Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Took this for a thrash a few weeks ago and felt first gear slip.

Ordered a new tremec t5 kit from Mal Wood. Never going to chase big power so a t56 is overkill. Was meaning to do this back in 2008 but never got around to it. Of course the cost to convert to manual never makes sense $$ wise but its all about the v8 manual fun right?

View attachment 399981
Do you have this strange birthmark too?
download.png

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Always surprises me how sensitive cars in general are to wheel alignment. My dodgy carpark/kerb incident bumped the front left out by about a millimetre, and the rear was out by about 2mm on one side (it did get a hammering with extreme loads in the back last year...).

But tiny measurements totally transformed it...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Red Pill or Green Pill

Tyre Pressure on a motorcycle has a similar effect - but is it cos i ' know ' that 36 /40 is best ........ or is it due to reading the manual and following manufacturers specs .

Haakon

Red Pill or Green Pill

Tyre Pressure on a motorcycle has a similar effect - but is it cos i ' know ' that 36 /40 is best ........ or is it due to reading the manual and following manufacturers specs .
Alfa was definitely not happy before - was getting a bit unpredictable on sketchy roads (most of them down here...) and especially prone to changing direction on me under hard acceleration. Back to its rather excellent normal handling now!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Get decent wheels. OzRacing can be had for $600 each.

18x8 P40 - 45 should suit. I am partial to Leggera hlts.

If you ring and pay by card you don't pay shipping!!! I have now bought four different sets of Oz, BBS and Sparco (owned by Oz). Great service.
@Dales Cannon just continuing on from this. I'm pondering a tyre for the GTR for the odd dry weekend street run and for track work.
Do I:

1. Compromise and get a set of Nankang NS2R semi slicks. Or

2. Get a second set of OzRacing wheels with dedicated track tyres like a Nankang AR1 and Pilot Sport 5 street tyres on the OEM wheels?

Also what's your view on carbon ceramic brakes for a 1700kg car?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Always surprises me how sensitive cars in general are to wheel alignment. My dodgy carpark/kerb incident bumped the front left out by about a millimetre, and the rear was out by about 2mm on one side (it did get a hammering with extreme loads in the back last year...).

But tiny measurements totally transformed it...
It doesn't take much to move an adjuster if it's been previously left loose, I used to see it all the time years ago with tyre places offering cheap wheel alignments. You can't charge any more than them, even though you spent hours retightening all the hard to get bolts they would leave loose.

Haakon

It doesn't take much to move an adjuster if it's been previously left loose, I used to see it all the time years ago with tyre places offering cheap wheel alignments. You can't charge any more than them, even though you spent hours retightening all the hard to get bolts they would leave loose.
Yeah good point. It did have an alignment in Canberra when it was new as it wasnt right out of the factory (rear camber was way off...). Should check again - it will either be too tight or too loose!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah good point. It did have an alignment in Canberra when it was new as it wasnt right out of the factory (rear camber was way off...). Should check again - it will either be too tight or too loose!
Go over the whole unbody of the car, everything seems to loosen after a few years of driving.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
@Dales Cannon just continuing on from this. I'm pondering a tyre for the GTR for the odd dry weekend street run and for track work.
Do I:

1. Compromise and get a set of Nankang NS2R semi slicks. Or

2. Get a second set of OzRacing wheels with dedicated track tyres like a Nankang AR1 and Pilot Sport 5 street tyres on the OEM wheels?

Also what's your view on carbon ceramic brakes for a 1700kg car?

Depends what gear you have available at the track. Most fast cars at the sprints run dedicated non road legal track tyres. Yoko A048, 50, 52 or slicks etc. Those that drive swap wheels and tyres at the track so have access to a trolley jack and carry tyres in the car or borrow trailer space. One Lotus drives on road tyres while his wife tows a trailer with slicks and spares. Big effort. I ran a track focused semi (Toyo R888R) and drove to, played and drove home on these but they are a compromise, maybe 0.5s slower than the Yokos above. This season I am running half worn AD08R and will replace them with something similar next year. I feel the 08s are as fast as the Toyos with the benefit of bags of grip if a dog pisses within 5km of the track.

We fitted AR-1 to the Fiesta but I can't give you a drive report because I haven't tracked it with those on it. However there are a few reports suggesting the AD09 and the Goodyear F1 (track oriented version) are better.

You are going to be putting a lot of load through the tyres so it comes down to whether you want maximum performance and change wheels at the track or it is for "my benefit" so 95% is good enough. For me I can change wheels at home on the hoist and drive to and from so it is a no brainer

Ceramic brakes are 100% the way to go. I would have replaced the M2 fronts for ceramics had I kept it. Just follow the rules and you will be fine.

PS5 are a very soft sidewall tyre. I don't think they will suit you even as a road tyre. You will need more pissies to overcome the lazy sidewalls. I run Yoko V107 for the road and so far (6,000km) they have been great. Very much a PS4S clone from Japan. Maybe 3dB quieter than the AD08R which got really noisy at half worn and probably 95% of the dry grip and double wet compared to the AD08 or 7,512% better wet grip than the Toyos.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Depends what gear you have available at the track. Most fast cars at the sprints run dedicated non road legal track tyres. Yoko A048, 50, 52 or slicks etc. Those that drive swap wheels and tyres at the track so have access to a trolley jack and carry tyres in the car or borrow trailer space. One Lotus drives on road tyres while his wife tows a trailer with slicks and spares. Big effort. I ran a track focused semi (Toyo R888R) and drove to, played and drove home on these but they are a compromise, maybe 0.5s slower than the Yokos above. This season I am running half worn AD08R and will replace them with something similar next year. I feel the 08s are as fast as the Toyos with the benefit of bags of grip if a dog pisses within 5km of the track.

We fitted AR-1 to the Fiesta but I can't give you a drive report because I haven't tracked it with those on it. However there are a few reports suggesting the AD09 and the Goodyear F1 (track oriented version) are better.

You are going to be putting a lot of load through the tyres so it comes down to whether you want maximum performance and change wheels at the track or it is for "my benefit" so 95% is good enough. For me I can change wheels at home on the hoist and drive to and from so it is a no brainer

Ceramic brakes are 100% the way to go. I would have replaced the M2 fronts for ceramics had I kept it. Just follow the rules and you will be fine.

PS5 are a very soft sidewall tyre. I don't think they will suit you even as a road tyre. You will need more pissies to overcome the lazy sidewalls. I run Yoko V107 for the road and so far (6,000km) they have been great. Very much a PS4S clone from Japan. Maybe 3dB quieter than the AD08R which got really noisy at half worn and probably 95% of the dry grip and double wet compared to the AD08 or 7,512% better wet grip than the Toyos.
Thanks. Zero chance I will bother changing wheels at the track so 95% compromise of Nankang NS2R it is. Hmm will keep an eye out on the Yoko V107.

Will get the carbon ceramics in the US at the end of the year.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So, four close ratio gears then a 'moonshot' overdrive? :p
There were two boxes available for the E21 I had, a gear for every corner or let's limit fuel consumption. Even the close ratio box saw 65,110,170, 210, 235ish at 7,100. The wide ratio box was about the same 1st and 2nd and then the others were crazy. 100 in 5th was a gnat's whisker over 2,000 rpm.

MasterOfReality

After forever
So, four close ratio gears then a 'moonshot' overdrive? :p
Not too bad, 5th should see me at 2030rpm at 100 km/hr which will make the old 304 snappy. but I'll be probably rowing gears in between.

At a 5,500rpm redline:

1st = 58 km/hr
2nd = 88 km/hr
3rd = 127 km/hr
4th = 171 km/hr
5th = 270 km/hr lol