Sam Hill signed with CRC Nukeproof for 2013

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Sam will be fast no matter what bike he is on as long as the setup is to his style/liking. The Demo was/IS a sick rig though and will still sell amazingly well. Now a smaller bike mfg contender has a chance to shake it up... and with Hill in R&D with them it will be great. i always felt this way about F1 drivers like schumacher... if your always in the fastest cars (ferrrari late 90's early 00's) how will you know if it's more the driver or the machine. start riding/driving with a smaller less known team and really prove your the best!

Last edited:

Sic

Likes Dirt
Why would Hill have to give up his personal sponsors to join CRC? You dont think CRC would make some concessions to get a rider of his calibre?

I think its safe to say that we will be seeing Hill aboard a SRAM equipped Nukeproof frame next year in TLD gear.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
CRC pretty much sells every brand he is on, except monster... So I don't see why he would have to drop any... Especially TLD who has been with forever!

Smythie

Likes Bikes
Sam will be fast no matter what bike he is on as long as the setup is to his style/liking. The Demo was/IS a sick rig though and will still sell amazingly well. Now a smaller bike mfg contender has a chance to shake it up... and with Hill in R&D with them it will be great. i always felt this way about F1 drivers like schumacher... if your always in the fastest cars (ferrrari late 90's early 00's) how will you know if it's more the driver or the machine. start riding/driving with a smaller less known team and really prove your the best!

Dude, without going off topic; that is exactly what Schumacher did. He left Benetton who were the fastest and with whom he had won 2 championships, for Ferrari who at the time where at best a midfield team. He then set about turning that team into winners. He did admittedly take a few key engineers with him to Ferrari. Just like Rossi did when he went to Yamaha.

And I reckon Sam Hill could even go better now that he is off the Demo. I don't reckon it ever suited his style. The FSR is too hard to pedal. Nice and plush but not a good pedaler, and that is what Hill needs.

P.

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
I think its the best move he could have made!!!
Other than his own team!!!
I think he would have been the 2nd rider for SPEC this year as Troy Brosnan will be riding for no1!!!

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Also Joe Smith and Matt Simmonds are fast riders both finished in the top 10 at fort bill last year and Matt finished with an overall of 18th not bad at all, once they get a new tweaked frame from Sams input maybe even some Blackbox love and have Sam to do runs with and learn from they could be the top 10 riders by seasons end.

I think this is a move that will get good results for the team and good results in sales a win win for CRC
Only get Black box if you have podiumed in a world cup or world champs I think so Sam would be the only one with black box loving.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Team CRC want to win. I assume that Sam still wants to win. The Nukeproof is a proven winner. How is this bad news?
Im with rone here nothing wrong with going crc

Why are they not seen as bigger players Id put that down to lower named riders, they have two great riders on board but with hill, gwin, minnaar, hannah atherton etc around they are over shadowed. manufactures are always about improving the bikes and being up there, id figure given CRC's lower results over the year they will be more dedicated than the higher brands which could coast a little more (not that I am saying they coast) but sometimes being at the top can reduce your motivation a little and make you lose that chasing drive.

Hill is not a rider who needs to scrap together a sponsorship ride, he obviously chose CRC because he felt like they have something to offer him in terms of winning, I wouldn't be questioning hill on that one.

The demo was a poor bike when sam first signed up and not only did he make it work but they worked to bring out the current demo, the nukeproof bike is way better than what the demo was when he signed, Maybe being more of a underdog and less in the spot light of specialized hill might actually drop some pressure and perform better.

Majority if not all the bikes on the circuit are capable of winning.

breathing some fresh life into hills racing career can only do him good, his an amazing rider who has had some bad injury luck the last few seasons likewise he does well on what ever bike he is on, the demo is very different from the IH. These wc riders are true riders they can win on any rig with good geo and decent design.

I hoping he has a killer year and we see the domination we saw in 07 from him, Iv no doubt his got that crazy on the limit sam in him.

p.s Id love to see sic mick smash this season

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
Uckin hell...theres nothing to a bike...don't compare it to f1, where there's so much physics in developing those cars to the rules at the time.
What is hill and jay-z and tupac gonna wipe there ball sweat on the bike and something magic happen.

It's a few angle of frame moulded/welded.
Bikes are bikes these days. An advantage is having access to the black box truck to run different suspension setups. Its mostly rider that counts.

