Riding in Europe

Jpez

Down on the left!
As a connoisseur of vending machines, this cheese one receives high praise!
Italy does well too! They have some very interesting sexy time vending machines. And I don’t mean just packs of ribbed Durex either. Whoever curated the contents of the machine sure had fun! And cannabis vape machines.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
So @Smiker your recommendation of Verbier blew my puny little head clean off. I was lucky as I got there the day before they stopped all the lifts to the very very top for the season. About 3 in total above the bike park level. I think that made it an 5 lift ride from the valley floor to the highest point. The last being a tiny old rickety on person only car that lasted for about 15min.
After that it was just the 1 for the bike park but still a lot of access to high ups if willing to traverse and climb lucky I don’t at all mind a pedal.
The mix of stunningly built bike park with beautifully crafted flow trails to stupid steep and janky DH stuff was incredible in itself but up into the natural high up exposed trails next to the glacier all the way way down to the valley floor through hundreds years old villages was an experience I’ll never forget. Did it a couple of times from different routes. Couple thousand meters descending each time.
Jackass was also an experience after it had rained the previous day and night! I’m pretty sure I felt terror trying negotiate some of those tight switchbacks. Got better at it though although my my nose endo game needs work! Especially with a sheer cliff only feet to one side.
One thing I noticed in the park. Trail crews were everywhere. Also the trails were so well maintained and built there were almost zero braking bumps.
So I rode a bit of park but for me the natural trails and descending were the star of the show for me. I rode the red trails which I’d say equal a very dark black in Oz, poked my nose down some blacks but I think a full face would be essential at least and I didn’t have permission to get injured. So left those.
The yellow ‘race’ track was insane. Watching some of the pros hit the rock gardens at speed was a sight to behold. Sections were also near vertical.

I’m in Prato atm where my missus’s conference is. There are millionsof trails in the hills above and even a small DH park of sorts but couldn’t organise any of the shops or even the local ‘PratoFreeride’ FB page to help me out with any hire bikes or guides.

Anyway heading to Nice soon and I’ve been given a days leave pass. Do you or anyone else have recommendations for that region?

If anyone’s interested I’ll update this thread with some photos at trips end. Problem is I only took photos on the gondola or trails end. Too busy riding to stop and take shots. Got a few ok ones though.

I got a couple of shirts for @Mattyp and @frenchman but I left em on the train accidentally as I was still spellbound after staring in wonder at the Fondue and Racklett cheese vending machine! Ridiculously civilised.View attachment 402975View attachment 402973
Glad it worked at @Jpez - sounds like you had an amazing time.

I've only ridden road in Nice, I used to help out a friend there with some guiding. If that was an option then you can hire a bike from Cafe du Cycliste in the old town/Port. But - one of the OG DH World Cup trails isn't far off at Cap d'ail,,.

Along the coast around Menton, head inland a little to Sospel, I think there are great trails in the forest perhaps even descending from the Col du Braus. I also remember riding past a MTB park when climbing to the village of Poggio in Italy (the Poggio climb is actually closer to 30km, not just what's in MSR).

I was in Switzerland and Italy in August/September, for a bikepacking trip and a stage race. It was a great reminder of riding/racing ancient trails that have been trodden in over centuries. So good!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Glad it worked at @Jpez - sounds like you had an amazing time.

I've only ridden road in Nice, I used to help out a friend there with some guiding. If that was an option then you can hire a bike from Cafe du Cycliste in the old town/Port. But - one of the OG DH World Cup trails isn't far off at Cap d'ail,,.

Along the coast around Menton, head inland a little to Sospel, I think there are great trails in the forest perhaps even descending from the Col du Braus. I also remember riding past a MTB park when climbing to the village of Poggio in Italy (the Poggio climb is actually closer to 30km, not just what's in MSR).

I was in Switzerland and Italy in August/September, for a bikepacking trip and a stage race. It was a great reminder of riding/racing ancient trails that have been trodden in over centuries. So good!
Thanks for all your advice mate. IT’s appreciated. I checked out that Cafe shop you mentioned. Seems they only have pretty average hard tails or 1 full suspension er…e.. eb….eBi… E… fuck. Can’t even say it. Ee.. almost there. EBIKE! There. Got it out. It’s a medium anyways.
I contacted a local shuttle company and fuck me the French are abrupt. Was a big fat no.
so seems I might wander in the that shop in my baggies Fox helmet and hire a roadie. Something different.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Thanks for all your advice mate. IT’s appreciated. I checked out that Cafe shop you mentioned. Seems they only have pretty average hard tails or 1 full suspension er…e.. eb….eBi… E… fuck. Can’t even say it. Ee.. almost there. EBIKE! There. Got it out. It’s a medium anyways.
I contacted a local shuttle company and fuck me the French are abrupt. Was a big fat no.
so seems I might wander in the that shop in my baggies Fox helmet and hire a roadie. Something different.
Wash your mouth out and go rent that ebike.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Well I may be a dirty roadie at times but Nice has some of the best road riding around - DM me and I can dig out some gpx files from my dirt bag era 2010-2012, where I had couches to stay around the world and riding new places was a reason for being.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Well I may be a dirty roadie at times but Nice has some of the best road riding around - DM me and I can dig out some gpx files from my dirt bag era 2010-2012, where I had couches to stay around the world and riding new places was a reason for being.
Will do mate!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The only problem with road riding in Europe is you get depressed the next time you road ride here and are reminded how aggressive and dumb Australians are…

LPG

likes thicc birds
Belgium is our first stop but only for one day -

Waffles, frites, chocolate and beer...
I remember crossing into Belgium on a bike tour. Stopped at a local pub overlooking a river and ordered a Rochefort 8 and a bowl of chips for about 5 euro. So many good high alcohol beers there. I woke up way too many times in my tent on the hard ground realising I fell asleep while taking a break from blowing up the air mattress which was usually half inflated on top of me.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I remember crossing into Belgium on a bike tour. Stopped at a local pub overlooking a river and ordered a Rochefort 8 and a bowl of chips for about 5 euro. So many good high alcohol beers there. I woke up way too many times in my tent on the hard ground realising I fell asleep while taking a break from blowing up the air mattress which was usually half inflated on top of me.
I'll also be visiting this place -

I hope to make a contribution to this thread next year!

Reactions: LPG

Jpez

Down on the left!
The only problem with road riding in Europe is you get depressed the next time you road ride here and are reminded how aggressive and dumb Australians are…
I don’t need that to remind me how dumb and aggressive we are. Travelling around Europe is reminding me every moment we seem to love celebrating being stupid. The lack of manbag wearing bogans and monster trucks has been refreshing. Oh, and the stylish women. And the food.

oh yeah and the amazing recycling programs, at least in Switzerland, Italy andFrance the distinct lack of general rubbish on the ground and the amount of either electric or higher tech lower emissions vehicles. Except for these little smoke belching 2stroke mechanised burros in Cinquterra. I want one!
DFF3C7D2-A9F5-4E82-B56D-512B11DC829B.jpeg

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I don’t need that to remind me how dumb and aggressive we are. Travelling around Europe is reminding me every moment we seem to love celebrating being stupid. The lack of manbag wearing bogans and monster trucks has been refreshing. Oh, and the stylish women. And the food.

oh yeah and the amazing recycling programs, at least in Switzerland, Italy andFrance the distinct lack of general rubbish on the ground and the amount of either electric or higher tech lower emissions vehicles. Except for these little smoke belching 2stroke mechanised burros in Cinquterra. I want one! View attachment 403119