Protective gear for DH?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
It's my understanding that there is a lot more evidence for the efficacy of helmets than there is for that of neck braces.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
well apparently my neckbrace is a useless piece of safety equipment and did nothing that day i crashed. So must of being some other divine intervention like god, mother nature or even possibly fairies.
He's not saying that the neck brace did nothing. He's saying there's not enough evidence to prove conclusively that the neck brace is what prevented you getting a spinal injury.

And he's right.

jarrod839

Banned
He's not saying that the neck brace did nothing. He's saying there's not enough evidence to prove conclusively that the neck brace is what prevented you getting a spinal injury.

And he's right.
i have all the evidence i need to prove that the neckbrace did its intended job that day and kept me out of a wheelchair if halfwits want to say they don't work then thats there issue don't tell people that are still walking cause they chose to wear a neckbrace that they are full of shit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Jarrod, I don't think Mywifesirrational is trying to say that the neck brace didn't serve its purpose in the case of your crash and that god intervened.
He is saying there is no scientific data to suggest that neck braces are as effective as their marketing suggests, or the anecdotal evidence provided by users of neck braces suggests. Well, That he is aware of anyway. But, from previous discussions I have read, I believe this is this is somewhat his field of expertise.

Thats not to say they don't work at all. There are an unbelievable number of variables that determine the outcome of a mountain bike crash. it is impossible to pinpoint how effective a neck brace would be in an actual crash unless you can isolate all of the other variables. Thats where a study would come in. as yet, it seems there aren't any.

Back to the OP.
BDL, I think if you could get your kid to wearing kneepads, and try and convince him to use some slimmer, under jersey armour. you would be on a winner. Just show him Ratboy, he wears an MX roost guard in the WC races.. and the kids love him.. lol
...and why does he pad up?

This all seems to be getting a little out of hand.
Easy! I just finished a little administration and have fresh popcorn...

Yes, must of being.
Which being? There was a few it could have been.

so in theory if a neckbrace doesn't prevent serious injurys that must mean that a helmet doesn't either. Why did i just spend $1200 on a new helmet and neckbrace.
Because you were to impatient to wait for a sale?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
i have all the evidence i need to prove that the neckbrace did its intended job that day and kept me out of a wheelchair if halfwits want to say they don't work then thats there issue don't tell people that are still walking cause they chose to wear a neckbrace that they are full of shit.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
so in theory if a neckbrace doesn't prevent serious injurys that must mean that a helmet doesn't either. Why did i just spend $1200 on a new helmet and neckbrace.
Is that a rhetorical question, or are you showing us the abstract from your upcoming peer-reviewed article on "why other people asking you for evidence obviously makes them a chunt" ?

I have considered buying a neck brace, but when I looked for research on the subject, It was not to be found, beyond anecdotes and Leatt marketing.

here's some relevant reading for you --> www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com

this one in particular, ANECDOTAL FALLACY, but it it looks as though you have chucked a few others in for good measure in various posts of this thread.

Nice work on bringing God into your ranting, always a crowd favourite. :thumb:

Since this is a subject you are passionate about, I invite you to do some real-world testing for the rest of us, involving not wearing a helmet on your next DH run.

I realise you have drunk deeply of the Leatt kool-aid, but even the Leatt guy in the promotional video you posted mentioned that a neck brace will not prevent ANY injury if you don't wear a helmet. I assume you realise that Leatt guy is referring to a full face helmet.

I guess it's fortunate that the "unrestrained torso event" that fractured you T1 vertebrae was actuated by Leatt's "Alternative Load distribution technology(tm)" when your head took a pounding, or does your own research (sample size=1, number of tests=1) indicate that the two events are unconnected?

treble

Likes Dirt
...and why does he pad up?
Who, Ratboy? Word on the street is that he was pretty shaken up after destroying his ankle in world champs. I guess it puts his mind at ease. Although, apparently he's quit the pro circuit, so maybe not completely at ease.

jarrod839

Banned
Is that a rhetorical question, or are you showing us the abstract from your upcoming peer-reviewed article on "why other people asking you for evidence obviously makes them a chunt" ?

I have considered buying a neck brace, but when I looked for research on the subject, It was not to be found, beyond anecdotes and Leatt marketing.

here's some relevant reading for you --> www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com

this one in particular, ANECDOTAL FALLACY, but it it looks as though you have chucked a few others in for good measure in various posts of this thread.

Nice work on bringing God into your ranting, always a crowd favourite. :thumb:

Since this is a subject you are passionate about, I invite you to do some real-world testing for the rest of us, involving not wearing a helmet on your next DH run.

I realise you have drunk deeply of the Leatt kool-aid, but even the Leatt guy in the promotional video you posted mentioned that a neck brace will not prevent ANY injury if you don't wear a helmet. I assume you realise that Leatt guy is referring to a full face helmet.

I guess it's fortunate that the "unrestrained torso event" that fractured you T1 vertebrae was actuated by Leatt's "Alternative Load distribution technology(tm)" when your head took a pounding, or does your own research (sample size=1, number of tests=1) indicate that the two events are unconnected?
All your answers are in the video and online or are you struggling with 1+1= aswell.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Who, Ratboy? Word on the street is that he was pretty shaken up after destroying his ankle in world champs. I guess it puts his mind at ease. Although, apparently he's quit the pro circuit, so maybe not completely at ease.
...I may have him confused with another pro. I had a hazed memory of him enduring a fairly big crash, other than the foot thing. Now I'll be wondering for hours who I've confused him with.

The claim is he is over the corporate bs of the pro circuit.

treble

Likes Dirt
...I may have him confused with another pro. I had a hazed memory of him enduring a fairly big crash, other than the foot thing. Now I'll be wondering for hours who I've confused him with.

The claim is he is over the corporate bs of the pro circuit.
I think you may be right, I have a feeling he may have had another decent one in the off season or something. cant remember.

As for the him quitting because of corporate BS. Yeah, I could believe that. I've worked for Crankworx in Whistler the last two years, the amount of corporate bullshit involved is astounding at times, and we didn't even have to deal with the UCI..