Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You can't own a $100k car, talk about putting carbon brakes on and then complain about tyre prices!
Tyres are the single biggest contributor to lap time (aside from the steering wheel attendant), just get the best thing you can for track use. I've got a mate with a very expensive IPRA car and he always runs second hand tyres, madness I reckon.
Can you go down in wheel size and run the 295/35/18 A050? I'm assuming you'll be buying a set of wheels anyway.
But there's the rub. I'm not interested in lap time at this stage.

The Falken AZENIS FK510 currently on the car are good but are likely to get trashed at the first track day I do. So I need a road legal tire that will be ok on dry roads and stand up to track days.

Can't size down due to the size of the discs. My OEM wheels have some marks, so not really worth trying to preserve. I might go aftermarket wheels later in if doing sprints and want to run proper slicks.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
But there's the rub. I'm not interested in lap time at this stage.

The Falken AZENIS FK510 currently on the car are good but are likely to get trashed at the first track day I do. So I need a road legal tire that will be ok on dry roads and stand up to track days.

Can't size down due to the size of the discs. My OEM wheels have some marks, so not really worth trying to preserve. I might go aftermarket wheels later in if doing sprints and want to run proper slicks.

You sure. I think my front rotors on the merc are somewhere north of 380mm and they fit inside 18" rims.

Oddjob

You sure. I think my front rotors on the merc are somewhere north of 380mm and they fit inside 18" rims.
Not sure, but I have a feeling that mine has 400mm fitted and the carbon ceramics I'm looking at are 400mm as well.

Also not looking to go aftermarket wheels unless I'm sure I want to do lots of track work and get proper slicks.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Out of those I would grab the AD09s then the AR-1s but you are heavy and putting a lot of torque through the tyres... Goodyear F1?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I'm not a car guy at all... but with the bikes at the track, and I did a lot of track-time... going to spare wheels with slicks, transformed everything. I went way quicker, it was way safer, it was way cheaper (one set of expensive road tyres per trackday, totally gone, toast, throw away ... versus three trackdays out of a rear and five out of a front on much cheaper slicks) and the slicks were way more predictable with much more positive feel and feedback. Like I said, I'm not a car guy, but I'd buy some spare wheels and go slicks. Just don't do it in the wet, ask my right collarbone.

Oddjob

Out of those I would grab the AD09s then the AR-1s but you are heavy and putting a lot of torque through the tyres... Goodyear F1?
No heavier than the current M2 and M4. That's wild.

The AD09 does look good. I will have to see what availability is like.

I'm not a car guy at all... but with the bikes at the track, and I did a lot of track-time... going to spare wheels with slicks, transformed everything. I went way quicker, it was way safer, it was way cheaper (one set of expensive road tyres per trackday, totally gone, toast, throw away ... versus three trackdays out of a rear and five out of a front on much cheaper slicks) and the slicks were way more predictable with much more positive feel and feedback. Like I said, I'm not a car guy, but I'd buy some spare wheels and go slicks. Just don't do it in the wet, ask my right collarbone.
The problem with this is needing a support vehicle to carry the tyres etc. One of the PR Tech guys is a fellow BMX dad so I might be able to hit him up.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ifn ewes goan wif carbine dicks ewes betta gettn slacks ewes adwantage ov dat moare gripness.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
On Sunday I was planning to remove auto pedal box and tailshaft in prep for the manual conversion. Went to move the car and it shat a fuel line clamp, fuel was spraying on the extractors. By the time I stuffed around cleaning things up and cursing the location of the clamp, it was too late to grab another one. So the productive day I had planned was spent sweeping out the shed and re-organsing stuff haha.
Fuck dude, don't scare me like that. I thought you were about to say it died a fiery death :eek:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Fuck dude, don't scare me like that. I thought you were about to say it died a fiery death :eek:
All good! Replaced clamp and no more leaks. Removed centre console, glovebox, steering surround etc. Pedal box looks to be a bit tricky.

Because I can't get a manual inset for the Calais console, I'm changing to an exec spec console. Reason being I can buy the console insert, boot, retaining clip etc new from Rare Spares. Makes me laugh when bogans are trying to sell their clapped out shit GM parts for almost the same price.

Have pretty much collected all the parts I need, will give the console a refurb with some plastic primer and colour matched paint.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is pretty cool:

I kind of want a mini tack-welder now even though I'd have 0% chance of completing a task like this... :p