Reduced numbers in XC/marathon events? Why?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clubs need to look at how they promote their event. Get your track looking as good as possible with some volunteer hours. Record a video showing the best parts of your track and include atmosphere from previous events.

One event which I am still dying to try is the Melrose Fat Tyre Festival.

Race promoters need to have a look at how this event is marketed and run. Quality videos (can be done well with just a GoPro cheaply), fun activities for kids, lots of smiling and laughter.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Clubs need to look at how they promote their event. Get your track looking as good as possible with some volunteer hours. Record a video showing the best parts of your track and include atmosphere from previous events.

One event which I am still dying to try is the Melrose Fat Tyre Festival.

Race promoters need to have a look at how this event is marketed and run. Quality videos (can be done well with just a GoPro cheaply), fun activities for kids, lots of smiling and laughter.
If you can get there... Melrose is AWESOME!

It's probably 100km too far from Adelaide to really reach its full potential though.

Also it's not a race... just a fun weekend, though I think there may be plans to run a clandestine Gravity Enduro there.

Come for the 18hr Stevob! I'll be there on my SS

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Too hard.... What a load....
Context is everything - it might've been the only answer that sort of fits.

An example of a course I rode on last week . We rode the piney race course,we have all ridden lots of courses and after a couple of laps declared it the hardest race course we had ridden with all the uphil A lines that were a serious test of whether they were rideable by anyone outside of there very elite.

One of the comments was, fuck me, 12 hours of THAT? Stuff that for a joke....

A grind up a long hill is fine whilever there is a great reward at the end of it.

ATEOTD we are in these races for fun, so will gravitate towards courses and events that have good doses of fun in them as well. The mont course always has a couple of seriously fun and fast downhill sections for instance.

A technical course is fine for short events, not as much for long events.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
forrest 6 hour course description is interesting, guess they know something about appealing to more riders

The Course Map

The course for the 2015 Forrest 6 Hour has been designed to appeal to the elite competitor, as well as making it a very achievable course for everyone.

Climbing has been kept to a minimum, and additional sections of wide open firetrail or double track to allow for passing opportunities, and taking on drink and food, for solo competitors.

Forrest's famous "Marriners Run" is a key feature of the course, with its world class berms, we know you will remember this course for many years after the event.

This course has been described as a "down hill loop"... how we have managed to create a course that is just so fun, will remain our secret.
We are sure you will enjoy this course and with average lap times less than 30 minutes, means that you are your team mates get more laps!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can get there... Melrose is AWESOME!

It's probably 100km too far from Adelaide to really reach its full potential though.

Also it's not a race... just a fun weekend, though I think there may be plans to run a clandestine Gravity Enduro there.

Come for the 18hr Stevob! I'll be there on my SS
Pfft...I'd love to say I'd give you some competition on the SS Matt, but we both know that's not going to happen. ;)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
forrest 6 hour course description is interesting, guess they know something about appealing to more riders

The Course Map

The course for the 2015 Forrest 6 Hour has been designed to appeal to the elite competitor, as well as making it a very achievable course for everyone.

Climbing has been kept to a minimum, and additional sections of wide open firetrail or double track to allow for passing opportunities, and taking on drink and food, for solo competitors.

Forrest's famous "Marriners Run" is a key feature of the course, with its world class berms, we know you will remember this course for many years after the event.

This course has been described as a "down hill loop"... how we have managed to create a course that is just so fun, will remain our secret.
We are sure you will enjoy this course and with average lap times less than 30 minutes, means that you are your team mates get more laps!
The Forrest 6hr is really struggling to get numbers at the moment. Norm needs to look at ways to get people interested again.

John U

MTB Precision
Needs more fire trail!
How much climbing was there in the GG? Maybe that was what they were speaking of.

I was going to do the Wombat on Sunday. I did it in the early days and loved it. I only just found out that the golden triangle epic is on in 2 weeks. Not sure if it's club run but it is significantly cheaper for the same distance. Think I'll do that instead.

Haven't seen the GTE advertised anywhere.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
How much climbing was there in the GG? Maybe that was what they were speaking of.

I was going to do the Wombat on Sunday. I did it in the early days and loved it. I only just found out that the golden triangle epic is on in 2 weeks. Not sure if it's club run but it is significantly cheaper for the same distance. Think I'll do that instead.

About 200m over a 10km loop. Single track was too technical and not enough passing spots. So needs more fire trail - presumably to take care of the above two gripes.

Sure, our club could do better on getting it out there and doing promo work but when it is only six core people putting the whole thing together (and gaining nothing from doing so - club makes maybe 1k?), I'm sure you can see where I'm (and other small clubs) are heading...

John U

MTB Precision
About 200m over a 10km loop. Single track was too technical and not enough passing spots. So needs more fire trail - presumably to take care of the above two gripes.

Sure, our club could do better on getting it out there and doing promo work but when it is only six core people putting the whole thing together (and gaining nothing from doing so - club makes maybe 1k?), I'm sure you can see where I'm (and other small clubs) are heading...
I did hear about the Granite Grind. No problems there.

Small well spaced sections fire trail do solve a few issues.

MJG

Likes Dirt

This is worth giving an occasional glance:
http://www.mountainbikevictoria.com/Calendar.aspx

johndh

Likes Dirt
Yep the golden triangle epic is a club run epic.

Golden Triangle Epic 2015 - April 26th 2015

www.goldentriangleepic.com

OVER $10,000 in CASH + $8,000 in prizes up for grabs at #GTE2015

WIN A TREK SUPERFLY FS8

Follow, Like & Love us

#GTE2015

Event Details What: Mountain Bike Marathon

When: 26th April 2014

Where: Koolamurt Scout Camp, 44 Mandurang Rd, Bendigo Accomodation Available at cheap rates!

Freebies:

Prizes:

Info: Website: www.goldentriangleepic.com Facebook Event: Golden Triangle Epic

Enter: Event entry via ENTRYZONE

Pre-ride: Event prerides will be advertised prior to the event.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Interesting (and not that surprising I guess?) that the 40-49 y.o male demographic had the largest field in the 50, 75 and 100km distances at the weekends Woodend Wombat. The 50km in particular attracted 113 'Masters' riders (makes me feel old...), almost double the next nearest 30-39y.o. category (67 riders):

50km stats:
http://tomatotiming.racetecresults.com/default.aspx?CId=16&RId=28338&EId=3

75km stats:
http://tomatotiming.racetecresults.com/default.aspx?CId=16&RId=28338&EId=2

100km stats:
http://tomatotiming.racetecresults.com/default.aspx?CId=16&RId=28338&EId=1

MJG

Likes Dirt
Thanks very much for that MJG.

Is the Bright 24 hour the only 24 hour in Victoria now? No Wombat 24?
I believe the Wombat24 didn't get enough entries to cover the costs of the event centre hire. If the organizers were to run another 24 they would likely do so from a different venue.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A question, not a complaint, but an aspect that stops me attending these events is that they are often on a Sat (such as most of the VES rounds and quite a few 6 hours) so if you have a family that means you're cooked because of kids sport. I am presuming (maybe dangerously), that there would be quite a few in this position. What is the driver for Sun versus Sat events? Again not having a go at organisers as I appreciate the effort everyone makes, just curious.