RealBike Insurance MTB Cruise

SSDave

Likes Dirt
1 x 9

I may actually use some gears for this, so long as I can figure how to count beforehand! Looking at setting up a 1 x 9 using a roadie cassette, xtr dual control and a xt shadow mid cage rear end, and perhaps a 40 tooth up front. Well, maybe.

tcp13equals2

Likes Bikes
Being a regular Stromlo rider I concur that the 100 miler needs to start before 9am ... it's going to be a long days ride for most people ...

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Only four weeks and three days to go! But who's counting...

80k's could feel like quite a long way before it's over :cool:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I was just wondering if there is going to be a time limit on the 100mile or not and what time does it get dark in ACT in early March. Is it safe to say with a 9am start you would have at least 10 hrs of daylight??

Oh and only 3 weeks and 4days to go!!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
C'mon

I may actually use some gears for this, so long as I can figure how to count beforehand! Looking at setting up a 1 x 9 using a roadie cassette, xtr dual control and a xt shadow mid cage rear end, and perhaps a 40 tooth up front. Well, maybe.
C'mon Dave,
I'm doing the 100miles SS and need the company.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was just wondering if there is going to be a time limit on the 100mile or not and what time does it get dark in ACT in early March. Is it safe to say with a 9am start you would have at least 10 hrs of daylight??
I was talking to martin about this yesterday actually.

he said

No cut off times in between laps. However there will be a cut off when we
don't think that riders won't make it back in daylight.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 9 February 2010 2:06 PM
To: Martin Wisata
Subject: Re: 100mile

Is there a time cut off?
With the highland fling I didn't quite make the last cut off with 25km to
go. That was at 8:30 hrs. / 140km
There were some 100km riders who took a lot longer than that to do just the 100km ride.
As some took over 9hrs to do the 100km.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I was talking to martin about this yesterday actually.

he said

No cut off times in between laps. However there will be a cut off when we
don't think that riders won't make it back in daylight.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, I was hoping that would be the case.

Those time limits on the fling 100mile is one of the main reasons I haven't had a crack at it. That and doin the Forest stage twice.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, I was hoping that would be the case.

Those time limits on the fling 100mile is one of the main reasons I haven't had a crack at it. That and doin the Forest stage twice.
Have a go this time around but Single Speed

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am giving very serious consideration to the 100 mile option - any guide as to what result from the recent Sydney 24 would be appropriate to tackle the 100 mile "cruise"

Are you in Mr Enduro Pulse?

How did other (definate and potential) 100 miler competitors do in the Sydney 24?

For reference, I did 20 laps in 24:02:23 (well 12:02:23 actually)

Which loosely translates to over 3440m of vertical gain (more since 7 laps were on the Sunday Morning course which featured more climbing) over 186km (assuming distance was the same on both courses)

My gut feeling is if there is no draconian cut off times I'm in, if there will be cut off times - it'll be a close run thing for me methinks

-Andrew

fezi

Likes Dirt
Am giving very serious consideration to the 100 mile option - any guide as to what result from the recent Sydney 24 would be appropriate to tackle the 100 mile "cruise"

Are you in Mr Enduro Pulse?

How did other (definate and potential) 100 miler competitors do in the Sydney 24?

For reference, I did 20 laps in 24:02:23 (well 12:02:23 actually)

Which loosely translates to over 3440m of vertical gain (more since 7 laps were on the Sunday Morning course which featured more climbing) over 186km (assuming distance was the same on both courses)

My gut feeling is if there is no draconian cut off times I'm in, if there will be cut off times - it'll be a close run thing for me methinks

-Andrew
100 mlie around stromlo will be considerably harder than an 8 + 4 hr ride around Del rio... plus they (RTE) want it finished up before dark as well so unless they start it mega early you'd have to be on it all the way and not in 24hr cruise mode. Plus the 100 mile you need an invite from the friendly people at RTE. Email Martin and ask, whats the worst that can happen?

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
Are you in Mr Enduro Pulse? -Andrew[/QUOTE said:
I've had to scale back from the 100mile and only do the 80km. Logistically it's impossible as I'm travelling down the morning of the race and will be struggling just to make the 10am start let alone a 6:30am for the 100mile.

Will be interesting though as it will probably have some decent climbing in it. It is Stromlo after all...

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Waiting for the OK from the minister for household affairs, hopefully will be in for the 100mile!!!

Cheers, Sean

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gah Sean!

I was going to do whichever cat you and EP did, now its one each way - what am I to do!

Just to confirm, the 50/80/160 course is basically Stromlo Loop #4 with a slight detour of about 4km between Telegraph Junction and the Western Carpark

see Stromlo loop 4 @ the Stromlo Website: http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au/mtb/documents/SFP_mtbLoop04.pdf

I notice that the climbing is via Blue Gums - thats good - its by far the easiest way up the mountain - and isn't too exposed to the sun (well compared to the other options)

Looking at the map, I couln't figure out which tracks we'll be taking up top -as much as I'd love to see Double Disolution included, its a recipie for physical and mechanical disaster - fortunately there is no bad choices in that area - all great trails

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Have a go Aussie, whats the worst that can happen, you don't finish the 100 miles and have a good training ride??

That's the way I'm lookin at it anyway, and your pace on the weekend looks about what my would of been, which could be ramped a little cos your not riding for 24hrs.

Just do it!!!

Raf

Likes Dirt
Looking at the map, I couln't figure out which tracks we'll be taking up top -as much as I'd love to see Double Disolution included, its a recipie for physical and mechanical disaster - fortunately there is no bad choices in that area - all great trails
Yeh, thats not "Double Dissolution", its "terminal velocity" onto 'Dead Gum Dam'.

You're also right that the other two ways up the hill do not = 'Cruise'. Cardiac climb or BLue tongue/Heart Breaker. WHo wants to bet the world champs race takes one of the nastier options though?

Raf