Silly things that you used to believe when you first started riding

user name

Likes Dirt
I had a mate who used to ride everywhere in 6th gear on a 18 speed mtb, if we went up a steep hill he'd start pushing.. id say "why don't:yell: you change gears" and he'd say "I cant be bothered"... Used to drive me crazy!!:yell:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back pedal brakes were way better than the alternative. I never rode a 'good' bike back then. Recently I disovered why I thought that, hopped on a bike with caliper brakes and steels rims, you just can't stop with those things!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I had a mate who used to ride everywhere in 6th gear on a 18 speed mtb, if we went up a steep hill he'd start pushing.. id say "why don't:yell: you change gears" and he'd say "I cant be bothered"... Used to drive me crazy!!:yell:
I used to have a flatmate like that.
He'd always complain that he had a shit nights sleep, but he'd always sleep with the light on and I'd say 'Turn your bloody light off' to which he'd reply "Can't be f*cked once I'm in bed'.
So I'd tell him to turn it off before he got into bed and he'd say 'But I like to read in bed', well get a f*cking bedside light then dickwad!

For f*cks sake mate. Honestly? Don't keep whining about your shitty nights sleep all the time then! AAARRRGH!!!!!

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
so i treked it to the petrol station and bought myself a puncture repair kit with all the right intentions, and proceeded to attempt patching the tire it'self:D blissfully unaware of the existance of an item called a 'tube':rolleyes:

30 minutes later after patching up what my friend and i beleived where the leaking 'holes' in the tire, we pumped and pumped and pumped to no avail:( i ended up walking home and getting my dad to take it to the bicycle store:p which resulted in the subsequent bemused looks of the emplyess when we rolled the bike in with a flat and about 5 patches (orange ones) stuck to the outside of the tire!:rolleyes:

ahahahahaha. sorry mate but thats a classic

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
A bmxer at the local one day tried to convince us that his gyro had a limited number of spins and had to be wound back up after 100 barspins

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Watching the Tour

When I started riding this morning I thought that having watched the tour for the last 2 weeks that I would somehow be stronger.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Started riding at age 3 and I thought when I turned 18 and gave up the bikes for cars I would never go back to bikes. That lasted from 18 to 25, but lots of bikes from 25 to now and forever!

It's a pleasant necessity that I just can't and don't want to shake and never will!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Pumping tyres up to the maximum pressure was the best for traction.

I used to lube my chain with oil in one of these:

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
Started riding at age 3 and I thought when I turned 18 and gave up the bikes for cars I would never go back to bikes. That lasted from 18 to 25, but lots of bikes from 25 to now and forever!

It's a pleasant necessity that I just can't and don't want to shake and never will!
I feel the same, I gave up treddlies when I was 17 for road bikes and cars, although I'm only 20 now, thanks to a nice incident involved me on the r1 and a old lady I t boned...Im back to pushies :)

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought 20 k's was to the end of the earth and back.
I still do! :p

I used to think having the softest suspension was the best thing to have...everyone of my group of mates proceeded to take elastomers out of forks to the point they'd bottom out hardcore! My old man went nuts at me when he found I had taken the entire internals out of my rock shox indy c's! Full 2 inches travel hahaha!

I also did the same on my first dually...Avanti Moto, the rear suspension had a setting where the shock would bottom out all the time, I raced downhill at the interschools comp in Thredbo (circa 1998) like this...completely blew the rear shock which drained all the oil over the rear wheel...heaps smart as then I had f-all rear brakes as oil was all over the rim! (v-brakes!)