Hope he wins though

morticus

Likes Dirt
Unless im missing something, isn't DH world cup different to F1, supercross, V8, Nascar etc. because of the bikes? There are a ton of different frame designs, suspension set ups, components and such. All of these companies bring their own designs ( and their collective R&D ) to the table, and hope they have the right pilot to get their rig to the bottom of the hill fastest. Have a look at GP bikes, Indy cars... they all look the same but have different paint schemes. Given the 3 or so main suspension designs, these bikes are vastly different except for maybe head angles, bottom bracket height, and components.

btw, there might be some correlation with Troy and Aaron hanging out a lot. Guessing Gwin has smashed a few Hills (pardon the pun) on the carbon demo. Maybe sam will get a lot of credit should Gwin get onboard his lovechild and and own everyone. Best of luck to Sam though, i hope he can find some of the speed and bullshit line choice that he has shown in the past aboard his new steed.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
CRC pretty much sells every brand he is on, except monster... So I don't see why he would have to drop any... Especially TLD who has been with forever!
Besides the energy drink, what else do monster produce?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Monster+energy

I read Sam's column in the latest [R]evolution mag, he had to actually work a manual labour job with his dad this year, now coming from a fellow west aussie, mind you Sam has a child and I thank god don't, I can feel his pain on this working caper... I guess the dollars where not there for what ever reason and an offer has been made that he couldn't refuse. As with any physically demanding sport your years are limited so you need to bank as many dollars as possible and I'm sure that's what is number one on Sam's mind being a new dad, plus I wouldn't be surprised if he is thinking about a fresh team with a fresh start, a come back, starting over with the same goal in mind.

Go hard Sam !

morticus

Likes Dirt

I read Sam's column in the latest [R]evolution mag, he had to actually work a manual labour job with his dad this year, now coming from a fellow west aussie, mind you Sam has a child and I thank god don't, I can feel his pain on this working caper... I guess the dollars where not there for what ever reason and an offer has been made that he couldn't refuse. As with any physically demanding sport your years are limited so you need to bank as many dollars as possible and I'm sure that's what is number one on Sam's mind being a new dad, plus I wouldn't be surprised if he is thinking about a fresh team with a fresh start, a come back, starting over with the same goal in mind.

Go hard Sam !
From what i read, he HAS been working with his old man. Nowhere did it state that he HAD to. Shit, i'd work with my old man if i had that much time off, especially if working on my own trade.

peanut

Likes Dirt

Go hard Sam !
I recall brendan mentioned in an interview that he was contracted to race world cups, if he didn't race he didn't get paid.This was at the time of his injury's.( not sure if that referred to all his sponsors or just specialized)
So i guess you could assume sam was in the same boat, it may have been a few lean years financially during his injury's if the cheques were few and far between?. maybe he's moving onto a better structure as far as a reliable income and a bike he believes he can win on, or help develop into a bike he can win on..
I recall an interview with gee atherton on moving to GT, the move was primarily focused on "can i win on the bike" when they were testing the fury, if he didn't think he could, he wasn't going to sign on the dotted line.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Either way, Sam and his Dad both had to work so there isn't enough coin being generated from riding bikes...

If I had any sort of skill to bring in the big $$$ like being a sporting identity, then my Dad wouldn't be laying gas pipelines to earn a living, I would be repaying him for playing his role in raising me and supporting me to go and do so !

Just like what Sam would be thinking now he is a dedicated father, which I also read has been his number 1 focus...

Money talks !

rb baby

Likes Dirt
"( not sure if that referred to all his sponsors or just specialized)"

I'm far from an expert but I would have to think that Speciallized being his biggest sponsor would be paying him the most and if he hasn't been performing ie, injured and wining races then they wouldn't have been paying as much perhaps in the the bonus side of the contract and maybe his retainer wasn't as flash as a "Rock Star" would have become accustomed too...?

Champagne on a goon budget, what ever, GO HARD SAM !

driftking

Wheel size expert
On the money note why is it that dh is not generating the same wages, Is it purely because it doesn't generate revenue due to lower spectators etc which in turn results in lower wages.

Given and of course I amy be bias but dh riding is in my opinion one of the most involved sports of our time in terms of how many different aspects and varribles it has that each athletes needs to deal with and develop. most have major areas with minor needs but dh sort of you cant really be slack in any area. on top add all the uncertainty and ever changing condition and the limited control of external factors, we don't have a flat track or one line and everyone does not race in the same conditions.

I get pissed about the acknowledgement factor most though. Sam and troy win worlds and jnrs in stead I hear about a random aussie golfer who made the top 70 cut in golf......hmmm. Sure acknowledge the golfer but were is the coverage for dh. We didn't get any advertising either when we had worlds in Canberra though road riding is always advertised.
is it a government support, overall society support, the UCI or just money speaking here what is the deal with the under paid and under acknowledged sport of MTB.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
I feel it's a relatively unknown sport opposed to golf or cycling.

The same as anytime I mention going for a ride on my bike, everyone that does not know what I'm into automatically replies with a dirt bike?

Or at least that's the way it is in WA.