Serrata track bantry bay

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a good ride with some of the crew today; two laps of the new section and a Manly Dam lap. Loved it. I like that it's a little more technical than I'd envisaged. 2nd lap in was much easier of course. Some guys were already flying through at a cracking pace and really getting into it.

Seemed to be plenty of parking at the oval if the street is full. I'll definitely be back.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Fun track, armouring is the best I've ridden so far. But ...

i) too many tight corners on the descent IMO
ii) would be good if one or two of the flat / armoured corners was a little cambered ... Doesn't have to be big, but just so you can rail a corner or two and get that g'd feel. I anticipate a bunch of ews pros will tell me to learn to ride flat corners, but if you don't get what I'm saying then I won't bother explaining.

Not a whinge per se, but thinking on the above, I reckon a couple faster turns would change it from a cool track with nice detailed rock work. To an iconic, although short, track with some real zing.

generally, I liked it and def my cup of tea ... Some very nice detail, like I noticed the trailing edge of some rock work sections had a raised lip to catch your tires and keep you on track. The trenches /water bars were neat. The rock stutters for lack of a better description, was super fun. Lots of tricky rock features keeps you thinking. Very nice patch of bushland too.

Cant wait to ride the eastern section as I reckon that will be the money trail.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
Fun track, armouring is the best I've ridden so far. But ...

i) too many tight corners on the descent IMO
ii) would be good if one or two of the flat / armoured corners was a little cambered ... Doesn't have to be big, but just so you can rail a corner or two and get that g'd feel. I anticipate a bunch of ews pros will tell me to learn to ride flat corners, but if you don't get what I'm saying then I won't bother explaining.

Not a whinge per se, but thinking on the above, I reckon a couple faster turns would change it from a cool track with nice detailed rock work. To an iconic, although short, track with some real zing.

generally, I liked it and def my cup of tea ... Some very nice detail, like I noticed the trailing edge of some rock work sections had a raised lip to catch your tires and keep you on track. The trenches /water bars were neat. The rock stutters for lack of a better description, was super fun. Lots of tricky rock features keeps you thinking. Very nice patch of bushland too.

Cant wait to ride the eastern section as I reckon that will be the money trail.
With you on all the above but coming from Europe I'm used to these kind of corners. We dont really have much handbuilt trails in the alps.

Isnt the eastern section supposed to be way more XC friendly, translating to rather boring? I'd love a more flowy track with jumps, drops and some faster turns and I can only hope it goes in this direction. Apparently they are only waiting for a bridge to be built as the trail is basically ready.

stocktrials

Likes Dirt
Rode it on the weekend. We did a lap of the Dam beforehand, a long way to go (for some) to ride Serrata only.

Impressions? Did 2 runs and it's pretty fun, lots of medium/large sized rocks around that slow you down a bit, although I was on a 100mm dually and I understand that area is pretty sandy, needs rocks to reinforce the track. As others have stated, intermediate-advanced level of riding. Give it a go!

*found this video from the Shimano page just now:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=875851525781575&set=vb.234921766541224&type=2&theater

Last edited:

loc81

Likes Dirt
Loc81 here you go. Check strava too if you want a bit clearer idea of the route.

This is for serrata track only, access will be different for the other trail but it's not open yet so here's the route I took for serrata.

Sorry if this seems complex, there are easier ways to get there but this is a fun route to take that minimises time on roads.
Me and a few mates headed out today and it's a great little trail. Happy to save time by backing up the reviews already posted here!
Want to hear a balls up?
Note that I had all this info in my phone including map screen shots but being a moron I just got distracted and forgot to even check.
We missed the possum track somehow then followed up that fire trail to the end of Bantry Bay rd, then followed some other lost riders down Utyana Pl, onto some old goat track steps where I went OTB and grazed all up my arm! (Pics and some riding snippets on Instagram @loc81) Then on to an incorrect fire road back up to BB Rd, look at my info and get over to Penrose. Phew!
That "worst shortcut ever" truly was shit. Does anyone ride down that rock chute? Is there another way down that bushland beside that?
Cheers for your help- I've got a much better idea next time!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Me and a few mates headed out today and it's a great little trail. Happy to save time by backing up the reviews already posted here!
Want to hear a balls up?
Note that I had all this info in my phone including map screen shots but being a moron I just got distracted and forgot to even check.
We missed the possum track somehow then followed up that fire trail to the end of Bantry Bay rd, then followed some other lost riders down Utyana Pl, onto some old goat track steps where I went OTB and grazed all up my arm! (Pics and some riding snippets on Instagram @loc81) Then on to an incorrect fire road back up to BB Rd, look at my info and get over to Penrose. Phew!
That "worst shortcut ever" truly was shit. Does anyone ride down that rock chute? Is there another way down that bushland beside that?
Hahah worst shortcut ever is like a dh track, you should try riding back up it!
Yeah there's a few sneaky ways down to serrata without using that trail, plus a segment called daisy Dukes to get back up that section too.

