Rice cakes for MTB

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
2020 saw me getting into marathon & stage races.
As a big guy (100kg). with 40 years of swimming, paddling ,ocean race ski & outriggers, I need a lot of quality fuel to ride 50+ km at race pace.
Came across this recipe & for me there the bomb.
Easy to make, freeze & carry well + easy to digest.
Cheap as compared to all the over the counter stuff & for me work well.

PJO

in me vL comy
They sound pretty good.
Do they keep well in the freezer? i.e. how long have you kept them frozen before using?

teK--

Eats Squid
Oooh good find there.

I love rice as a source of carbs pre-ride, but during the ride the only convenient form that has a decent calorie/volume ratio is LCM bars, and even then they don't pack a lot of punch.

Will have to give these a try.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I’ve tried those rice cakes before and found them quite stodgy. I tend to have snakes on a short ride, and a peanut butter sandwich plus anything else I can find in the fridge on a longer one. Maybe a banana.

AKA the WeightWeenie forum rice cakes.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Can I substitute tequila in for the agave nectar seeing as it comes from the same plant?

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
They freeze well, only frozen for 4 weeks so far.
I was originally reluctant re Froome, the stick insect serial cheater, however I took the moral high ground & moved on.
At 100kg, I've never been called a weight weenie, bit chuffed now, proper nutrition = longer rides with no cramps = more fun.
As for extra ingredient's, not yourselves out.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I eat tonnes of rice, rekon I could wrangle a hack recipe that uses already cooked leftoverrice? Probably won't be as nice.

On a side note, mum used to make rice cakes with leftover rice. Was pretty much some kind of syrup and then chuck the lot in to a deep fryer. Pretty much becomes like a denser but crispy version of lcms.

Kind of like this, but not as brown, and as a standalone sweet snack. https://theheirloompantry.co/how-to-make-crispy-rice-squares/

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
New recipe
Corn tortilla, peanut paste, cooked arborio rice & chopped green olives, roll tightly & refrigerate.
Cut into sections the next day.
More savory then the rice cakes & they taste better then they sound.
With no cream cheese, longer lasting.
Still no tequila.