity to weld up a dodgy chassis repair and absolutely the worst welding job I have had to do. What I expected to take 10 minutes or so dragged out to about 2 hours. The previous repair was mostly bog and wishful thinking. Because of the location and position I had to lie under the area to reach the weld and I managed to get a eight bad burns through two layers of clothing. Not fun. Anyway fixed now.

New heavier antiroll bar and double width mounts. Adjustable lower arms and camber plates on the struts. Supposedly a two person job but managed on my own using an antigravity device. Luckily I didn't know it was a two person job. New hubs which are hubcentric with the rotors. Need to drill these for the long 1/2" studs we will be using. Brake mount adjusted slightly to accommodate the hub differences.

Will finish the diff gear set swap on Wednesday and fit the diff to the single leaf springs. Fuel tank will go in to confirm available space. Upper radius arm mounts to weld to the chassis and of course the Watts link supports. All the loads will be inwards (as the diff rises or falls the effective length of the watts link control arms shortens. Trying to get a feel for the loads imposed to confirm the sizes of the supports. The links themselves are bigger than I expected so obviously loads are not small though the change to effective length isn't that great. At this stage thinking of using 3mm sheet folded and dimpled and gusseted. 100mm difference in height from side to side. Anyway this lot will be the tricky bit.

Worked out fitment and plumbing of the evaporative emissions control and catch can so those will be plumbed soon.

Once the diff is in I can corner weight the car and get a feel for the front springs we will need.

Edit: the AU XR6 which is the Watts link donor has heavy droppers for the links and the central pivot isnt vertical. Need to do some more research.

Last edited:

Haakon

You couldn’t use a panhard rod with leaf springs anyway I’d have thought - axles shift laterally through the travel with a panhard, which is why the watts link set up was invented.

Are you putting in a trailing arm as well to stop the springs winding up under power?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You couldn’t use a panhard rod with leaf springs anyway I’d have thought - axles shift laterally through the travel with a panhard, which is why the watts link set up was invented.

Are you putting in a trailing arm as well to stop the springs winding up under power?
Yes. Panhard rods are a cheap way out. On a 4wd with good articulation the lateral movement can be significant.

Haakon

LTIL - that the world is a diverse enough place that there is a whole forum dedicated to oil.

I wasn’t buying the line that the electro hydraulic Muiltiar valve system on the Alfa required a dedicated Fiat spec only oil. I got suspicious that they’re recommending a C3 spec which is the low ash for protecting DPFs...

Lots of research let me to Shell Helix Ultra. Which I then discovered is sold in yeh US under the Pennzoil brand and it what Dodge and Fiat recommend for this engine there!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
There will be a flood of choice in a short while as the new EU 95g/CO2 fleet average kicks in at the end of next year.

Big juicy fines for not meeting the standard.

Hence things like this:

Still gotta build cars & shit.