Queenstown DH Trip *New vid, Page 7*

SpecialFx

Likes Dirt
awesome track. how much do you spend for the total trip? any info about cheap accommodation around there? and do you have any idea how much it cost to rent a bike there? cheers

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
awesome track. how much do you spend for the total trip? any info about cheap accommodation around there? and do you have any idea how much it cost to rent a bike there? cheers
Cheers,

We did it fairly cheap.

Airfare $550ish return with one bag, then the bike was only $40 extra each way. Thats with Air New Zealand
Accom, we had a van park cabin, It was about NZ$900 for 7 nights, then between the 4 of us was only about AU$200 each. I cant remember the name of the van park, but it was near the gondola.
The 5 day gondola pass was NZ$250
We also, hooked up Queenstown Bike Taxis for a few days, prob spent NZ$150 with them.
Food and beer... a fair bit

I did look into bike hire cause I was tempted to give a spesh demo a spin whislt I was there, I think it was NZ$120 for a full day. But there was cheaper bikes to hire.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Love your work mate! We didn't end up getting out there, Jono was outta town for a while (as was all stated earlier in this thread but I was already gone when it was posted), so that, weather on the only day we could do it and issues with potential van rental just made it a logistical no go. Bummed but not spewing, got plenty of sick riding in the bike park done and have some big reasons to go back! Love watching your vids, will post some of mine up when I nab them back off my mates laptop..
Possibly a blessing in disguise anyway that we didn't get to dirt park, my rear brake was howling for the last 2 and a half days, which is when we would have gone, and turns out my rear swing arm had a very decent crack in it right in front of the calliper mount. Probably woulda snapped it off at dirt park!

QBT

Queenstown Bike Taxis
I've put together some packages with everything included, airport transfers, accommodation, gondola passes and shuttles. Check out http://www.queenstownbiketaxis.co.nz/queenstown-packages/ or send me an email if you have any other questions. Jono, QBT

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Love your work mate! We didn't end up getting out there, Jono was outta town for a while (as was all stated earlier in this thread but I was already gone when it was posted), so that, weather on the only day we could do it and issues with potential van rental just made it a logistical no go. Bummed but not spewing, got plenty of sick riding in the bike park done and have some big reasons to go back! Love watching your vids, will post some of mine up when I nab them back off my mates laptop..
Possibly a blessing in disguise anyway that we didn't get to dirt park, my rear brake was howling for the last 2 and a half days, which is when we would have gone, and turns out my rear swing arm had a very decent crack in it right in front of the calliper mount. Probably woulda snapped it off at dirt park!
Cheers mate.

I look forward to seeing some of your footage...

Yeah dirt park would've been the end of your bike if was cracked :eek:

I think all our brakes were howling like crazy towards the end. One guy fully cooked a rotor, it went like a bluey sorta colour... epic week of riding!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Burgertron

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting the awesome footage...going on sunday and I'm so pumped.
Still can't decide what bike to take though..
BigHit with 66's or Enduro??
Going with 3 other guys all riding 6 inch bikes so erring towards the Enduro but all the footage I look at everybody's ripping on DH/Freeride bikes...any advice?
cheers

dunndog

Eats Squid
Going with 3 other guys all riding 6 inch bikes so erring towards the Enduro but all the footage I look at everybody's ripping on DH/Freeride bikes...any advice?
cheers
Personally I'd go the big hit, I was riding with a native kiwi on my last day in the bike park and he was getting real playful on that, but could still smash the steep high speed rutted sections full bore. The Enduro might struggle with some of the beefier stuff.. I managed to crack my trek session88 there
*EDIT* meant to say the kiwi guy was on a big hit with 66's

Last edited:

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
cheers
which trails will you be riding?

I definately was happy on my glory. I never felt like it was too much bike.

At the gondola park, there was heaps of guys ripping it up on 6 inch bikes. Hammys and vertigo would be a blast on one. But the other lines would start to get a bit tough.

Dirt park I'd say the bigger the bike the better! it would be downright scary a 6 inch bike...

