Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

cammas

Seamstress
Stop it! I have too many projects already… :(
It’s a good excuse to move away from your lovely neighbour, I’ve been next to mine for 10 years and he’s still an a-hole.
We were playing the long game hoping they will move but alas no luck, after he killed my whole front garden I’ve been slowly returning the favour, it’s funny how some trees never grow back after winter ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Hyundai seem to have a good reputation for support in Australia.
I had zero issues getting the faulty multimedia unit replaced in my Kia under warranty either. They checked it out, confirmed the fault. Ordered the part and called me when it was in so I could make a booking. I was dreading the replacement being done at the dealership (I was expecting the dash to rattle and squeak forevermore), but even that was without issue.

They have tried to tack on some bullshit upsells during servicing though. First service they told me the IAC was blocked with carbon ("Oh really? Send me a picture." It had the usual minor carbon gunge and I told them I'd clean it myself, but realistically have never looked at it in the 7+ years I've owned it since and it still runs fine), and the "left hand rear door check strap has seized and needs replacing" (more like I hardly ever use the rear doors and the check straps are still stiff because they've never worn in, also unchanged and operating without issues for ~6 months).

I have absolutely zero loyalty to any brand, but would buy another given the excellent ownership experience. Even the handful of friends and family I know that own Kias have had no dramas. I did find interactions with the Kia dealers I've come across were easy too (even the salesman wasn't a sleaze!), but had no interest in the local Hyundai dealers where I lived in Melbourne as they seemed to be auditioning for the role of dismissive, know-nothing "the cars sell themselves"/"nothing's available for test-drive right now"/"No, I know the brochure shows 6 different trim levels but we only have the top of the line spec in an auto available in one colour on order - e.t.a 7 months" a la Toyota dealers...

slowmick

38-39"
3 out of 4 door locked died in my wife's Tuscon. Drivers window also cactus. $2500 quote to fix. Found lots of people online complaining about the door locks. There are heaps of videos on Youtube on how to open the doors and replace the locks. Some lovely person uploaded the service bulletin showing it was a known issue and warranty had been extended across the board to cover them. Took some motivation from the sales manager for the Service Manager to read the document but got 3 locks fitted for free. The local mechanic is going to look after the driver's window. I trust him a lot more to do the right thing.

indica

Serial flasher
Google is your friend if it is common fault.
I had 5 engine codes making the car undriveable. It had to be towed 100kms to the dealer.
There was some rat wire damage that I had fixed that may have been related but apparently was not.

NOTHING about this was common, having said that old mate from the local made the call for the throttle body early on.

Glad I took it to Hyundai though, warranty is good and the lease fuckers covered the tow truck

MasterOfReality

After forever
I found Toyota good to deal with warranty wise. Bought a 2019 200 series new and had the notorious problem of the injectors and dpf fucking out at 16,000km. First Toyota too so I'm not 100% sold on the brand at the moment.

Took it for its service and mentioned excessive soot to the service manager. He was like yep, we do at least one a month. He then asked if I had a tune or catch can because warranty is thrown in the bin. Nope all standard. They checked the injectors to confirm, and it was all approved and booked in within a few days. Once the parts came from Japan (2 weeks) it was all done a week later. Was an engine out, $20k job. Spotted it on the invoice that they had drawn up for Toyota Australia.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I found Toyota good to deal with warranty wise. Bought a 2019 200 series new and had the notorious problem of the injectors and dpf fucking out at 16,000km. First Toyota too so I'm not 100% sold on the brand at the moment.

Took it for its service and mentioned excessive soot to the service manager. He was like yep, we do at least one a month. He then asked if I had a tune or catch can because warranty is thrown in the bin. Nope all standard. They checked the injectors to confirm, and it was all approved and booked in within a few days. Once the parts came from Japan (2 weeks) it was all done a week later. Was an engine out, $20k job. Spotted it on the invoice that they had drawn up for Toyota Australia.
$20k internal/warranty price would be a lot less than what someone would pay retail. ;)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Got stuck into this manual conversion. Removed exhaust, drained auto, removed tailshaft and split the front and rear sections.

The longest part so far has been the pedal box. What an absolute pain in the arse:
- remove the plastics and surrounds under the steering wheel
- remove the rail that holds the fuses
- use a long extension and socket to remove the nuts that hold part of the pedal box to interior side of firewall. These also hold the booster on the other side
- unclip brake pedal from booster
- in engine bay remove the mc bracket and pull booster back
- undo another two bolts on firewall that also hold in the pedal box. Holy fuck what a mission this part was.
- back inside car, remove the steering column bolts. This allows the column to drop just enough to get the last bolt, which holds the both the column and the pedal box.
- steering column then drops all the way down, remove the aircon duct
- then jiggle the pedal box out in the knowledge that you have probably fucked up half the wiring in the process.