Seeking advice on sponsorship

teK--

Eats Squid
Have you tried to get his profile in some mtb magazines or online? I have some mates that are sponsored for fishing and they write articles and take photos and the companies contacted them after seeing their articles. Maybe you could try and get some articles about Felix and you might not get contacted initially but you could use the articles as part of the CV @bear the bear mentioned.
This .. he should set up an insta account and start building a story of his racing and how he could promote a sponsor even in everyday life .. it might take some time but once he gets noticed it will help to have a running history.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers all. Will have a closer look at the great suggestions. He’s a very reserved kid, just wants to ride fast and have fun. I can’t ask anything more of him.
If he wants to make a go of this, I don’t want him held back by my pride (I have great difficulty accepting help).

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
How about some crowd funding? Or maybe Rotorburn “sponsorship”, surely there’s plenty here that might enjoy living vicariously through Felix’s exploits on and off the track and could spare a few bucks as a community to help him on his way?

All those comments regarding social media are spot on too. It seems you have to have a shedload of twitter, Instagram, youtube and FB followers and be actively creating content to catch the eye of a sponsor. Anyone following Ben Cathro on YT will know that he’s recently picked up a sweet deal with Santa Cruz, Schwalbe and Shimano. He already had a following and a marketable presence - seems like you have to have a healthy social media profile to draw any attention to yourself.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers @Nambra, I’m not a fan of crowd funding, and while I see it working well sometimes, it’s not my cuppa.
Felix isn’t very into social media, which I both love, yet know it’s essential these days. He posts a few things up...usually a repost after I already have.
He’s @mtba_felix if anyone wants to keep an eye on his Instagram.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Social media will come, seriously whose gonna follow someone who hasn’t already got sponsorship and is a well known rider? It’s hard blowing up and going viral from nothing, I wouldn’t banking on that.
keep him happy riding and get to as many races as possible, results speak loudly.
Social media will help, but it won’t do it all.

Can you ask your friend to ask his contacts what people are looking for? Honestly we’re all probably talking out our arses, not to mention theres always more tha one way to skin a cat.

“Oi lusty, he’s killed it this season AGAIN how abouts you sort him out with another red tranny so I get mine back?”

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
He’s a very reserved kid, just wants to ride fast and have fun.
It's great he can ride fast, and it's fine to have fun, but usually reserved is not what sponsors are after. If it keeps on keeping on, maybe a little bit of help with marketing himself, wouldn't go astray. Social media is not going away, but if he gets successful, at some point he's going to have to look squarely into the camera and talk confidently into the mic.

Years ago all the footy players struggled with media, now they are all trained public speakers.

I'm not saying it is a priority now, but if he maintains the progress, it will be.

Warp

Likes Dirt
like Kimi Raikkonen

Or Mika Hakkinen...

The point is he has to be different or add something to the experience of the viewers.

There had been a few articles in Pinkbike that may be a starting point. But to summarize, getting sponsorship is like getting a job... you have to be noticed and/or knock on a lot of doors and sell yourself to the potential sponsors.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moorey,

I have been fortunate enough to receive a fair bit of help over the years from my LBS and a local distributor.
As everyone on here is probably aware, your LBS is the gateway to everything within the industry. They will be the ones selling Felix to the distros etc.
It will be very rare that you get a direct line to anywhere else.

Unfortunately in this day and age, results don't really count for all that much. A lot of the biggest names in cycling are unique personalities, rather than superstar racers. Sponsors want engagement with fans and athletes, even at grassroots level. A few bike pics or racing wrap ups won't cut it unless people are invested in the story.

For what it's worth, a strong and loyal relationship with your LBS will probably offer better opportunities for you both, rather than being tied into a single brand or distributor.

I also don't believe the industry is overly concerned with the younger generations, generally speaking, the target market for mountain biking is the parents.

Cheers

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ This isn't as silly as it sounds. Moorey has plenty of peoples attention through this platform, why not go down that path and double the potential audience?

You've got all the ingredients covered in your cycling life to keep things interesting - Trail building, bike building, racing.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I can see the headline "Felix, a successful mountain biker even though his Dad rides something that sounds like a filling cabinet falling down the stairs" on a more serious note maybe he could ease himself into the social media scene doing product reviews and location reviews? He would get a feel for writing and presenting on something he is interested in and good a breaking and he could start cultivating an audience.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If its just going fast and having fun that he loves, set him up with a go pro and he can be the BKXC/Nate Hills for kids. Also, you get to drive him around going to cool new trails to ride and film.

The POV MTB youtuber is huge now, there might be a market for a "made by kids for kids" variant?

You'll need a schtick too I guess - "cool kid blows dorky Dad into the weeds" could be fun.

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Ideally Felix could tape all your crashes Moorey, but sadly he's usually so far in front he'd miss them. Damn, where' the behind sofa emoji?

My 2 cents... I agree with posters here in terms of a social media component. Sponsors want presence. Winning races is awesome but being in the public eye means exposure... Good luck with it, I hope it works out.

moorey

call me Mia
If its just going fast and having fun that he loves, set him up with a go pro and he can be the BKXC/Nate Hills for kids. Also, you get to drive him around going to cool new trails to ride and film.

The POV MTB youtuber is huge now, there might be a market for a "made by kids for kids" variant?

You'll need a schtick too I guess - "cool kid blows dorky Dad into the weeds" could be fun.

Cheers.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I understand that he's not that into being in front of the camera, nor is he a big social media queen but the whole PoV youtube thing could be good? For filler ride some of the Victorian stuff with a bit of commentary.. would be good to see vids of everything from Harcourt to Castlemaine to Black Hill. Add some Skills with Phil style tutorials, plus some track building videos (include some trail advocacy here... get kids to stop building shit in the wrong spots?). Look at Seth's Bike Hacks... that dude has over 1 mil subscribers. He's getting gear thrown at him. Same with BKXC, Orbea throws him a bike, not to mention paid trips here and there to promote tour companies... and Brian (of BKXC) is a pretty laid back dude, he basically just narrates his rides.

Though yeah these are a ton of work, so perhaps not the best idea. Why the sponsorship? To keep a solid bike under him? Unfortunately there are tons of stories of very skilled racers in all fields who end up cutting their careers short due to lack of funds. Being a marketable commodity goes a long way in this regard.

Write to Troy Brosnan and ask him for advice?