How did find serrata though? I went on Friday morning and i was faster through it but binned it on one rocky corner due to damp sand on my tyres.
I caught up to some Lycra clad dudes on 29ers, they seemed to struggle on the twisty bits.
Trail was overall pretty grippy though except a few of the off camber rocks, but no wet spots which given the volume of rain was nice to see how well the drainage has been done.

Last edited:

loc81

Likes Dirt
Hahah worst shortcut ever is like a dh track, you should try riding back up it!
Yeah there's a few sneaky ways down to serrata without using that trail, plus a segment called daisy Dukes to get back up that section too.

How did find serrata though? I went on Friday morning and i was faster through it but binned it on one rocky corner due to damp sand on my tyres.
I caught up to some Lycra clad dudes on 29ers, they seemed to struggle on the twisty bits.
Trail was overall pretty grippy though except a few of the off camber rocks, but no wet spots which given the volume of rain was nice to see how well the drainage has been done.
The trail was great- really kept me on my toes! The sandy ground was a little damp today but I think it helped with some bite- I'm not a fan of dusty dry sand.
Yeah I think a few of the "roadies on xc bikes" riders could have a tough time out there.. Ourimbah is my local so that certainly helped!

moobs

Squid
Want to hear a balls up?
There is an alternative to worst shortcut ever, although personally I love that trail!

Instead of turning left into the park at the corner at the end of yarraman, go straight. You ride along the grass for maybe 100m until you can't go any further and look for the trailhead on the left. It's pretty new with flag markers and brings you out maybe 100m further up than worst shortcut. Not sure if this is a legit trail or not.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
There is an alternative to worst shortcut ever, although personally I love that trail!

Instead of turning left into the park at the corner at the end of yarraman, go straight. You ride along the grass for maybe 100m until you can't go any further and look for the trailhead on the left. It's pretty new with flag markers and brings you out maybe 100m further up than worst shortcut. Not sure if this is a legit trail or not.
That's daisy dukes. But instead of going down yarraman, go down penrose, cross the grass from the concrete pathway to the firetrail entrance (about 8 metres) hidden in the bushes to the right is the trail about 4 metres along the firetrail. I believe it's been flagged for an actual track to be built.
I've only ridden up it though not down. But it's pretty fun.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Did the Serrata and Gahnia tracks with a mate for the first time today. Really enjoyed the Serrata track but I was a bit under gunned on my 27.5 Anthem as my Reign is on the work stand wait for some bits. I'll have to do it again on the Reign ASAP.

Did the Gahnia track 2nd and we were pretty knackered after that. It was challenging being either on the brakes or on the pedals the whole way. Some serious effort has gone into both tracks and I presume Trailscapes would have been fairly limited with trail width etc, so slow tracks aren't going to widen like a fast track would.

advanti

Squid
I'm gonna apologise in advance for any bouts of nausea from watching this. But this was from yesterday's ride through the trail. Be kind on my riding, it was first time on the trail and we didn't do a scope through first just rode it as it came. If you don't like daft punk out it on mute (was hard to find a good long track in short time)

[video=vimeo;113135391]https://vimeo.com/113135391[/video]

Also note chops sitting down at the start but on his bike at the end. ;)

Great video! Can see lots of people eating shit on the first 1km or so of that trail...lot more technical than I would have expected

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
HAHA i will need to make sure my health insurance is in order before I ride it if trickier than that!
Before hitting it I was under the impression that ghania would be like a longer version of the tech section on serrata. How wrong I was. Really needs to be looked at carefully before hitting all the lines.... You've been warned.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Before hitting it I was under the impression that ghania would be like a longer version of the tech section on serrata. How wrong I was. Really needs to be looked at carefully before hitting all the lines.... You've been warned.
A dropper post is mandatory for both tracks. I'm glad I saw your vid first Foxpuppet - my mate hadn't gotten around to fitting his dropper post so I fitted before we left telling him he'll thank me later. Especially that early section of Ghania!