Rotorburn Strava club created

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Strava question for all you experts out there.
I am currently a member of one club on strava so I am guessing all the kms I accumulate are added to that clubs total kms. If I join a second club (eg. rotorburn) does that mean all the kms I accumulate are added to both clubs or will I have the choice of adding them to one or the other?
From what I can see (I'm a member of about 4 various groups etc) it just counts your totals to all the various club totals / leaderboards etc. I think (from memory - it was a while ago) if you join any of the various strava club based competitions it will ask you for a club.

Bit buggy at times but they seem to get things sorted quickish... the latest iPhone app works _much_ better than the previous one. Still not sure I'd use an iphone to track my rides but interesting nonetheless. They also seem to have improved the section to find previous rides a bit - look under the 'training' tab to get a view thats more like the Garmin connect view :)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apologies if this has already been answered in here, but in Strava, what does VAM stand for?

varge

Squid
VAM measures your Vertical Ascent in Meters/hour – it measures how quickly you are traveling upward. VAM is useful for comparing your effort on different hills and segments, and is used by both cyclists and runners. To get a high VAM score, grades between 6-10% generally present the best opportunity to ascend quickly, as they are steep enough to avoid wind, and gradual enough to allow unrestricted motion.

MJG

Likes Dirt
VAM measures your Vertical Ascent in Meters/hour – it measures how quickly you are traveling upward. VAM is useful for comparing your effort on different hills and segments, and is used by both cyclists and runners. To get a high VAM score, grades between 6-10% generally present the best opportunity to ascend quickly, as they are steep enough to avoid wind, and gradual enough to allow unrestricted motion.
This wikipedia article gives you even more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_Ascended,_Metres_per_hour

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool. Thanks for that. I got a figure of 1018 on one of my climbs and didn't know what it meant. I had just created the segment on my regular xc ride. It did tell me it was a category 4 climb though.

edit...and after all that, I found the little ? next to the VAM header which explained everything...d'oh.

varge

Squid
I'm becoming a fan of the segment explore feature.

Little bits and pieces pop up that I didn't know exist, including climbs that can be used for sprints along the YY.

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a ride yesterday with the intention of riding some segments which others had made. I already knew the trails, but it's cool to compare times.

Last edited:

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After many attempts I've decided the strava app for Android is rubbish. I can be in the middle of a paddock with a clear sky and no trees in sight and it just won't pick up any satelites, I switch to my tracks or Google maps and it works. I've tried uninstalling and installing a couple of times and it works for about 4 or 5 rides then stopped working again. sort of sucks as the website is pretty good and it was so much easier to send the ride straight from the phone instead of pulling the file off my mainnav and then uploading to strava.
Has anyone used the garmin fit app yet? does it talk with strava through the garmin comunicator? Or is it worth putting the .99c towards a edge 200 or 500?

Sent from my HTC Desire S

icarus_m

Likes Bikes
Also on Android, I've had Strava die on me quite a few times mid ride. Very annoying when you've hammered out a ride at your max to find that strava has nothing more than the first few kms.
I've since taken to recording my rides using the 'My Tracks' app which seems to be very robust, and then uploading the my tracks file to strava. Same end result with less chance of losing data.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I'm becoming a fan of the segment explore feature.

Little bits and pieces pop up that I didn't know exist, including climbs that can be used for sprints along the YY.
Yeah - second this... was staying at Mollymook over New Years and it was quite handy to jump on and see what segments are around the place... then follow the links to see how the person matched them up into a ride. Found some amazing tracks this way.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Strave v Sportstacker?

Hi all, having recently upgraded to iphone Ive now discovered ride tracking and have used both Strava and ST, with ST its easy to lock out the device so it doesnt accidentally stop the ride at some random point, I havent seen where I can do that with Strava, any hints?

They are both cool apps, and both strong in different areas, and while I know this is a Strava thread was wondering if anybody else out there has tried ST and your thoughts?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi there,

I just started using ST and find it better than Endomondo which is what I used to date. ST easily has the best 'on phone' and web functionality I've seen ( and I've tried a lot of them), and you can look up rides others have done in the area. What it doesn't have is the segment function so I import into Strava. A bit of effort but easily done. The segment part is the only bit it's missing IMHO but it's just a much better app than Strava.

Cheers

Coaster

struggles

Likes Dirt
Yeah - second this... was staying at Mollymook over New Years and it was quite handy to jump on and see what segments are around the place... then follow the links to see how the person matched them up into a ride. Found some amazing tracks this way.
I try and segment whole sections of my rides so they are easy to find.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Joined up and joined the rotorburn club and ended up with a QOM straight up (gotta be a mistake, am sure it will rectify itself come May when the triathletes roll into town). Loving the segments - definitely gives a bit more motivation to go hard on various rides. Using my trusty old Garmin 305

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Joined up and joined the rotorburn club and ended up with a QOM straight up (gotta be a mistake, am sure it will rectify itself come May when the triathletes roll into town). Loving the segments - definitely gives a bit more motivation to go hard on various rides. Using my trusty old Garmin 305
It gets a little addictive. Well done on the QOM.:clap2:

Still on strava, what's the go with the timing. The screen on my iphone says for example, 1:27:12 when I stop the ride, but after it uploads, it says something like 1:28:52. WTF? I know I wasn't stopped for that long, maybe 15 seconds all up or thereabouts.

Got two KOM's today, but alas, I only knocked myself off the perch.

doosh

Likes Bikes
Joined. I don't have a smart phone so I'll have to borrow the mrs' one, or use an old GPS data logger I have lying around and upload the file. I'm a bit nerdy when it comes to logging bushwalks, 4wd trips etc so this will be awesome and depressing at the same time.

Depressing to see that the monster hill I climbed was only an elevation change of 15 metres. And no doubt seeing myself at the bottom of the leaderboard for the Youies tracks.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Can you send a complete ride from strava to your garmin unit, like you can on garmin connect?
I dont think you can. You can export your activity to a .gpx (but its already in your unit's history) and then copy to the device, but not anyone elses activity. The Strava App on a smart phone may allow this, but not from the website to a gps.

Does strava work with non Garmin gps? Will Magellan and Bryton units still connect and upload activities?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
I think garmin is the only one that uploads direct, others have to download to gpx then upload from the gpx to strava