Rollercoaster powered by Flow - 2014 NSW State Series and Championships

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had an absolute ball, I reckon I had more fun riding with buddies and sledging other riders / friends, there was a race as well apparently.

I didn't have good legs by the time I got to race the Shimano trail... I reckon that's where some good time would have been made.

I can't wait for the next round in Shredbo...

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Top day! It was a great test of all-round bike riding. The Shimano trail brought the pain.

One area that could be improved is the Rego queue, 50mins ... Ain't nobody got time for dat! Everything else was top-notch.

Anyone seen the results anywhere?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Top day! It was a great test of all-round bike riding. The Shimano trail brought the pain.

One area that could be improved is the Rego queue, 50mins ... Ain't nobody got time for dat! Everything else was top-notch.

Anyone seen the results anywhere?
Have to agree, really fun day, everyone in our crew except two were first timers and they had a really good day out on the bikes.

I heard a lot of complaining about the rego, we joked about making a Strava segment for the queue. Maybe having a second station or open it earlier would help. But overall with that many riders it wasn't so bad. We just waited, joked around, had coffee, checked out bikes going past etc. I think we lined up at 830 and by the time we did it, geared up and headed to the track it was 10.

I knew a lot of riders were headed for the DH so we though we would do the vitamix trail to show the newbs how the timing worked. The. Ride to the shuttle. line was not too long and when we got to the top we only waited around 15 minutes to start.
Clean run to shake off the nerves. Then down to shuttle and back up to do shimano trail via the DH start. It was Good to have another run up there but my young mate had a stack just before the second pallet jump that left him a little grazed and shook up.
Then we dropped off the DH into shimano trail. It was a real test to keep your line on the switchies as they were pretty much just off camber dust. As we were riding pretty close I had an almost otb after locking my front when the guy in front came to a sudden halt, all good but my seat hit a tree and twisted 90 degrees and down. Rode on for a bit then stopped to fix it. That will teach me for greasing my seat clamps and rails prior to the day to fix a creak. Had a good pedal section near jelly leg, worked on gearing selection a bit in practice which came In handy come racetime.

For the race I was in expert male so we did the reverse order with shimano trail first then cbd. I reckon that May have given our class a little bit of advantage over others as we got to do the neutral ride with relatively fresh legs. The climb up the fire trail was not that bad... Running 1x10 I got up in 32/32 so I was happy with that to warm up before the race run. The only downside was the wait. By the time you were at the start the legs had cooled down and nerves kick back in. Also the constant complaining about the wait from the guys behind me. Would not shut up about how long it was taking... Lame

Anyway, got both race runs done clean so I was pretty stoked with that. Then we had a sneaky trip on an empty shuttle back to the tower rather ride up to the pit area, then had a cruise down the dirt road with some fun skids.

Top notch day and thanks to rockytrail for a great event
https://vimeo.com/85198491

Last edited:

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Nice work!

Pretty happy with that overall, 11th in my category (vets) and more importantly, I beat my mate down the DH trail by 4 secs - although he did beat me on the XC by 18 secs, so won overall. But, he does ride one of those skinny machines to work most days a week, and I've spent the last year (pretty much) drinking beer and eating pies! ;) :D

Psyched for the next race!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
There were quite a few photographers so I'd be interested to see some photos, when available!

:fear:
this..... Normally I'm on the other side of the lens, took the camera but didn't get it out this time, but now I know more of how it feels to be riding and the added pressure of the media spotlight hahahaha ;)

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
I entered this event with a little apprehension as I have never done a gravity event more even ridden a downhill track in anger. It looked Luke one week out I would miss the event due to bike failure but thanow to Tim (crashbandicoot) fro Hunter MTB club and YETI Australia I was hooked up with an awesome YETI ASR7 for the day. Which was way more capable than handling anything this trail and by Gumby line selection threw at it. I can't thank these guys enough for giving me a chance to compete in this event on an awesome bike. now to get fitter and much bigger balls for next time.
It was also good to meet a few fellow burners on the day and put some faces to names.

Last edited:

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
As soon as we get the links from the photographers we will post them onto fb and here. It took a little to upload the results as I had to go into the backup units to find a few "missing" times. Mainly due to not being read out at the end or being read out at the wrong station. We will mark this clearer next time but in Ourimbah we are very limited with space. It only affected a handfull of riders so we are very happy with the timing system. We will also review the registration process in the morning and either streamline it or have rego open on the day before as well. It took a while as all chips were tested so they are connected to the correct name. Only then could we be sure that every number is entered correctly.

For us the race was a huge success and we look forward to the rest of the Enduro season.

scblack

Leucocholic
Woohoo - 164th...

That will do me - no broken bones and didn't come last...

Great event - keen for kempsey!
SNAP! I am 164th too. Good riding mate.

i wish they had details of what bike everyone was riding to compare times with the bikes. That'd make some interesting comparisons.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
SNAP! I am 164th too. Good riding mate.

i wish they had details of what bike everyone was riding to compare times with the bikes. That'd make some interesting comparisons.
Yeah I was thinking of this. I suppose we could do it in a thread. Would love to see a burners roll call or add it into the sponsor bit at these races in the future.

Maybe a thread to compare bikes and times.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, I can tell you that my 11th in Cat (Vets) and 71st Overall was done on a Pivot Mach 5.7C. If only my legs were up to the challenge last race! Next time Gadget, next time! ;)

loc81

Likes Dirt
Yep what a great day and quite interesting to see the vast mix of age, sex and riding discipline out giving it their all.
Nice to put some faces to RB names like foxpuppet and suchislife.
Although there was only 5 of us hard-tailers, I'm chuffed that you saw enough interest to spend your time and money on the race- I'm aiming to do the whole series and hope that more HTers sign up so spread the word folks!
Plenty of shuttles- awesome to get those practice recon rides in. Rego line up complaints? Meh, that's no biggie.
Can't wait to see all the photos!
Thanks Rocky Trail for all the organising- tip of the cap to you!
Cheers, Loc

I'm spreading the word loc81, but I tell you what the first time going doing cdb made me pretty nervous. Now I understand the meaning of arm pump haha