School Drug Tests, opinions?

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
demo man said:
and are you for it? that's fucked up on so many levels.
Nope, not for it at all it's very, very stupid, luckily I'm a healthy little boy.

demo man said:
I recken you deserved to be punished for that one. (assuming you threw a plum at the principal's car, as i read it)
Well I guess punishment from my parents would have been fine but definitely not the school, I actually rolled the plum across the road and the tire flicked the plum up BTW this was in prep, making me 6 years old, after the car stopped I ran out the back of my house and grabbed a big stick, I had to be dragged to school the next day.

Last edited:

Topple's

Likes Bikes
Ok a couple of things. First i should say i am a teacher in the nsw public system.
1. The cost of this exercise is going to be huge and i think that the money could be far better spent on building resources for kids, not just school resources.
2. I am in favour of testing if it is testing for CURRENT influence. The weekend is the weekend and i agree that many kids will experiment once and this should not cost them too dearly. At the same time however, i also see the point that testing for any use may be a further discouragement for kids to try drugs, and i like that part.
3. If a kid is injured at school they are under our care. If they are drunk, high etc they should not be wasting our (staff and remaining students) time. If you want to do these things let your parents take care of you.
4.I understand that some people have terrible home lives and do these things to escape reality, BUT, i also see that the students who stay positive and look for a real world escape (ie learn to care for themselves and their siblings etc) go on to have much more pleasent lives after school. The extra strength of character is a much better asset.
5. Most (i said most) teachers who care are able to tell if a student has started to take drugs as there are clear changes in behaviour. This will in many cases give confirmation. At the moment if we saw a noticeable change in behaviour and rang a parent to say we suspect drugs, the parent would (95% of the time) be most unaccomodating.
6. It is good to see a few people saying parents need to take the responsibility. Too many people these days expect teachers to raise their kids. The ones who are active parents are very much appreciated. If a parent has a concern it is good to see them raise the issue with us in a joint venture.
My 2c.
Sorry if my typing is crap.
*EDIT* Note- just went back and read some replies again and thought i would remind people that school hours include traveling to and from school and basically anytime your wearing a school unifrom in public.

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I agree with the money issue, and believe it could be much better spent
i.e. spend it on free youth rehabilitation centres or something along those lines.

This would allow help for those who want it.

IMO we should help those who want to help themselves.

I am lucky to have mates at school who arent into drugs, and I am definately not into them, so I am speaking with limited knowledge of how drugs can affect people's lives (besides what I learn in health), but I still believe that people who want help should recieve it, rather than forcing it on those that don't.

my two cents.

Andrew.

tassiehardtail

Likes Bikes
Hmm seems kinda pointless

I can see that they oviously mean well but can't they give us a break. I'm sure the coppers have better things to occupy their time with.

Leave us alone

extreme_ride

Likes Bikes
twice a year.. only a retard wil get caught

I think they should only test the people they know do drugs excessively for example deros but then again what the hell will they care and there parents probably wont care either

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but it depends on the quality of the substance and how old/heavy and how used to the substance you are too.

A person who weighs 40KG and has never had the strong stuff before might have the stuff in their system for a month.
Actually in the case of many drugs, marijuana especially it is stored in your body fat, so the heavier you are the longer it can stay in your system.

So I guess your strongly (very strongly) against teachers/school checking students lunch boxes for un-healthy food etc and then students receiving a detention (or similiar) for having un-healthy food in there lunch box.
Everyone should be against that, its downright ludacris.

Me, being a smart ass etc absolutely hate, hate, hate when things like that happen, the school has NO authority over what you do outside of the school grounds/time and no reason to punish you for doing such outside school time/grounds, just like when I "accidently" threw a plum at the principles car, I got a week detention for doing that (which I didn't turn up to) after school out the front of my house.
I do however agree with you there, except possibly in the case where a student may have been involved in a violent crime eg; stabbing, rape, bashing etc. Simply because it is protecting other students from potential physical harm.

