Shaun White's Redbull Project X

sam705

Likes Dirt

'How do you build a private halfpipe for Shaun? Take a remote location at high altitude, gathering a team of industry-leading designers and equipment – and let’s not miss the explosives and avalanches.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQTodf1Oc28&feature=player_embedded

'Practicing new tricks into a foam put is nothing new – unless you’re talking about a private foam pit at the end of a halfpipe in the middle of nowhere.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkst-HVznM&feature=player_embedded

VERY cool.

Attachments

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely the coolest thing I've seen this year.:eek:

Who wants to build a fuck off huge dirt halfpipe to foam pit with me?:)

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Completely removed from any sort of grass roots boarding. Flashy shit, lots of cash and red bull constantly trying to push the limits, showcasing one dudes abilities and not really any sort of community is pretty lame.

I know nothing about snow boarding but I'm pretty un-impressed.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Completely removed from any sort of grass roots boarding. Flashy shit, lots of cash and red bull constantly trying to push the limits, showcasing one dudes abilities and not really any sort of community is pretty lame.

I know nothing about snow boarding but I'm pretty un-impressed.
I have to agree with you there.

I know nothing about snowboarding, and don't follow it at all.

I posted this more due to the fact that i thought it was simply amazing how they actually made the halfpipe and what effort went into completing the foam pit. As mentioned it's something that hasn't been done before and i for one, found it intriguing.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I have to agree with you there.

I know nothing about snowboarding, and don't follow it at all.

I posted this more due to the fact that i thought it was simply amazing how they actually made the halfpipe and what effort went into completing the foam pit. As mentioned it's something that hasn't been done before and i for one, found it intriguing.

i dont get what bit hasnt been done before..

im SURE that someones mad a foam pit at the snow before, even if it was just a few mattresses! or even after a 1m powder dump.. some shit.

i dont see the big thing about making the avalanche's to create the pipe.. its like WTF what a WASTE of money, its all a massive marketing plot (obvioulsy) get a few cats to push snow from about 100 metres away, in the same area, with out the avalanche's and they would have had the same result..

sam705

Likes Dirt
i dont get what bit hasnt been done before..

im SURE that someones mad a foam pit at the snow before, even if it was just a few mattresses! or even after a 1m powder dump.. some shit.

i dont see the big thing about making the avalanche's to create the pipe.. its like WTF what a WASTE of money, its all a massive marketing plot (obvioulsy) get a few cats to push snow from about 100 metres away, in the same area, with out the avalanche's and they would have had the same result..
To that extent, anyway.
Hate it all you like, i didn't post this thread expecting codswallop to be thrown around everywhere. I thought some other people would appreciate the effort gone into making such a thing, regardless of the Redbull hype.

sawtell

To that extent, anyway.
Hate it all you like, i didn't post this thread expecting codswallop to be thrown around everywhere. I thought some other people would appreciate the effort gone into making such a thing, regardless of the Redbull hype.

hey nothing against you, or the thread, just a general hate for redbull marketing. i hate all their "this is soooo extreme watch this guy do this, its sooooo extreme, snowboarding is extremmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex10"..

yeah ill leave it alone.

i am looking forward to see what he does in the pipe, that "kid" is ridiculously good.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey nothing against you, or the thread, just a general hate for redbull marketing. i hate all their "this is soooo extreme watch this guy do this, its sooooo extreme, snowboarding is extremmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex10"..

yeah ill leave it alone.

i am looking forward to see what he does in the pipe, that "kid" is ridiculously good.
It's over-hyped, and over-marketed, but the magnitude of it is still very impressive.

The only thing i gathered from the videos is that they used the avalanche snow to make it more consistent to remove risks of air bubbles on the surface?

Is it going to be used in competition, or is it purely Shaun's for practice? That guy truly is insane. Dominating vert snow, then going to vert skate and dominating there too.

sawtell

Is it going to be used in competition, or is it purely Shaun's for practice? That guy truly is insane. Dominating vert snow, then going to vert skate and dominating there too.
then going and entering random surfing comps and semi dominating!

Tomas

my mum says im cool
and its great for the industry that this market exists. cause it allows the bike snowboard companies to spend more on R&D and eventually the technology trickles down to mainstream.
Im surprised it's getting hate here on Rotorburn!

Dante666

Likes Dirt
It's very clever marketing by Red Bull doing what they do.... their biggest market is the teenage market who love stuff like this...explosions, snowboarding...(though no red bull girls?)...

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(though no red bull girls?)
You'd think they'd definitely have girls there in skimpy clothes...given the weather ;)

What amazes me is someone building a HUGE foam pit out of mild steel in a wet environment. Long term planning :(

Another sad thing about it is that as you watch you can't really get have same enthusiasm that the dudes talking about it have because watching avalanches on a video and actually creating them with charges is totally different.

I was most impressed with the machines and their crafting tools. Being able to carve an entire wall is amazing.

They'd better have a comp there.

dunndog

Eats Squid
They won't have a comp there, shaun will do some super secret training there for the olympics and then red bull will roll out of town and go drop some charges down some underwater crevasse to trigger a tsunami that will be surfed by ross clarke jones

Geordsta

Likes Dirt
I understand it's all like Oh Em Gee!! Red Bull expensive stunts! But this just doesn't seem that impressive...

Isn't it just an expensive half pipe with a foam pit?
I'm not very clued in on snowboarding but a half pipe with a foam pit doesn't seem that special to me...