Ride or...

Wooly

Likes Dirt
Hey burners,

Been thinking about posting this and thought it’d interesting too see if anyone can relate or share experiences with the forum.

Started uni just over a month ago and had too sell my DH bike too pay for fees and equipment, studying Photography takes a bit of money if you start with bugger all and your school doesn’t provide everything you need.

Thinking about it the other day, it was the decision that I made too sell my DH bike too study photography was a pretty decent turning point in my riding, at the moment I’m still zooming around on my old hardtail which is fine enough.

Realising that i will not have a DH bike for at least 3 years sucks hard.

Has anyone else come too the point where you decide to sell your prized possession or some of your gear too make ends meet? And if so was it worth it?

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Being poor through uni is hard. Especially as it is an investment of a number of years - years you can see others working and being able to afford things.

Consider it an investment in your financial future. Later on your earning potential will be far greater than it is now. You will be able (if you are prudent) to afford a number of DH bikes if that is what you desire.

My biggest sacrifice was privacy - share housing does suck at times. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Now I can easily afford my own place. Plus the 5 bikes I currently own...plus holidays...plus...

:) Make sure you finish it off - your degree. That piece of paper is important.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Hey burners,

Been thinking about posting this and thought it’d interesting too see if anyone can relate or share experiences with the forum.

Started uni just over a month ago and had too sell my DH bike too pay for fees and equipment, studying Photography takes a bit of money if you start with bugger all and your school doesn’t provide everything you need.

Thinking about it the other day, it was the decision that I made too sell my DH bike too study photography was a pretty decent turning point in my riding, at the moment I’m still zooming around on my old hardtail which is fine enough.

Realising that i will not have a DH bike for at least 3 years sucks hard.

Has anyone else come too the point where you decide to sell your prized possession or some of your gear too make ends meet? And if so was it worth it?
I've had to do it numerous times...it sucks but that's life. I just see it as shifting money around. I had to have a camera for my uni course and thus the bike was split to pay for it and all the other stuff needed.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I sold my beloved Saxophone to buy a bike so i could ride to college years ago. It was an old Kona Lava Dome.....funnily enough if i hadnt have done that i probably would not be on this forum....but i would probably have had far more girlfriends:cool:

hollowman

Likes Bikes
i know the feeling,
being in my 30's and being at uni, i also have a mortgage, child etc.
I play guitar, surf and cycle.
you soon find you are better with what you keep than you were with more and more flashy stuff.
THEN.... when graduation comes, so does money.;)
That is when your hard graft pays off.
PS good luck with the degree

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Have been slowly selling off the older herd members of my collection ... I still can't believe how little I got for them ... then again, I'm happy they are going to people that will use them, as opposed to just sitting in my shed.

Money is being used for other endeavours which hopefully will grow to bigger and better things so short term pain, hopefully long term gain.

Some nice memories with those bikes ... bah

Suggest you take some business related courses ... may come in handy if you freelance down the track. Good Luck with it, but more importantly enjoy the learning process, makes it easier and you'll retain what your taught, or experience, better.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately welcome to the real world:rolleyes:
I in my 40's - with a mortgage, cars to run, girlfriend,new dog etc. I surf , do yoga teaching and ride. I just come to the realisation that something has to give - i will be selling my dh bike , dh takes alot of time with min actual time on the bike. As much as i love itr sometimes we just have to sacrifice.
I was in similar situation to you in mys 20's - at uni studying accounting and had to sell my triathlon bikes to fund uni. It sucked at the time but your degree is way more important than bikes. Study hard, it will be over in 3 years then you will be able to buy what you want....until kids,marriage, mortgage cums up - its a vicious cycle but all a part of life:D

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have sold many bikes because I needed the cash for bills/Tafe/car etc. It sucks. Sometimes you have to shift money like that and make uni/bills a priority but the best way to go about it is to minimize the number of bikes (One.) and don't touch it. Don't buy new parts and just keep the bike running. Much cheaper to do what you can to keep the bike rather then have to sell and buy again later..

But yes. Unfortunately Hobbies/Sport have to come second to most things. :(

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't worry about what bike you do or don't have or had to sell, just love riding and having fun on whatever you ride!

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
....until kids,marriage, mortgage cums up - its a vicious cycle but all a part of life:D
There is the killer right there!! Even through Uni I managed to cobble together enough finances through a million part time jobs to keep participating in my loves, skiing, surfing, climbing etc. However it's interesting to note that all the mates who like me managed to maintain an active lifestyle with "limited" toys through uni, have all fallen by the wayside once marriage, mortgage and kids came along! Don't ever underestimate the time and $$ that kids take! However I've been told well worth it...... I've lived a great life without! :eek:

Wooly

Likes Dirt
not even thinking about kids or any of the forth coming bills.

cheers for the advice and all guys, just gotta get my focus on... literally! *boom - tish*

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May I please suggest digging trail? You only need a basic bike to get there and back (stow the tools on site), you keep fit, make things that matter and when you do get back to riding more often - well there's that special something about riding on a trail you brought up like a baby and people like you. So, it's like a family without the mortgage.