Rocky Trail's SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Hi guys,

After a big series finale at Mt Stromlo we have some very exciting news regarding the 2011 series: as you can see in the title SHIMANO is on board as principal sponsor which means that you can expect even more great gear to be tested and scored next season.

The first round will be the first race ever at the new tracks at Mt Annan Botanic Garden. We have been working together with them for over one and a half years now and helped push the trail-build along and are now very proud to be the first race there. It will be in conjunction with the Banzai Lifecycle MTB Fitness Series, which is aimed at first timers and riders who want to get in shape but not race.

The date for round 1 is March 26 and registration for it is open already.
All the info about the series is here:
http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/events/MTBGP-overview.html

We again have 4 rounds and all of them will have the 4 hour as well as 8 hour option. Solo to teams of 3. Prices remain the same as in 2010.

Looking forward to a great series!
Martin

kilaton

Likes Bikes
rocky trail

mate cant wait , if this years events were anything to go by next year will be fantastic . hoping to ride all events next year .stromlo was hard but a great track to ride . never saw so many people get punctures , and I was one of them .
again cant wait for next year .

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I may make an observation/suggestion.

The Stromlo round is on the same weekend as the Singletrack Mind round is at Mt Annan. The preceding weekend is free of any Endurance racing - perhaps the two promoters could cut a deal so the not insignificant number of people attempting to do both won't suffer (pretty please with a gel on top?)

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S. I've posted the same message in the Singletrack Mind thread - time to get talking guys/girls!

P.P.S. Don't tell STM but if I have to choose I'll pick you guys ;) still, doing both would be great :D

trailburner

Turning up the heat for the MTB Grand Prix

We are turning up the heat for the SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix.

Our restructured range of categories will ensure tight and fair battles across gender and age groups.

The focus is on Solo and Pair racing while we still have the Team of 3 option for the 8hour.

The bigger categories will always be run while some only if 3 or more teams sign up for them.

Masters (40+) and Supermasters (50+) will have their own categories.

Elite category (18-39) will see tough battles - that's for sure.

Juniors can sign up at a reduced price for Solo and Team of 2 in the GP4 and Team of 2 in the GP8

Singlespeeders will have their own solo categories if 3 or more sign up.

For the full list of categories have a look here:
http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/events/MTBGP-registration.html

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Just signed up for the 8hr Teams Martin. Cant wait after the Jet Black event. Looking forward to another Rockytrail race. Countdown on !!!:cool:

trailburner

SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011 presents:
NSW/ACT Bike Shop Trophy
Win bragging rights till the cows come home!

The official Rocky Trail SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Trophy for display on the shop floor
read: the biggest, most awesome trophy in the Southern Hemisphere that will make you sell more bikes.

Rocky Trail lunch or dinner party with Austrian Schnitzels & Czech Bernard Beer, for your entire team at your shop or the Rocky Trail HQ.
read: the most authentic Schnitzels made to Juliane’s grandma’s recipe and the best isotonic drink to put your legs back together after four rounds of MTB GP racing!

Here’s what we have in mind:

• Bike Shop Trophy riders can participate in the 8-hour or 4-hour elite solo or team categories
  • The more riders and teams ride for your shop, the more series points you collect
  • Bike shop solo riders and teams collect GP series points AND compete in a separate Bike Shop Trophy ranking
  • Riders and teams need to be clearly identified as bike shop racers (team jersey and name)
  • All four GP rounds count for points
  • Teams: at least one original team member needs to be racing every round

How we’ll promote it:

• Online launch media campaign
  • Photographer at every race – you get photos for your website/newsletter/notice board in-store
  • Listing of participating bike shops on RTE website
  • Facebook feature about participating bike shops after first round
  • Post-series PR campaign for the winning shop
  • Promotion of winning bike shop through Rocky Trail marketing channels

B.J.

Likes Bikes
Hope the rain lets up for next weeks series opener. If it gets rescheduled the date that has been allocated means I can't race as I'm working. Hope the trail will be open.

Hey Martin, what's the process if the race does get rescheded, in terms of refunds I mean, if any? As per your refund policy on RTE web page I presume?

trailburner

Hey Martin, what's the process if the race does get rescheded, in terms of refunds I mean, if any? As per your refund policy on RTE web page I presume?
Yes in general we try to reschedule it first and then the RTE policy as it is on the website applies.

However the weather forecast is very good. Rain today, showers tomorrow and then sunny.

I raced the Merida 12 hour last weekend - 1 small shower was all we had. So if the weather sucks just travel to a race far away.... no excuse to not ride :)

toby

Likes Dirt
Having ridden there after a brief shower the trail is actually more like clay than dirt. Time to get out the wide spaced knobbies I think!

Regardless I am looking forward to another great Rocky Trail race...

Last edited:

trailburner

We'll be there Wednesday to bunt the track - will let you know how it developed with the rain and forecasted sun.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Can't make this weekend, but am considering the other three races in this series.

What's the event like for first timers? Will I need someone onsite with me to hold a bike for a running start/water refills, or would I be fine just turning up by myself?

What's the event like for first timers? Will I need someone onsite with me to hold a bike for a running start/water refills, or would I be fine just turning up by myself?
Hi Jubas - These events are great for first timers and you will be fine just turning up by yourself. No running (le mans) starts in these events. And you can have all of your own water/food refils next to the lap transition area.