Queenstown 2013

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
I'm hoping to be there between March 9 and 16. Funding dependent, of course.

On the luggage front: It's worth reading the Ts&Cs of your luggage allowances carefully, to see how they classify sporting equipment. Most airlines have allowances for a single piece sporting equipment at no extra cost.

For example, Air NZ considers a bike a "standard item" of baggage. So you could take the bike (up to 23kg) and carry on for price of a normal seat. Or you could pay a little extra for 2 pieces of baggage if you couldn't fit helmet and clothes into your bike bag/box.

Last edited:

juzz

Likes Dirt
This year flew Air New Zealand, to take a bike was excess baggage, but as it is sporting goods they reduce it to half price so instead of 50 its 25 dollars and then they charge you in New Zealand dollar, so its about 20 it total.

Cheap

kempok

Likes Bikes
Just got back.
tracks are in great condition. Went with Air New Zealand.
Cost us $37.50 eachway for the Bikes. Classed as sporting goods.
Keep those tyres clean as they will inspect.
Suggest getting to the Airport early with bikes saves the hassle.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
great thread, looking to head over.

people that have gone, how much we talking per week all up, or how much for a few weeks?

wondering what the tracks are like, will get on youtube :)

clockworked

Like an orange
how much is a 2 week riding trip to queenstown approximately these days? How much are you guys budgeting all up?

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
Going for a few weeks in Feb, super pumped!

What is bike hire like over there? Not super keen on having to worry about transporting, assemble/disassemble, repairing my steed as it will eat into my riding, drinking and burger eating time!

Cheers!

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For me roughly:

Flights: $600 return (bike + 23kg bag)

Pinewood: $460 for 7 nights

Riding: $200-300 depending on what you want to do

Food: $400 for 7 nights

Bungy: $350 at Nevis

Beer money: $150

I would say $2000 would buy you a very fun and well deserved holiday.

EDIT: Oh and gotta love that currency conversion rate!

Last edited:

jmeers

Likes Dirt
Check with Air Zealand, they have 48 hour specials.
We got our tickets for $360 return.
Also check lakeview holiday park in queenstown.
Across the road from the gondola

clockworked

Like an orange
For me roughly:

Flights: $600 return (bike + 23kg bag)

Pinewood: $460 for 7 nights

Riding: $200-300 depending on what you want to do

Food: $400 for 7 nights

Bungy: $350 at Nevis

Beer money: $150

I would say $2000 would buy you a very fun and well deserved holiday.

EDIT: Oh and gotta love that currency conversion rate!
Scrap the bungy, better make it $900 for beers n fergbergers.

cheers guys!

QBT

Queenstown Bike Taxis
Hi all, don't want to spam/sales pitch your thread too much, I'm Jono from Queenstown Bike Taxis. I do DH shuttles, transport, pick ups and package deals with the whole works sorted out for you (except flights!) Hit up Queenstown Bike Taxis if you want more info.

Couple of things, Queenstown is tiny so you won't have any problems getting around. For accommodation, I recommend Pinewood Lodge, they are right next to the gondola (as close or closer than Lakeview) and do heaps of stuff for bikers. If you're here for more than 3 days, make sure you get out of the bike park and check out the other trails (I do shuttles for around the same as bike park day/half day passes) There is HEAPS of riding over here and you are guaranteed and awesome time.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Make sure you eat a Fergburger

Cheers, Jono

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a small challenge that posed a while back: How many Fergburgers can one eat in the space of 7 days?

I will say around 10.

nickz

Likes Dirt
Jono is the Queenstown guru. Book at least one trip with him, Dirt Park and a few Wynyard shuttles too.

Plum13

Likes Bikes
+1 for Jono and Queenstown Bike Taxis, he sorted our accomodation, passes, shuttles, scrumpy runs etc. Got back yesterday from 10 days there and QBT were awesome. Cheers fella.

deej

Likes Bikes
Awesome, i'm getting pumped to plan a trip now, good bits of info guys, thanks, just waiting on whether or not i'm due to fly to Pakistan for work later in the week, which could push my holiday plans back.
At this stage it's either this or going back to Japan for snowboarding, but it would be nice to do something different, NZ has priority.

At those prices i'd def take my own ride, even if I have to pull the thing down and put it back together.

How long does a typical MTB season run in NZ for lifts/gondolas, for DH type riding, does it lead right up until the snow in say June/July? Best time to go?
Any favorite locations, or must see/ride areas?

craigjones

Likes Bikes
Heading over with 6 mates from 11th-22nd Feb. Cost me $515 return with Jetstar from Sydney including 35kg of check in baggage. $670 for 11 nights accomodation at Turner Heights Townhouses. Pretty amped for it to say the least.