Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
really blow your load

Dude, that thing has seen better days. What state is the bore in? I can't imagine anything being particularly happy.
the head is rooted, really smashed up, ill take some pics and post up, I split the case today and found chunks of piston in the sump, the case is actually in good condition so for this build I'm just going to do a 1641cc slip kit, keep the std cam. I bought a pair of new heads and will give them a port n polish with a 3 angle valve job, SS valves. If I feel the urge I will check the CC volume and maybe bump up the compression a little if it's worth it.
This is supposed to be a quick n easy resto without spending a fortune so it can be a daily driver. Pretty good find though... auto, bosch electronic fuel injection, front disc, a pretty clean car all up.

Some pics just added, before and afters.....

Attachments

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Sure did a number on it! I had an XR250 (Honda trail bike) come into our shop once which had 'been rattly for a while, then just stopped, lost power, wouldn't go'. Was still warm when walked in. Around the small end was a golfball sized lump of mangled metal, loosely flopping around in the bore, the rod itself was rainbow heat-colored and had an S-bend in it, the bottom end of the motor was understandably full of unrecognisable pieces of piston and ring and a film of oil. I presume it must have pinged long term until the piston let go, grabbed (a fair bit of bore wall was AWOL), briefly locked up in the violence then disintegrated.

binner

Hath shat hymself
new build

Sure did a number on it! I had an XR250 (Honda trail bike) come into our shop once which had 'been rattly for a while, then just stopped, lost power, wouldn't go'. Was still warm when walked in. Around the small end was a golfball sized lump of mangled metal, loosely flopping around in the bore, the rod itself was rainbow heat-colored and had an S-bend in it, the bottom end of the motor was understandably full of unrecognisable pieces of piston and ring and a film of oil. I presume it must have pinged long term until the piston let go, grabbed (a fair bit of bore wall was AWOL), briefly locked up in the violence then disintegrated.
.....hahhh , it's always fun stripping an engine that you don't know what your in for and the only thing to go by is the owner saying " awww it was going really good then it just went bang and died so I towed it to my shed and just left it in there for ummmmmm like eight years now"

I've orderded new parts now so hope to start to rebuild next week, been degreasing, wire wheeling all the tinware and repainting and bollocks in the meantime......

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love how you guys rebuild engines like its nothing. I have enough trouble taking the fairings of my motorbike.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been consuming a bit myself of late.

1zz coming out.

2zz in and waiting for some bits.

Should be about a 40kw increase in peak HP.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406454407.278926.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406454429.135736.jpg

My pride and joy "grace"
1981 wb kingswood ute
Original 202 blue motor
Rebuilt, resprayed original blue, original engine decals
Resprayed 2pak white
Lowered 2"
Dragway Indy wheels
Re-upholstered interior back to original spec
Bench seat 3speed on the tree
Full 2" lukey exhaust system

She's beautiful ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
In the process of beginning a teardown and rebuild on my old mans 82 WB Panelvan with him. Re-Painting, replacing suspension with heavy duty swaybars and springs, installing a Trimatic and a 9 inch diff to handle what is planned for it. Currently has a Blue 202 with a Yella Terra head, but building up a Black EFI 202 with a more aggressive cam, O-Ringed Block, replacing the distributor with coils and a supercharger to top it all off for, hopefully, 450-500hp!

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^^^^^^^^^^ lucky son...growing up in the late 70's and with a much older brother I was surrounded by his flanny wearing mates and all models of holdens...eh,hk,fb,ej and the true sandmans with lexan bubble windows I now wish all those boys kept their cars. Some were fucking amazing, full curtains and beds, studded love heart shape cuts in the sandman to crawl into the back.....
Really awesome stuff......

Git on to it!... Lets see updates....

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
^^^^^^^^^^^^ lucky son...growing up in the late 70's and with a much older brother I was surrounded by his flanny wearing mates and all models of holdens...eh,hk,fb,ej and the true sandmans with lexan bubble windows I now wish all those boys kept their cars. Some were fucking amazing, full curtains and beds, studded love heart shape cuts in the sandman to crawl into the back.....
Really awesome stuff......

Git on to it!... Lets see updates....
I am lucky :bounce:
I can only imagine, hearing dad reminisce about the cars he had and sold for stupid low prices makes me cringe so hard, especially at the prices even Kingswoods in Prems pull in average condition on eBay.

The "new" motor was stripped on Saturday so I'll have to get some pics up asap.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Madd, good to see aircooled's going around. WE're building a '61 beetle now, just booked it in for wiring and getting a dodgy sunroof cut out and a new roof panel welded in. Leaving it as a rat with all original paint (what's left of it) and plenty of surface rust. 12V converted 1300 on a 4" narrowed beam to get her nice and low. Just found this thread I might have to post some pics tomorrow

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Madd, good to see aircooled's going around. WE're building a '61 beetle now, just booked it in for wiring and getting a dodgy sunroof cut out and a new roof panel welded in. Leaving it as a rat with all original paint (what's left of it) and plenty of surface rust. 12V converted 1300 on a 4" narrowed beam to get her nice and low. Just found this thread I might have to post some pics tomorrow
Please do :photo:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Booked in for the roof and wiring on the 15/8 so it'll drive after that. Because we're leaving it a rat it should be easy to get it all done quickly, new seals everywhere except the pan. Bit of rust repair in the battery tray (no surprise in these cars). Heater channels are actually perfect which was its biggest selling point when we were looking for a shell. Not touching the engine, gunna leave it as a beat up, old low and slow piece of shit to drive around and enjoy it for what it is. Met a woman the other day who is the 1st owner of a '71, hasn't changed a thing and still drives it everyday, goes to show how they last.

Not a huge fan of custom plates, but we were talking about what we could do the other day, stuff like LOWSLO and WER138 (We are 138, any misfits fans out?) but then we made BUGRED and decided that could be worth it, for a buggered red bug.

Pics - the interior isn't ours but it's what we're going for, all the padding off the seats bar the horsehair and then hessian bags to cover

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I swear I saw maybe two people planning on turboing a bike. Any progress?

Dat interior man..:first: