scott 24hr 2008

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
We camped up at the overflow site as we got there late in the arvo friday and no sites suitable for the camper trailer.. Was an awesome place overlooking the main area but with no toilets it was a bit of a joke.
You can't win ;)

Last year, we had that area as a main campsite and provided it with its own water tanker and Rows-a-Loo semi trailer toilet block - and the Rows-a-Loo guy reported that hardly anyone used those toilets!

Might be a bit hard to see in this photo, but there were 9 empty 10m x 10m trailer campsites in the area behind the pavilion at 0200 on Sunday morning when the photo was taken, 3 with power available to your camper :)

Conster

Squid
Ambo @ top of Red Lap around midnight

hey all,

anybody know what happened around midnight at the top of the downhill, I was about 2kms from the top and saw an ambo with lights flashing in the distance, sure enough I get to the top near that caravan that marked the start of the proper downhill and there's marshalls everywhere telling me to SLOW RIGHT DOWN....

then directing me to some newly taped-off area of what looked like dis-used single-track which eventually hooked-up with the DH ridge-line

I heard rumours that some chick broke a collar-bone..anybody know what happened?

there were 9 empty 10m x 10m trailer campsites in the area behind the pavilion at 0200 on Sunday morning when the photo was taken, 3 with power available to your camper :)
how much do you charge for those though?

hey all,

anybody know what happened around midnight at the top of the downhill, I was about 2kms from the top and saw an ambo with lights flashing in the distance, sure enough I get to the top near that caravan that marked the start of the proper downhill and there's marshalls everywhere telling me to SLOW RIGHT DOWN....

then directing me to some newly taped-off area of what looked like dis-used single-track which eventually hooked-up with the DH ridge-line

I heard rumours that some chick broke a collar-bone..anybody know what happened?
Already been discussed in this thread.

morgs

morgs
hey all,

To explain for the last time...a female rider crashed after the right hand sweeper near the top of Skyline. To avoid having to stop the race I cut in the old Nationals XC climb which had been covered up 18 months ago or so and linked it back to Skyline via the bottom of the Blue Sky trail. We ran riders down there for probably no longer than 15 minutes before the ambos got the rider out on a stretcher and we could reopen the course. So no race stoppage occured.

If you were told to slow down then it was for a reason, when there's half a dozen marshalls saying the same thing you'd think people would get the message, but there's always idiots who won't. Same goes for when the St Johns guys were triaging her on the track, we asked riders to stop and dismount to walk past her then they could get back on their bikes, the number of people who didn't want to get off their bikes to walk past an injured fellow competitor was just ridiculous.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
... the number of people who didn't want to get off their bikes to walk past an injured fellow competitor was just ridiculous.
I'll say - I must have been riding past pretty soon after it happened (St Johns people were there & marshals saying rider down + dismount). Some "pro" rider behind me yells out "can I get past????" as if it's a major inconvenience. I was very close to showing him the shortcut off the edge of the cliff....

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I'll say - I must have been riding past pretty soon after it happened (St Johns people were there & marshals saying rider down + dismount). Some "pro" rider behind me yells out "can I get past????" as if it's a major inconvenience. I was very close to showing him the shortcut off the edge of the cliff....
I completely admit to not dismounting straight away, and yeah I was yelled at, and of course i did then get off and push past. I definitely felt like a cock for the rest of that red lap, and was constantly thinking about the rider down, and at the possibility of coming unstuck myself at speed on the red lap at night.

I don't know what I was thinking to be honest, i stopped up, and yeah just thought it'd be easier to pass coasting with one foot down - I think maybe because i thought it was so narrow that would be the better way to get past.

I was wrong and apologise. Hope shes ok.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
there were 9 empty 10m x 10m trailer campsites in the area behind the pavilion at 0200 on Sunday morning when the photo was taken, 3 with power available to your camper :)
Yeah I noticed that late saturday. The guys on the gate told us that area was only for solo's and pairs when we arrived, my first time at the event so I'll know better next time. I'm keen to bring the kiddies along next time, they would love it.

