Queenstown 2013

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Aww true, I was going to be there longer but I'm meeting my old boy to head to Blenheim on the 15 th for an RNZAF reunion, don't want to miss it as the old boy really doesn't talk much of those days and I think it's interesting?
Plus I can find a hill or two to decend along the way...

jmeers

Likes Dirt
Aww true, I was going to be there longer but I'm meeting my old boy to head to Blenheim on the 15 th for an RNZAF reunion, don't want to miss it as the old boy really doesn't talk much of those days and I think it's interesting?
Plus I can find a hill or two to decend along the way...
Have a good trip mate

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
my mate and I are a going over around mid April. Going to try out Queenstown Bike Taxis. 7 days of riding, can't wait! (btw, if anyone wants to join in, let me know!)

rb baby

Likes Dirt
I plan to be there around that time dates not confirmed yet gonna do LOWER 45 camp with rennie then 4-5 days on my own.
I plan on doing the park and a couple of days with Jono at QBT's.
A Heli drop is definitely on the cards if I've got the $$$...

mjb123

Likes Bikes
All Booked

Everything is booked. Feb 15th to 24th, including skyline, QBT, heli bike, and trap shooting.

Can't wait.

niz16

Likes Bikes
+1 for devil burger,go the onion rings, cheap tuesdays red spot specials i think, rated it over ferg, hell pizza just up the road, also got addicted to cookie time

toodles

Wheel size expert
Just got back from two weeks in Queenstown. Organised accomodation with Jono from Queenstown Bike Taxis and stayed at Lakeview holiday park at the base of the gondola. It is well worth speaking to him and getting shuttle days out to the Remarkables, Zoot, Clyde and definitely Dirt park. We had a blast riding the park as well, and did push runs at Wynards (although Jono runs shuttles there also).

Can't recommend QBT enough really - super chill drivers and just the best way to get around and check out the tracks outside the gondola.

Fergburger - the southern swine burger is the go IMO. Also, the Ferg bakery next door does the best pies I've had in a long time. Kartel burritos is also an awesome feed for a good price.

Atlas bar and World bar were my favourites in town, although Atlas is a bit expensive and cramped it is popular with the riders and you can always meet them there. Red Rock was awesome one night, but mostly dead the others. Pogs (the Irish bar) is pretty awesome too, and does great food.

The sushi restaurant sucks. Deadset crap in my opinion, but maybe I'm picky.

Trackwise, my favourite in the park was Grundy, then Armageddon and World Cup. Outside the park, Clyde and Dirt Park are proper good downhill tracks. Dirt Park is an all time favourite of mine, although I totally fucked my wrist there.

Had an awesome time in Queenstown and will definitely go back. Still wondering why I came home to be honest.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Raw TR450 with kashima 40s. You would recognize me as easily the smoothest, fastest, most dreamiest rider on the hill*

*most likely at the bar. Less likely to be actually operating a bike with any level of coordination.

Queenstown was the best. was there last week and had so much fun. everybody is so friendly. even knocked myself out and had a trip to hospital in an ambo so there is no need to worry about injurys as its just like Australia.
fat badgers pizza is unreal. 20inch pizzas!
ferg bakery has the best steak and cheese pies in the world.
devil burger has chips with cheese and curry sauce which is the best meal ever.
all the pubs are great and it isnt as dead night life as people say being non ski season.
there is no New Zealanders there. everybody is a tourist living there for a few years (lucky people)
walking around Queenstown is easy and everything is close.
price is cheap being from Australia.
the veiw of the mountains and lake is unreal.
the only bad point is coming back home. definitly heading back in febuary

screw loose

Likes Dirt
What are the tracks like? Do they get regular maintenance?
Can they be compared to anything in Vic or Whistler?
I'll probably go over at easter time for 8-10 days.

dunndog

Eats Squid
What are the tracks like? Do they get regular maintenance?
Can they be compared to anything in Vic or Whistler?
I'll probably go over at easter time for 8-10 days.
very regular maintenance in the bike park mate, wouldn't compare to much in vic, having not been to whistler can't comment personally but have heard comparisons from those who'd know.. 4-5 days of bikepark action with days elsewhere scattered in between would be the go.

toodles

Wheel size expert
very regular maintenance in the bike park mate, wouldn't compare to much in vic, having not been to whistler can't comment personally but have heard comparisons from those who'd know.. 4-5 days of bikepark action with days elsewhere scattered in between would be the go.
What this guy said.

The gondola in QT can't really compete with the sheer altitude and variety of tracks available in Whistler, but it shits on any of the parks in Australia. Well worth spending a few weeks there, try to mix it up with the gondola and shuttles of the surrounding areas.