So if you exercise and use up your body fat for energy does that get rid of a percentage of it?
No, its not like going to the gym and burning calories, unless you could potentially lose most of your body fat in that time it isn't going to do anything - you stoner! ;)

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's been a LONG time since i weighed into one of these threads, and in that time many of the solid voices of reason i spent my time in happy, productive argument with seem to have left (ah johnny, we miss your 4 page rants), but lets look at few issues here.
first and foremost as far as i am concerned, there is a real issue as far as privacy goes.
not so much privacy perhaps, as much as personal and civil liberties.
the state has almost unlimited power to control the lives of compliant citizens if they aren't stopped. at all times look for what is called "the thin end of the wedge". at what point do you mark a line.
i know of a child (ok, not child per se, 14 yrs old) who was suspended for giving a couple of nurofen tablets to a freind of hers who had period cramps.
the official write up for it was "supplying drugs". for 2 nurofen.
2 weeks suspention, and a note in her school record. for 2 nurofen.
where is the line? and who is qualified to mark it for us?
and checking for healthy lunches? WTF? who decides, and why?
what happened to education and personal responsibility?
we as a society have decided to abdicate all personal responsibility in favour of a "mother knows best " policy, allowing the government to assume all responsibility for our lives.
if you want to think of a scary sitaution, try this. what happens if, after deciding that certain foods are so bad for you that they can be banned from your life, they decide that the best way to make you safe is to decide what you can do as a hobby or sport. how long does it take to decide that riding a mountain bike is just to dangerous for people under the age of consent? or perhaps it shouldn't be allowed at all so you are safe.
if you think this all an over reaction, have a think about some of the enlightened descitions the various governments have made for us recently.
and more importantly look at the things some of the retarded muppets running around our neighbourhoods have done for us. suing macdonalds for making them fat, suing brewerys for making them alcoholics, suing car sales yards for selling them cars that allow them to lose their licence for speeding, suing tabacco companies because they can't stop smoking. and that's just a tiny sampling of the cases brought, not in the states, but out here in australia.
and yet no-one stands up and says "yep, my fault. i did it. i ate shit and got fat. i drank too much and made myself an alcholic. i drove my car too fast like a dickhead and lost my licence. i started smoking, even though i knew the risks". it's easier and more soothing to the ego to blame everyone else.
and it's the same with schools and drugs.
it's not the schools responsibility to do this. it's the parents.
it's not the governments job, it's ours.
it's not his problem, it's YOURS!
i'm only partly joking when i say to people that the great sheep-like herd of society shouldn't be allowed to breed without test to make sure they are capable of raising anything other than bottom feeding baby factories. (and yes, thank you, i am well aware of the inherent contradiction in that view, and in the opinion expoused in the rest of the post, but maybe we need to start somewhere).
but the fact remains that people need to take responsibility for their own lives, and for their own actions.
no more people bleating that it wasn't them, it was the drugs. or the booze. or their parents. or society.
just them. have reasons, not excuses.
and it all starts with parents teaching their kids some personal responsibility and discipline. it all starts with parents educating their kids to be something other than eating, drinking, spawning jerks.
so less talk about drug testing kids, and more talk about beating some sense into parents. remember that what you do is your fault, not someone elses.

hmmm, now i remember why i didn't respond to many of these. i now have an overwhelming urge to try and sterilize most of the people i meet on a day to day basis......

Hopper

Likes Dirt
I'm in year 12, am at what could be said to be the one of the top private schools in Adelaide, I know lots of people in my year who use marijuana. I don't know of a singal incident where someone has been under the influence of drugs at school, excpet last years Year 12 speech night where a stoned year went up on stage and sat cross legged on the floor next to the headmaster.....

I personally think that everyone has the right to fuck themselves up as much as they want, I dont want to take that right from them, unless it harms another person. This however is a shady angle as where do we draw the line at harming another person. For this reason I am against the idea, education is a better deterrant. The only time the school should have a say in this problem is if someone is stoned at school, liek the year 12 from last year after his exams and at speech night.

As a question, the random driver drug tests, how do they work? How accurate are they and how long ago did you have to use the drug to be caught. What I am gettig nat is that if they only pick up someone who would be under the influence, then I don't mind those units being used in schools.

|Matt|

Banned
Im only in year 10, but as I don't know what direction I want to go in life, I do not really want someone coming in, interrupting my entire class and taking 10-20 minutes to test everyone. Even next year won't really matter that much, but in 08, if this happens I will not be happy. I do not want drug testing to fuck up my chances of getting an interesting, well paid job.

During lunchtime? Sure, go for it. During spares? Sure. Not during class. PLEASE.

Ska-quatch

Likes Dirt
the car testing machines picks up marijuana that has been smoked roughly 0.5 to an hour after a (single) spliff has been smoked, after that its pretty much crap unless you had a badly rolled spliff and had managed to get leaf in your teeth or something silly, while marijuana can be picked up months after by other tests, the police drugs test is fairly limited. (Infomation gathered by talking to an off duty policeman.)

robmundall

Banned
twice a year.. only a retard wil get caught
Well if you are saying that it will be hard to get caught because it is only done twice.
Marijuana stays in the system for 3months.
That means for 1/2 of the year you have to be drug free.
It would not be that hard.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I think it has its good and bad points

PRO
> Kids are too young to make informed decisions and fall into peer pressure too easy. They shouldn't really go the drug route, it never ends up well
> Stunts mental development
> Many others i could list

AGAINST
> Invasion of privacy
> What you do outside of school should be between you and your parents, not you and the school.