However, that overflow site was perfect apart from no dunnies.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Solos needed a dunny

Just a bit of feedback here ('cause I know corc people hang out here).
Solo riders were VERY well looked after for the entire event.
They had their own charging tent, many had a site reserved for them and the second "feed" tent was a good idea.

Just two things...

1. The second feed tent needed a light, tables, and perhaps a chair or three.
2. Solo riders needed a porta loo. I've been told that one can't be placed on the grass, and that's fine, but I'm sure there could have been another spot.
Jess had to use the pavilion toilets a number of times which was a bit of a worry. Thanks to all those that let her to the front of the line.

Thanks CORC, Russ, Anthony, Sarah, Dan, Stu and anyone else involved. Awesome event as usual, and truely is the PREMIER 24 HR event in the WORLD.

Not sure why more elite females didn't come along. Also not sure why we need a separate Solo only champs in March.

Anyway... can't wait till next year.

Le Matelot

1. The second feed tent needed a light, tables, and perhaps a chair or three.
Agreed.

2. Solo riders needed a porta loo.
Yep, agree - the hard part is how to stop everyone else using it - and thus defeating the purpose.

Not sure why more elite females didn't come along.
Got me stumped too. Overall, Women riders were down to 10% of the field this year - where they normally sit at around 14%. In terms of the Elite end of the field, I think Alex ze German is back in Europe and Katrin was taking a couple of months off the bike.

Also not sure why we need a separate Solo only champs in March.
Long story, but here goes....

Scheduling. The World Solo Champs are normally on in September each year (yes - this year was different), so if the Aussie jerseys were handed out at the Scott in October (like they used to be) it means an 11 month wait to visit the world stage. Assuming those riders do the World Champs, it then means they back up from the World Champs at the next Scott to defend their Aussie title only 1 month later. Is that too close together for a Solo 24 Hr? Having the Aussie jersey race at Easter allows for a reasonable leadup to the Worlds and also allows our champs a reasonable go at defending their titles.

Fairer Competition. Having the solo-only race means less traffic on the course, and it also means all the riders out there are suffering equally - no team whippet screaming past you at 4 in the morning.

Even Fairer Competition. In the last few years when the races were combined, we had started to see a disturbing trend where some team riders were helping solo riders, and in some cases a team looked like it had been entered solely to assist a solo rider. Whenever the solo went out, one of the team would go with them, feed them, draft them and generally keep the spirits up. That wasn't against the rules, but it gave those riders an advantage over the other solos. Moving to a solo-only race makes that much harder to do and it levels the playing field. Remember, the two Aussie Champions at Easter get a pretty significant prize (around $5000 each) from CORC so it needs to be a fair competition, and any temptation for it to be otherwise needs to be removed.

Anyway... can't wait till next year.
Me too :)

Last edited:

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Even Fairer Competition. In the last few years when the races were combined, we had started to see a disturbing trend where some team riders were helping solo riders, and in some cases a team looked like it had been entered solely to assist a solo rider. Whenever the solo went out, one of the team would go with them, feed them, draft them and generally keep the spirits up. That wasn't against the rules, but it gave those riders an advantage over the other solos. Moving to a solo-only race makes that much harder to do and it levels the playing field. Remember, the two Aussie Champions at Easter get a pretty significant prize (around $5000 each) from CORC so it needs to be a fair competition, and any temptation for it to be otherwise needs to be removed.

Me too :)
Wow! That amazes me... but I guess I can be naive and I can see how that could happen for sure. Same thing happens in 100k races.

Good answer!

Le Matelot

Wow! That amazes me... but I guess I can be naive and I can see how that could happen for sure. Same thing happens in 100k races.
Yep - we also have a "no drafting" rule at the Easter Solo-Only 24Hr Champs, basically it says that you can't draft, or receive a draft from a rider of the opposite sex, and a 6+6 hour rider cannot draft a 24 hour rider.

The male 24, female 24, male 6+6 and female 6+6 categories all have different coloured number plates to make this easier to spot.

kerbs

Likes Bikes
Yep, agree - the hard part is how to stop everyone else using it - and thus defeating the purpose.
I noticed the portaloo's missing from around the track and thought that was a bit harsh. These would generally work well for the solo riders, because how many team riders, going out on one lap, would have to stop at the portaloo half way around the course. In past years when I've needed to stop, there has been no one using them, ideal for solo's.

