Shimano geoblock for USA and Canada

John U

MTB Precision
I’ve gone from a ten year period of spending a couple of hunjy a month on bike related shit to spending nothing. The behaviour of SRAM and Shimano has turned me from a fanatical mountain biker to no longer too fussed. They have lost me for now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I’ve gone from a ten year period of spending a couple of hunjy a month on bike related shit to spending nothing.
I still spend. Just now I spend on other stuff that is not drivetrain related. In ters of consumables, I simply swap out KMC chains much more frequently than I usually do to prolong cassette wear.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Seriously looking at 2x10 microshift derailleurs and shifters and sunrise cassette for my current budget build.

Both big S have lost me. I see plenty of options for mid to lower builds, but top tier parts are still a challenge, until I find an alternative I’ll keep replying on the 11 speed xx1 stash I have.

We should all bombard Hope to convince them to bring to market a top tier shifter and derailleur.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I still spend. Just now I spend on other stuff that is not drivetrain related. In ters of consumables, I simply swap out KMC chains much more frequently than I usually do to prolong cassette wear.
Sunrace cassettes are lighter, cheaper and look cooler. Can't comment on durability yet tho

mark22

Likes Dirt
Anyone onto cheap KMC 11speed chains? Used to be cheap on CRC, once.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Received this overnight....

Hi,

We are contacting you because you have ordered from countries in the past where we can no longer, starting on the 01.06.2019, offer Shimano products to. The reason for this are changes to the sales concept of the manufacturer. Sadly, we are required to follow these changes.

To give you another chance at getting a hold of great priced Shimano goods, we are offering you a 10 % discount code:

SHIMANO10

You can find more information here:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/embargo/

Binaural

Eats Squid
Would be interesting to invite the head of Shimano to do an interview with Rotorburn to explain how this geoblocking benefits Australian consumers. Mods/Admin?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bike components bites the dust - boooo.

+1 for the interview with shitmano. See how much spin they can generate.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Looks like either my grey importing days are almost over.......or about to ramp up big time
I think we might have to look to asia - any taiwanese online stores? Cycle express never had a full range and went a bit weird of late but in the past they have shown to have some cracker deals.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Looks like the push towards alternatives (Microshift, Sunrace...) just got bigger.
I wonder what the comparative unit costs are for components between the two 'S' and the rest of the field and how much overall volume impacts this.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I wonder what the comparative unit costs are for components between the two 'S' and the rest of the field and how much overall volume impacts this.
Probably quite a bit. Most of these parts would require tooling, which is really expensive and requires quite a bit of volume to offset. Running tooling at a low rate is also really inefficient.