Basically, i feel its a push by parents (probably the PNC) for the school to do their job for them. The majority of parents these days seem too lazy, apathetic or busy to raise kids properly and are happy for schools to do these kinds of things so they don't have too.

Of course, this is a function of todays society with the pressure of owning your own home, needing to work long hours = no time with the kids, pressure for kids to have to do well or risk fucking up there entire lives (or so they are told) etc etc etc

These kinds of things can't be looked at without looking at the wider social issues, its just one little peice of the jigsaw.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Why not make teachers, principals, school cleaners, the weirdo who maintains the school grounds take it too?

Drug tests in any place are bad news.

What should schools care about what happens outside of school? That is the parent's responsibility or if the student is old enough their responsibility.

Why should the school care that you smoke pot in the privacy of your own home with your parent consent? Its a completely different story about using the drugs at school or being under the influence of drugs.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
They can fuck themselves as far as i'm concerned. If they turned up at my school tomorrow i'd quite simply refuse to be tested. Its not that i have anything to hide - i dont do illicit drugs - but the school (somewhere i attend 9-5 ever day) has no right to medically test my body for drug use. That simple. I respect my rights thankyou.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Before I post this, I'm going to say I'm goign to raise some controversial points. So if you dont agree with me, then dont be an asshole in response.

I am currently in year 11, and I smoke marijuana and drink regularly. I enjoy it, and I feel that in no way is it affecting my academic stature.

If they introduce drug testing, simply put, I am going to drop out of school and get an apprenticeship. I think many users carry the same opinion. Schools have no right to intrude on life outside of school hours.

Many people also say that school students are to young to make decisions. I really fucking hate people telling me that. If you are one of these people, I dont need YOU, a random intrusive prick telling, telling ME how to live my life.

If I'm not affecting you, and not costing you anything, why is it any of your buisness, why do you care.

As for the education side of drug use, we HAVE been educated, for 4 years, we have education on drugs, so I beleive we do have the knowledge to formulate an opinion as to whether or not we should use drugs.

Simple, drug tests in schools and many students will leave.

Dont flame me for using, I've heard it before.

rant over

Topple's

Likes Bikes
Before I post this, I'm going to say I'm goign to raise some controversial points. So if you dont agree with me, then dont be an asshole in response.

I am currently in year 11, and I smoke marijuana and drink regularly. I enjoy it, and I feel that in no way is it affecting my academic stature.

If they introduce drug testing, simply put, I am going to drop out of school and get an apprenticeship. I think many users carry the same opinion. Schools have no right to intrude on life outside of school hours.

Many people also say that school students are to young to make decisions. I really fucking hate people telling me that. If you are one of these people, I dont need YOU, a random intrusive prick telling, telling ME how to live my life.

If I'm not affecting you, and not costing you anything, why is it any of your buisness, why do you care.

As for the education side of drug use, we HAVE been educated, for 4 years, we have education on drugs, so I beleive we do have the knowledge to formulate an opinion as to whether or not we should use drugs.

Simple, drug tests in schools and many students will leave.

Dont flame me for using, I've heard it before.

rant over
Well ranted, and i have to agree in that yes it is your decision and yes you (should) have had plenty of education about drugs (by year 10). Any teacher should not be imposing their beliefs on you but providing the reasons/background as to why people have these beliefs. I have no problem with people saying what they believe to students just as long as they dont try to force them to think the same way.
Can i ask 1 question though, have you ever used or been effected while at school?

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Never, and I dont plan to. I come to school to learn, and I know drugs will hinder that.

Appreciate your reply.
Thanks

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
enjoi said:
Agree. Like i said, it should be between you and your parents, but there are pros and cons for everything.

But no offence, you would serioulsy drop out of school so you could continue smoking pot?

enjoi said:
Better get used to it champ. People will be telling you what to do with your life until the day you die (your mum, your wife, the government, the bank, the nurse in the nursing home). You just need to ignore it, not get your back up about it :D

If you want to smoke and drink then go ahead and do it, no one is going to stop you.

enjoi

Likes Bikes

But no offence, you would serioulsy drop out of school so you could continue smoking pot?
Thinking of dropping out anyway, so probably yes, sad as it sounds. That would probably just be the last small thing that makes me dislike school so much.