Scott 24hr 2009

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't worry - the single lap format will be just as much fun as the doubles.

I thought the same thing before going to the Mont earlier in the year - single lap, yawn, boring riding round in circles for 24 hours, yada ya, but I had an absolute ball.

Especially with a longer lap (Mont was ~18km) you won't dial it in for a few laps, and then you spend a few laps trying to get quicker and quicker.

It will rock, I guarantee* it.

(*Guarantee not valid in Australian Capital Territory)

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Floody - 29ers are also one of the stupidest concepts to infect mountain biking but CX bikes on the driest continent on earth make 29ers look like a sound idea.
I'm with you there Lanky Love, CX bikes in Antarctica would be just plain silly ...

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm, a single loop. Maybe this year will be the time to try out SS. Bring out the Redline!

Beej1

I believe the Kona 24hr lets you to ride a different course at later stages of the race. It's a novel idea, and worthy of some consideration. It would certainly refresh the race and keep it interesting.
If you do follow a "loop change mid event" setup, I reckon starting with blue then finishing with red would be the better option. Speaking for myself and everyone I've teamed up with the last two years - blue sucks to finish a race on. Nothing beats flying down from the top of the mountain on red - esp the bottom half of the DH track (or spectator access track ... as it were). If I think back to the faces of my teammates in transition, there were always grins when they'd finish red.

At least this would mean one entrance and exit at transition to cut down on logistics, but you'd still need 2 sets of checkpoints at least for that change from one loop to the other.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Am I alone in liking the long climb on the red lap? Even after god knows how many laps solo it was still fun (ok, fun in the sado-masochistic way but still fun :) ).

Now that climb up to the end of the beginner downhill mid-way through the blue lap was plain nasty - pinches, switchbacks, switchbacks into pinches... ewww.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
blue sucks to finish a race on.
Beg to differ - especially last year - the run down from the new crossover, the little double before the 4X track, then the singletrack around the 4X track, going so fast I think I felt my brain move inside my skull - then under the crossover, over the armouring, and flog yourself through the last of the trees - friggin awesome. I think the last 1 1/2 km were strictly big dog territory!

For me it flowed alot better than the end of the red lap, although that techie descent after the shipping container always gave me a good little adrenalin rush.

And the red climb - love it. Testing yet achievable, rewards good fitness and better technique.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Beg to differ - especially last year - the run down from the new crossover, the little double before the 4X track, then the singletrack around the 4X track, going so fast I think I felt my brain move inside my skull - then under the crossover, over the armouring, and flog yourself through the last of the trees - friggin awesome. I think the last 1 1/2 km were strictly big dog territory!

For me it flowed alot better than the end of the red lap, although that techie descent after the shipping container always gave me a good little adrenalin rush.

And the red climb - love it. Testing yet achievable, rewards good fitness and better technique.
here here. i loved the blue lap. the new climb wasn't so bad cos you knew the beginner DH was coming and then after the crossover there was that awesome couple of banked corners and the sweet weaving section towards the carpark and dropping down through the campsites isn't half bad either. i loved that return...

craign

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of using crossmarks front and rear
what are peoples opinions on these?
Nice and fast, and grippy enough at the right pressure in my opinion. I found they had to be around 30psi or less, so not really practical with tubes, but fine tubeless.

JD26

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of using crossmarks front and rear
what are peoples opinions on these?
Small block eights are the go at Stromlo - as used by setter of fastest lap there last year. Best kept secret in the world of rubber.

I have some pine scented ones that can be used at Stromlo to simulate a forest. For real!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I'm thinking of using crossmarks front and rear, what are peoples opinions on these?
Mike oscillates between:
. Crossmark F and R,
. Monorail F and R
. Monorail F and Crossmark R
. Rendez F and Crossmark R
. Medusa F and R if it gets super muddy.

At 2009 Nationals at Stromlo he had Monorail F and Crossmark R

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i totally posted in the wrong thread!!

It was supposed to be in the simpson desert thread.

DoH