School Drug Tests, opinions?

|Matt|

Banned
They said they will be testing the kids twice a year. How long do drugs traces stay in your system?
Depends what you take.

Common drugs such as:
Marijuana can take up to 5 days, Cocaine up to 2 days, Heroin up to 2 days and Ecstasy up to 5 days.

Health last year ;)

I remember hearing a while ago that there was some test they could do to test if you had EVER done any kind of illicit substance for entering the Police academy, and if you had done it even once you could not get in :eek:

mpdowling

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What! sure drugs are a very serious topic, but how far will schools and educations go? Starting to test for what poeple do in their past times and what they do out of school. i'm strugeling to see how it is the schools business to see if the kids are doing these things outside of school! i'm sorry for not conveying my argument very well this just made me apauled! :mad:

zids

Likes Dirt
I think testing for illicit drugs is a good idea to reduce use, but testing for alcohol would be a pretty pointless excercise in my eyes.

I think Alcohol may be excluded, as in the news cast, they mention a mouth swab (the type used by police for road side testing). However, for roadside alcohol BAC testing a brethiliser is used.

Last edited:

robmundall

Banned
If schools are to be tested, should the same occur in workplaces?
Really I think it will only bring trouble, If kids want to experiment there going to do so, going to a counceller if they are court is not going to deteur(sp.) them.
It is just another invasion of privacy.

No alcohol will not come up.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide.

its not so much the fact that they are or arn't its the fact that its an invasion of your privacy. the school has NO right to force these things from you when you are not at school. i belive its the same at the workplace with the exceptions of certain jobs that should be tested due to the risk of death if they are. ie airline pilots

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
its not so much the fact that they are or arn't its the fact that its an invasion of your privacy. the school has NO right to force these things from you when you are not at school. i belive its the same at the workplace with the exceptions of certain jobs that should be tested due to the risk of death if they are. ie airline pilots
I'm sure just about every job runs a risk if the worker is under the influence of whatever. I'm all for it. If you havn't done anything wrong you've got nothing to hide.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Depends what you take.

Common drugs such as:
Marijuana can take up to 5 days, :
It can be detectable for up to 3 months in heavy users

I remember hearing a while ago that there was some test they could do to test if you had EVER done any kind of illicit substance for entering the Police academy, and if you had done it even once you could not get in :eek:
This is not true

If schools are to be tested, should the same occur in workplaces?
Drug test's occur regurlarly in workplaces now. At several places I have worked they perform random drug testing, and at places in Gladstone like the aluminium refinery, you have to blow in a blood alcohol tester everytime you enter the site to start your shift, as well as random drug tests.

But hell no, to school drug testing!:D There's going to be pretty poor attendance once their forced to send everyone home.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think thats a load of shit. If there was a way to do this, i'd like to see it.
Think of a 90 year old person testing positive to marijuana that he/she smoked while they were a teenager. It's just not going to happen.

The body doesn'ts top refreshing itself unless there's a problem, and with drugs, the body works to get rid of them.

Personally i think drug test shouldn't be conducted at schools. Well unless the testing is for performance enhancing substances (muscle growth for sports persons, or something to help learning/memory for exams.)
They don't really have the right... Good thing my schooling is nearly over, i love my illegal behaviour :) (first smiley i've ever posted!)

Down withthe idea drug testing in schools..!

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think every student should be subjected to drug testing. If you were suspected of it, perhaps then they should be subjected to it if it is in some way connected to school or school activities. If we start doing it in schools where do we draw the line? Should we then be able to test anyone that wants to live in Australia?

demo man

Used to be cool.
If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide.
That is looking at this on such a simplistic view though. oh yeah, and do me a favour - define wrong.

Testing for drugs is just another way society can shove a 'you must act this way' sort of testimony down kids throats. i know, and everyone in a high school knows, people who have shit home lives, bad relationships or something else, even small stuff, that makes them want to go against the rules in some way. It's not always full on rebelion or anything, just a bong in the afternoon or a joint and booze on a Fri/Sat night.

I also beleive the arguements that telling someone they can't do something makes them want to do it. this is just a reinforcement of that, along with invasions of privacy.

Look at the people this is actually going to effect though. EVERYONE. Honestly, almost everyone in high school does drugs at one stage or another, the smart kids even. It's part of growing up almost, learning about different experiences and all that.

I'm most worried about what it will do to the kids who are in real shit, and have almost no control over what they're up to and where their life is going. the ones youth centres are built for. it's hard enough keeping them in school as it is.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
If they're testing if a student was under the influence of drugs while they were at school I think that's fine. I could imagine a strip test like used in road-side testing in most states which detects recent ingestion of drugs. If it comes up positive the student could elect to have a blood test (more accurate and reliable). If they were testing if a student had had drugs in the last days, weeks or months than I think that goes too far.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
society can shove a 'you must act this way' sort of testimony down kids throats.
maybe you are not aware. but Australia is the largest consumer of drugs per capita.

i am for the testing, young kids aren't aware of the damage drugs do to a young and growing brain.
i've seen many kids falling to the "im old enough, can make my own decision" line. in the end, they go on anti-depressants, miss out on the fun and lead a life of crap.

it's just sad to see those things happen to young kids. it's the same case of Cigarettes having a COOL factor in the 70-80-90's, nowadays it's drugs.