Reduced numbers in XC/marathon events? Why?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
What is the driver for Sun versus Sat events?
It's a balance between the needs of the organisers and the needs of the punters. Some events need the extra weekend day to do the event shutdown, some organisers use the Sunday to provide for punters who travel (especially for regional events), sometimes it can be to avoid clashes between other local & regional events...in most cases though I don't believe there's actually much consideration given either way because many organisers (including our own club committee) work on the assumption that punters will show up if they really want to do the event and there's not much we can do practically/ethically/affordably to convince them otherwise...except put up the 'best' case we can. And hope...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
What is the driver for Sun versus Sat events?

Not that we're in your area but we do Saturdays for our 3hr series for a few reasons.

1. We thought it might encourage people to come up, race sat arv then either cruz home without the need to battle the mad Sunday afternoon traffic across the mountains or hang around Saturday night and explore the trails more on Sunday.

2. That was the day most of the organisers were more able to get available

3. Sundays weren't working for us with numbers.

I know the Saturday schedule makes it difficult for some riders to make it with work and family commitments and we're open to trying Sundays again(Sheep Stations Fiddy K Sunday 26th April...) but if its the difference of getting a few extra riders and making it easier for those that organise we have to look after our volunteers

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the responses guys (apart from you PB, useless as always :dance:). Makes sense. I'll have to encourage my kids to watch TV, play more Xbox and drop their sports (no I won't).

John U

MTB Precision
You dudes make sacrifices for your kids sports, why can't they occasionally make sacrifices for your sport? You're not racing every weekend are you? How often would they need to give up a Saturday for you to race?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You dudes make sacrifices for your kids sports, why can't they occasionally make sacrifices for your sport? You're not racing every weekend are you? How often would they need to give up a Saturday for you to race?
Ever tried sacrificing a child? Hard enough even without Mum around (let alone grand parents). Kids just don't do sacrifice...

I'm struggling with just eight weekends per annum. I've already missed two so far. And I've just given up on the Kona as well.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
I missed out on 2 years of events due to the kids sports, solution, dont have them!!!!

i didnt have them...i inherited them two years ago....and now saturday mornings involve going to Miss 11's netball games....

but if i missed one every so often it wouldnt hurt....

find a balance that suits...

every 'family' dynamic is different from what we can manage...

im not keen on the saturday events ...as leaving work at 5pm then travelling friday night isnt my preferred option...

people will come and go , event numbers will fluctuate...its the same as triathlons to a degree as far as numbers...yes i spent years in that sport also...

softek

Likes Dirt
I totally agree with you John, but for some reason, when the kids sacrifice there sports for your riding, you have this feeling that kills you a bit, called GUILT, the wife makes sure you feel it, by slipping in a few words like SELFISH, I mean , seriously , you only live once right?, thing is right, take the kids to soccer and swimming etc and you sit there watching them do there stuff, then when you ask them, wanna go watch dad ride his bike?, answer instantly is NO.

go figure

John U

MTB Precision
I totally agree with you John, but for some reason, when the kids sacrifice there sports for your riding, you have this feeling that kills you a bit, called GUILT, the wife makes sure you feel it, by slipping in a few words like SELFISH, I mean , seriously , you only live once right?, thing is right, take the kids to soccer and swimming etc and you sit there watching them do there stuff, then when you ask them, wanna go watch dad ride his bike?, answer instantly is NO.

go figure
My wife has been good about letting me take off for an event. I reckon my kids might be up for it but my wife has refused to bring them along so far this year. It is solo solo for me.

Maybe once they've been to a race I may never get them back there for a 2nd one. I seen quite a few families at races and the kids appear to have no trouble keeping themselves amused.

I actually think my kids appreciate more when I go to their sporting events because I am not there all the time.

It's a bit rough calling you selfish for taking time out to ride, as long as your partner gets the same opportunity, even if she chooses not to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Not that we're in your area but we do Saturdays for our 3hr series for a few reasons.

1. We thought it might encourage people to come up, race sat arv then either cruz home without the need to battle the mad Sunday afternoon traffic across the mountains or hang around Saturday night and explore the trails more on Sunday.

2. That was the day most of the organisers were more able to get available

3. Sundays weren't working for us with numbers.

I know the Saturday schedule makes it difficult for some riders to make it with work and family commitments and we're open to trying Sundays again(Sheep Stations Fiddy K Sunday 26th April...) but if its the difference of getting a few extra riders and making it easier for those that organise we have to look after our volunteers
Kids Saturday sport crueled that for us so sundays are the go here in Dubbo, but youre never going to please everyone, if the committee that made that decision was made up of churchgoers rather than sports heads we might well be a Saturday club. Travel wise sunday works better for us being so far away, getting a race done and dusted sunday am gives people time to head home