Shimano XT / SLX 12-Speed

Calvin27

Eats Squid
When my current drive train is toast I reckon I'm gonna replace it with
A completely new wheel 'maginficent boost with invisible spline technology' - where the cassette and rotor is integrated into the hub and wheel assembly meaning you have to replace the whole thing if the rotor goes untrue.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
A completely new wheel 'maginficent boost with invisible spline technology' - where the cassette and rotor is integrated into the hub and wheel assembly meaning you have to replace the whole thing if the rotor goes untrue.
Yep....and it'll all be made out of Unobtainium.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Shimano just straight up looked at the numbers and saw that people rarely switch drivetrains or actually upgrade entire running gear from a bike they already have, and decided it wasn't worth chasing those sales over completely trouncing the OEM market
Which is the windsurfing model.

I'd be interested to see their numbers on per unit profit for OEM vs consumer sales. I rekon consumer sales yield more per unit (even if you sell them are pre geoblock crc prices). But the issue might be they lose in the long game because sram has dominated the oem spec. However I don't see why punching oem sales necessarily has to mean you go full protection mode in post consumer sales. Maybe have a word to crc about pricing and set a floor but at the very least it's an open market since sram is both expensive, shite and geoblocked. Most folks will pay $50 for a 10 speed cassette but not $80. I rekon $30 crc was quite low but at $50 there is fair margin here to make it attractive. For oem I rekon they for easily for sub $20 for 11 speed. But yeah talking out of my ass, some oem costing figures would be interesting to grab a hold of.

Reactions: Zaf

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which is the windsurfing model.

I'd be interested to see their numbers on per unit profit for OEM vs consumer sales. I rekon consumer sales yield more per unit (even if you sell them are pre geoblock crc prices). But the issue might be they lose in the long game because sram has dominated the oem spec. However I don't see why punching oem sales necessarily has to mean you go full protection mode in post consumer sales. Maybe have a word to crc about pricing and set a floor but at the very least it's an open market since sram is both expensive, shite and geoblocked. Most folks will pay $50 for a 10 speed cassette but not $80. I rekon $30 crc was quite low but at $50 there is fair margin here to make it attractive. For oem I rekon they for easily for sub $20 for 11 speed. But yeah talking out of my ass, some oem costing figures would be interesting to grab a hold of.
I reckon in the long game Shimano plans to bring the consumer sales back. They have lost too much OEM goodness that no one needs their consumables so they need to focus there for now before it's too late. If only they bought a fork manufacturer to be able to compete with SRAM for oem.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Higher end Giant hubs are DTSwiss, just Giant logos.

Looks like around $500 for an 8100 “upgrade” - cassette with DT freehub and chain and shifter and derailleur. Might be tempting if it shifts well.