quick muscle recovery?

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
does anyone know any tricks or something to get your muscles ( legs mainly) to feel a little bit less sore.

Im attempting to do the festive 500 strava challenge, ive completed 350km on my mtb and my legs are taking a beating. ive split my last 150km into 3 seperate rides of 50km.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
A few things
1. eat carbs within 30-40 mins of stopping, to help restock muscle glycogen, later eat some protein
2. re-hydrate
3. massage

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I think the AIS has a fact sheet on nutrition for endurance exercise that covers glycogen and electrolyte replenishment. Other things that are likely to help include stretching, foam roller and massage. You could also try BCAAs.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
make sure you're eating enough in general

I notice a massive increase in muscle soreness when I am not eating enough

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
The phosphorus in bananas are good for your muscles.

Cyclists loves bananas. They have more medicinal value for athletes than food value.

adaib

Likes Dirt
stretch each muscle for at least 30secs after each ride.
With the eating try and get protein and carbs in within 30mins of completing the ride. This is when there is a window of maximum absorption

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
I reckon my main problem is the stretching. I forget to do it sometimes before and after rides. I need to get back into the routine of doing it. but all the other advice will help heaps.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
from the AIS website, rather than stretching, they recommend a thorough cool down - ie after a hard ride, make sure there is a good 5 minutes of easy spinning, level 1 heart rate type stuff, to clear the muscles of lactate etc before cooling down. I dont know whether its for recovery or what, but you see it in the tour as well - the pro's talk to the press and then are bundled off to sit on a trainer for 10 minutes and spin. (plus the massages they get.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yes stretching used to be recommended to warm up muscles before running but the scientific evidence produced in testing showed that for runners a warm up run was better and there was only some benefit to stretching afterwards and this is because in running the muscles move eccentrically - that is you apply force as the muscle lengthens. Basically longer muscles produce more spring during the toe off phase of the stride, so by stretching you get more spring (free speed as they say). Cycling is a totally different movement, the muscles move concentrically, which means power is exerted as the muscle contracts. There are no real flexibility requirements or benefits for your legs for cycling (provided you are injury free). As you age, your back is a different story!

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
so its pretty much just eat carbs/protein within the 30 minute window after a ride.
stretch before and after a ride but do a cool down first.
re-hydrate
massage
eat the correct amount of food each day.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Ive got a fair while im hoping until i get worse back pain. I sometimes get it when doing very long rides but its mainly a bike fit issue.

adaib

Likes Dirt
As Slowman said, there is evidence against stretching before the ride. But other than that, your list sounds good.

Oh and, keep in mind that YOU RIDING 500KM! (good effort!) your legs are going to hurt. These are just ways to make them hurt less.

Last edited:

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
As Slowman said, there is evidence against stretching before the ride. But other than that, your list sounds good.

Oh and, keep in mind that YOU RIDING 500KM! (good effort!) your legs are going to hurt. These are just ways to make them hurt less.
Yea I didnt stretch before the ride i did just then I forgot to. just acheived the 500km mark then :D but I will go back to a 200km wekly goal now that this challenge is over.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
pre-ride stretch

I'm in no way an expert but from my experience with rock climbing stretching so that its hard work reduces your maximum power output. Better off with gentle dynamic stretch and shake and warm-up by gentle ride IMO

adaib

Likes Dirt
I'm in no way an expert but from my experience with rock climbing stretching so that its hard work reduces your maximum power output. Better off with gentle dynamic stretch and shake and warm-up by gentle ride IMO
Sorry I will clarify. When I have been referring to stretching I have been talking solely of static stretching.
By my understanding, a pre workout dynamic stretch is great for allowing you to reach your max (or near max) stretch potential. So for rock climbing, it would be great. Cycling, important and useful, but not as critical, as you don't use your full range of motion.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
so theres more than just one type of stretch. lol. I think ill just stick to a easy 4-5km of riding at the start and end of a ride.

One thing ive been wondering how would you go about doing a 8hr xc race. Im planning on doing one solo in 2013. Im guessing you would just keep up the carbs and protein, drink lots of water to keep hydrated, but in doing that i'd probably still get cramps.

adaib

Likes Dirt
Im guessing you would just keep up the carbs and protein, drink lots of water to keep hydrated, but in doing that i'd probably still get cramps.
-Pace yourself, don't go for strava on your first lap ;) If you keep your laps even through the whole race then you've done well.
-Add some electrolytes to your water, I use TORQ when racing and staminade when training, they'll help with cramps. Also keep up the static stretching between now and then (the usual sort of 'touch your toes' stretch). I've also found that eating beetroot in the lead up and during helps with cramp prevention.
-Stay well hydrated, force your self to drink. I go 750mls every 45mins when I'm racing, more when its hotter.