Scott 24 Hr 2012

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
What.. no event post mortem yet? What's happening to Rotorburn if there's nothing posted 24 hours after the Scott finishes? In fact seemed quiet not just on rotorburn but also on the ground, definitely felt like entries were light on this year and there were fewer riders out on course. I know that a few DNS teams are listed in the results but just in general it feels like the past two years of the Scott24 have been smaller than previous.

Well in terms of this year's race, there were good points and bad points. The usual set up was there, facilities, rego, etc were all in top form. We arrived a day earlier to check out the course and set up camp rather than the usual Friday night mayhem that we're used to. The course on Friday had some water around but in general was pretty good and a solid surface even where puddles existed. However it was pretty obvious that parts of the blue lap were going to get muddy pretty quickly we just didn't realise how bad they would get.

I scored first lap for our team of 4 and the start was an absolute shambles, the announcer was yelling at the blue lap rider about where they needed to be (using Canberra suburbs as reference points is useless for out of towners by the way) but said nothing about solos and red lap team riders. We asked the announcer and she said someone should be over there, but no one seemed to know what was going on. In the end we just did an previous years and lined the bikes up after the transition line and the runners lined up at some spot we just decided looked good. From there we could hear nothing so had no idea what we were doing or whether the solos had started. In fact we were so lost when the gun went off we didn't start running for about 30 seconds... seemed like all attention was on the blue lap start. Anyway apart from that the start seemed to go ok, red lap had a lot less people than I remembered from previous years - I think teams of 4 are out of vogue. Traffic was not bad at all for me and I was about mid field.

Red lap itself was the usual but with a diversion off luge and onto the downhill track. That was a bit odd, in places it didn't flow as they'd cordoned off anything that might end up with an ambulance being needed so there were some contrived lines but overall it was still a fun descent. During the race the start of the red lap (Brittle Gums) got pretty soggy and muddy, at night it became hard to ride as big mud ruts formed and it was hard to see a line through the muck in the dark. But once on the climb the track held up pretty well, and the decent stayed pretty much dry.

The blue lap however got bad pretty quickly, my first lap on it was about 4 hours in and everything was still rideable but blackberry climb was getting boggy and out the back near that damn was mush. From there it got worse and worse, by my lap just before midnight blackberry climb had unrideable sections, slant six was sloppy, the end of willow link was mush, the bit near the damn basically ate my bike and was a 50m slog on foot through ankle deep mud, party line held up ok but ranbdom bit of other tracks were getting boggy as the night went on. Apparently after this lap they diverted the worst bit but I was already over it, I got back to camp and refused to go out on blue again. Why they didn't divert earlier is a mystery, I know they were out there shoveling dirt onto blackberry climb and slant six trying to keep it rideable.

Well down to CORC for having a bike wash set up, you know it's muddy when people line up to wash their bikes after 2am laps.... brrrr The showers and toilets etc were all great as usual. Overall I think the tracks were good although perhaps not as good as previous years, I know they were rerouted to avoid the issues of cars crossing the track at race finish but I love having the track coming through camp and the descent down old Duffy or what ever it was called was sadly missed this year. When the track goes through camp people line the track and cheer the riders on, it's great for both riders and campers... not having that changed the feel of camp, and meant we felt detached from the race - we usually love seeing the solos come through and cheering them on while we wait for our next lap.

Anyway overall good event as usual from CORC, pity numbers seemed down and unfortunate about the weather.

Saw a few ambulances come in so I hope no one was too badly injured.

GeorgeT

Likes Bikes
... and the start was an absolute shambles, the announcer was yelling at the blue lap rider about where they needed to be (using Canberra suburbs as reference points is useless for out of towners by the way) but said nothing about solos and red lap team riders.
It was quite funny when the announcer kept repeating "your bike has to be on the other side of me". With 1000 people scrambling around and PA speakers blaring from all angles no one had any idea where she was standing so no one knew where the queue started. Eventually she mentioned an identifiable spot and everyone had to move back down the track.

Anyway apart from that the start seemed to go ok, red lap had a lot less people than I remembered from previous years - I think teams of 4 are out of vogue.
6 is the new 4 :) It would be interesting to see if the entry stats have changed. I get the feeling that increasingly people are enjoying the social side of 24hr (rather than hard core racing) and are happy to cruise in a team of 6 when they might previously have gone hard in a 4. True for me and mates at least. There has also been such a proliferation of mtb events. What was iconic a few years ago is fairly routine now.

I thought the course was pretty good. Can't do much about the mud other than put in diversions where it gets really bad. There was a lot of track that drained so well that you would be struggling to tell that it had been raining. There was 50mm or so of rain on Wednesday or Thursday. A few years ago that would have been disastrous but it stands up fairly well now.

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
and are happy to cruise in a team of 6 when they might previously have gone hard in a 4. True for me and mates at least.
Or - is it that people want to go harder and shorter in a 6 and have more rest than going long and lonely in a 4....

its certainly the former for us. We want to go faster and have more of a break in between For the social.

frame

Squid
scott 24

Top ride as always. Can't help the weather. Could have been a lot worse.
Had a ball. But did mainly red laps :) Still a fantastic venue. Even more
grass and trees now.

