Silly things that you used to believe when you first started riding

Blythy

Likes Dirt
That a chainstay was the same thing as a chain guide and that a santa cruz blur xc would be mad for downhill haha...

harmonix1234

Eats Squid

Attachments

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
wouldnt that work harden and crack after a while
That's exactly what I thought but apparently the scandium holds up.
They have one as a long term tester in AMB (or is it MBA?) and have been using it for about two years and I think it even did the dirtworks 100 last year and is still rockin. Apparently...

I would be nervously inspecting the chainstays after every ride though.

Sgt. Tangent

Likes Bikes
I had no idea what "freeriding" was until about a year ago.
I thought a "hanger" was the bottom part of a derailleur only two weeks ago :p
I used to think that wikipedia had every answer.. just then, google nor wikipedia could tell me what a "hanger on a bike" was. maybe i didn't look hard enough.

Only a few months ago, i was about to buy a new front hub, because it was sqeaking really bad.. i took it to the bike shop and they "fixed" it and i asked how they laughed and told me lubricant fixed what could have been an expensive mistake. Also, I once told my friends to be careful with my bike, and dont scratch the "sanctions" on my forks.

I'll probably come out with ever more outlandish phrases, as my new dh bike has alot more parts and things compared to my dj bike.

Last edited:

andrewG

Likes Dirt
the more travel at the front the better the bike was. a dually was an awesome bike just cause it had lots of suspension

the fatter the tyres the better

i didnt even know what weight was and didnt care at all

ah i miss those days. now i am a slave to light weight parts.

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
that doing "skids" was cool and you had to do them to be good at riding
doing a wheelie for a while made you a real good rider as well
any bike with suspension was like god, includes my 20'' huffy bike that had front sus, i thought and so did my friends (when i was 10?) that my bike was the best.
a bmx had to have 3 piece cranks to be good, and have fat axles 14mm
redline, haro, gt, sanfu, oddyseey were the main parts everyone had/ main bikes everyone had.

mousey

Cannon Fodder
I used to think that I was the only 10 year old that knew anything about bikes.
But actually I barely knew anything...

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
haha my friends dad did the exact same thing to his son's bike.
and i used to wear my full face to school in year 5. damn that was a long time ago.

haha....remember the old bright yellow Stak Hats of the 80's. hahaha even then none of us thought they were cool. you looked like a storm trooper with tho's on.
haha i still have one of them i use it as my helmet some times gets the giggles going. :)

Repack Rider

Likes Bikes
To throw a spanner in the works, I'm pretty sure that there is a company out there that has a short travel xc bike with a shock that runs on the flex of the frame, no pivots. From memory, it might be Salsa?
Moots still makes one.

I once believed that a dozen custom off-road bikes would supply everyone who wanted one.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that doing "skids" was cool and you had to do them to be good at riding
Lol when you're a 7yr old doing skids is still cool! Seems to be one of the first thing my kids learned to do after getting off the trainers, actually my 7yr old boy is doing sideways skiddies, I'm a proud Mum for sure! Lol

a bmx had to have 3 piece cranks to be good, and have fat axles 14mm
redline, haro, gt, sanfu, oddyseey were the main parts everyone had/ main bikes everyone had.
Hmmm looks like I got the 3pce cranks and the 14mm front right when we brought our son a BMX. Guess if he still has the same bike when he's 10 then he'll be the cool kid on the block. Although somehow I think "Xyz coloured rims and pedals) would beat that! Ha ha

timmy0081

Likes Dirt
wearing a full face, no matter what bike your riding or the location that surrounded you, was the really cool