Other gripe I guess I had was, despite the fact there was a better atmosphere down near the transition areas, the solo camps got squeezed, and unless you had a reserved spot, you almost certainly had to back track to visit your support area. Now, I don't have an answer to this, but we have a year to think about it and come up with a solution where the solos can be relatively close to their pit area on both laps....

Great event! Great fun... 22 laps on a singlespeed, I'm paying for it, still. I swore off doing it solo again straight after the race, but as soon as I saw the results, I started analysing where I could make up time and crack top 2.... Bring on next year :rolleyes:

Le Matelot

I noticed the portaloo's missing from around the track and thought that was a bit harsh ... In past years when I've needed to stop, there has been no one using them, ideal for solo's.
I thought Norm was referring to having a portaloo in the solo camping area for solo riders. Out on the course, there were portaloos at the halfway point of the red and blue laps.

Other gripe I guess I had was, despite the fact there was a better atmosphere down near the transition areas, the solo camps got squeezed, and unless you had a reserved spot, you almost certainly had to back track to visit your support area. Now, I don't have an answer to this, but we have a year to think about it and come up with a solution where the solos can be relatively close to their pit area on both laps...
Working on it... Although the solo camping area inside the donut at the southern end of the crit track was relatively un-used. That was right alongside both laps.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
The Scott 2008 from a spectators perspective.

This event was a huge spectacle, massive props to "Team CORC" and their affiliates for all of their efforts in staging this race. Organisation, event management and facilities are second to none. No wonder it is billed as Australia's biggest MTB race.
Congrats must also go to all of the riders who took part in this event, you all help to make this the premier event that it is. The camaraderie between riders of all abilities displayed on course is something you only seem to experience in these types of races.

Thanks again to you all.

(by the way, there are a few pics from the weekend's racing now posted in ACT race photos forum)
http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146094

Last edited:

kerbs

Likes Bikes
I thought Norm was referring to having a portaloo in the solo camping area for solo riders. Out on the course, there were portaloos at the halfway point of the red and blue laps.
Maybe these could be unhidden then. I didn't see one of these in 22 laps. Perhaps I was just too shagged to look sideways ;) I did look in the spots where they were located last year. Maybe should leave them in the same spots perhaps?

Working on it... Although the solo camping area inside the donut at the southern end of the crit track was relatively un-used. That was right alongside both laps.
Maybe that could have been advertised a little better (if it was at all). I never even heard you could camp inside the donut, and being a law abiding citizen, tried to stick within the boundaries as I knew them!

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

For some reason we thought that was out of bounds,
not that we were out of the way at all.

oh well, I know where we are going to set up camp next year,

I have no gripes and think the whole event was awesome,
You cant please all the people all the time
You certainly please the 15 of us in our camp.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Last race at kowen, at least the top 3 riders had someone riding next to them at various parts of the track handing them food. of those three, at least one of them in the later parts of the race when he passed me (at least) had another elite rider or two out in front "clearing the way" so to speak and drafting on the fire road sections. I don't think that was a new thing talking to many of the riders and support crews for people like Gordo and Rosi king. Everyone was looking for ways to minimise down time off the bike

Even with the rules of the easter race, some guys were bending or breaking them, especially regarding feeding (partly I think because the feed zone was a little awkward) You can somewhat understand that given the competitive nature of the Australian 24hr crew and in some races, the top 5 or 10 are wheel to wheel for a fair chunk of time at the beginning.

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Well, I didn't know this was happening... and certainly I've never seen any evidence of it happening here in Victoria.
Mind you there was a very well publicized example of it during the Otway Odyssey, when Emma Coulson was questioned about her apparently receiving support. Due to this Emma very admirably handed back her prize money.

I think if this is to continue to happen then the RULES must be enforced, OR don't have them. Either make the rules REAL, or get rid of them.

Further... those riders that are doing this, should be exposed and then made to feel "less than". Solo riding is just as much about how well you can do your transitions AT the transition tent... not on the track.

Cheers