Zoot and wynyard could be done on a 6 inch, but a bigger bike would be more fun.

Hope that helps a bit, have a great trip!

specci82

Likes Dirt
After going over to ride with Dunndog and a few other mates i don't understand why you'd want to move from NZ to here.
It was quite depressing returning back to Vic.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Ok, one last vid... This time with no dub step. The soundtrack matches the rest of the playlist now.

[video=youtube_share;mVmPC3JdG-8]http://youtu.be/mVmPC3JdG-8[/video]

Burgertron

Likes Dirt
Just returned from Qtown and have to say it was completely awesome.
Took an SX Trail with 36 Van's and it was perfect ... maybe a bit heavy and not quite as pedal friendly as the new Enduro's that my mates took but I had a blast and managed most tracks ..loved all the tracks..especially Armageddon > Thingymajig
Definately going back asap.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Heading to NZ mid april for a month with my wife. She can ride but she wont cope well with the steep stuff. She is on a Cypher which is the womens version of the Trance. 1x9 with a guide and High Rollers. Ill prob just take my Ransom as it should handle most that QT has to offer and we will prob do more XC style riding otherwise I will rent a Glory or Demo for a day to hit the big stuff. Dont want to get to QT pay for the Gondala only to find she needs to walk her bike back down every run. Is this likely to happen? Are there XC style trails comming down from the top? For those local in Brisbane she copes fine with the xc trails at Mount Joyce both up and down.

Burgertron

Likes Dirt
Heading to NZ mid april for a month with my wife. She can ride but she wont cope well with the steep stuff. She is on a Cypher which is the womens version of the Trance. 1x9 with a guide and High Rollers. Ill prob just take my Ransom as it should handle most that QT has to offer and we will prob do more XC style riding otherwise I will rent a Glory or Demo for a day to hit the big stuff. Dont want to get to QT pay for the Gondala only to find she needs to walk her bike back down every run. Is this likely to happen? Are there XC style trails comming down from the top? For those local in Brisbane she copes fine with the xc trails at Mount Joyce both up and down.
Youre going to have a ball...
We took Enduros and they were plenty of bike for most things..
We started most days with a few runs on Hammys to warm up...it's a flow downhill ...no drops just a smooth ribbon of dirt down the hill...awesome fun
We would then hit more advanced trails as we warmed up....you won't want to come home :)
We also went to 7 mile which is just out of town....big fun...lots of loops and berms..sweet as you like
Qtown is great too...lots to do...really busy and quite a fun party town....I'm already booking to go back.
I will post an album of pictures up from the trip
Have a blast
MK

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,
If the mrs' can ride, she'll love hammys trail. Even if you only ride that track, it's worth the lift pass! Hammys has a few bits that may feel step for an xc rider, but its all completely rollable, wide open, and smooth(ish). Only bumps are a few bracking ruts. I imagine hammys is like a longer better version of copperhead at buller (I've not ridden buller).
Its the kind of trail that has something for all skill levels.

Then if she gets the hang of hammys, move on to vertigo into original. Similar deal to hammys, just steeper and tighter. But still all rollable.

The other tracks is when it starts to get tricky, but even without the black runs, the place is more fun than anything in aus.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Just returned from Qtown and have to say it was completely awesome.
Took an SX Trail with 36 Van's and it was perfect ... maybe a bit heavy and not quite as pedal friendly as the new Enduro's that my mates took but I had a blast and managed most tracks ..loved all the tracks..especially Armageddon > Thingymajig
Definately going back asap.
I'm stoked you had great time, such a good place hey!
And how fun is the thingamajig!

Burgertron

Likes Dirt
Yeah had a great time...loved all the tracks
Never felt under cooked bike wise with the SX but if you did you could rent one of several 5 mins from the gondola...so good...anything from a Glory to a Kona to a Specialized
Plus apparently they are putting in another 100km of trail in the next year!!!
The comparison with Copperhead is pretty accurate ....it's just longer with better dirt...
Don't get me wrong cause I loved Copperhead and Buller but sheet Qtown rules...end of!!