Buggergrips

Likes Dirt
did it in a pair. Had a fantastic time.

I liked the course, the mud gave it character, once you'd done the first half of the blue it cleared up, and the red was ace fun.

destroyed my drivetrain in the mud and rear wheel smashing into rocks on the downs when I was tired.

and watching the fast guys go past was amazing! that Jason English isn't human.

rory breaker

Cannon Fodder
I've gotta say, I think CORC do a top job of the holding the SCOTT.

It was great to see that 'car camping' is now available, its taken a while, maybe too longm, but it shows corc are listening.

There seems to be a downward trend in participation, noticeable this year by how few folk were on the track to talk too while riding. I think its because of a few things:-
The novelty is over for some
Some realise that it is hard work
There are other 24hr races which folk prefer
Cost.

I rode solo and did quite a few laps, and I'm not complaining about the mud. Given the amount of rain in the days leading up to the event the course held up amazingly.
There would have been 50m max which was couldn't be ridden, over the length of the course this is quite something.

Look at Mountain Mayhem in the UK this year for a comparison, its probably the biggest 24hr race in the world (yes bigger than the Scott) and you'll see what happens when rain hits a course which isnt built for it (the course at mountain mayhem is not purpose built like Stromlo, and is largely off-limits to bikes) -
photos like https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mountain+mayhem+2012+photos&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cUj&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vul7UNzLHMLpiAeUvoCoCA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=950

See ya

Roasted Chicken

Likes Bikes
This was the third year I have been to the Scott 24, and I must say it did seem a little quieter. Not heaps but noticable. Transition definitely got quiet overnight but maybe I had forgotten from previous years thats what happens. I agree with others there didn't seem to be as many people out on course overnight, whether they were doing the smart thing and resting up or there were more teams of 6 and less of 4 I don't know. The tracks did turn to slop in some parts as the race went on, but at the same time you could ride through the middle of most sections and it was hardpack underneath. I was washing my bike after every Blue lap as well and I think in hindsight it was a wise choice not to replace my BB pre race as it is probably pretty much trashed now.
Once the sun came out in the morning the tracks dried out a bit and had plenty of grip where needed. I must say everyone out on track was pretty friendly, I didn't see or experience any agression which is always one of the more pleasant aspects of the Scott.

Buggergrips

Likes Dirt
once the sun came up in the morning, the tracks filled up pretty quickly. Nothing like getting overtaken by well rested spotlessly clean guys to cheer you up at 7am.

First time solo rider

I thought the team at Corc did a great job, being my first foray into the 24hr solo world I thought it was a wonderful experience and already planning the next. The riders on track were rather courteous whenever they went past, or maybe that was just me taking a break so I could get a rest! Whilst the tracks were average in part I didn't have to once walk through a section.

I was surprised by the amount of medical attention required out on site. Hope all those that required attention are back to full health soon.

The only downfall were our support crew who kept us up Friday night till 3am drinking! They were rather quiet Saturday night though!

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
I don't know why the blue course didn't go up missing link like it has in the past - I guess it wasn't that popular given it is techy but for those who can't ride it beats walking through the dam mud. It could have been rerouted to run up there when it was clear it was going to be a muddy course. Many teams had pulled the plug before they rerouted the blue section.

Red course was great - although rode the beginners track this week and it has dried up but it is no longer a beginners track.

CORC put on a good event but yes numbers were down. I think CORC need to do something different. How about a 12 hour event followed by a couple of live bands on the crit track afterwards. Could have timed segments for fastest climb AND descent - a combination of both always ends up being the fastest rider.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
once the sun came up in the morning, the tracks filled up pretty quickly. Nothing like getting overtaken by well rested spotlessly clean guys to cheer you up at 7am.
Yeah that's true! First time solo here and it was nice to have the company back on track after the quiet of 2-6am, but a shock to realise how much I'd slowed down since midnight...

... being my first foray into the 24hr solo world ... Whilst the tracks were average in part I didn't have to once walk through a section.
Geez I feel slack now! Hang on did you stop? Surely bits of Blackberry climb at 3am were a walking affair unless you had elite legs or a team to break it up? I did 20 laps so 10 Blues and I reckon I walked bit(s) of at least half of them. Not that I'm complaining - just surprised!

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Well gotta say that after having a severe attack from the sleep monsters (I think aided by a bout of the dreaded lurgi the week before), out on the Blue lap around 4am, the decision to pull the plug after 16.5 hours was definitely made easier by the condition of a couple of sections of the track. In the grand scheme of things though I think the majority of the course was fine, it's just those sloppy sections seemd a lot longer when one is losing the battle going on your head to keep going.

bt100

Likes Dirt
Podium Photos

Does anyone know who was doing the podium photos. There was a guy taking them and I am after the Male 6's 40+. I have contacted sportograf and it wasn't them as they didn't take any.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know who was doing the podium photos. There was a guy taking them and I am after the Male 6's 40+. I have contacted sportograf and it wasn't them as they didn't take any.
I almost certainly know someone (Newy Cogheads) who will have a copy of that podium photo, PM me your email address and I'll see if I can get you copy.