Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

DW-1

Dirt Works
www.sdcc.org.au

Entries opened on January 1st for the 2009 SImpson Desert Bike Challenge.

As I promissed after last years event... I've entered again. (1st fool this year) :D

Who is next?

If anyone wants to know more about the event... ask away. There are a few people here that have done it before and will be happy to offer advice.

Elvis.

Last edited:

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Who is next?
Yo Wayne,

Four punters from Yulara (Uluru) are coming. Freddy will be back for more.. and from the Park is Sammy, Macca and Myself.

First training session this morning actually. Took the boys for a 20km ride out the Tuit Track from Mutitjulu which is a deep sandy nightmare. I'm the fittest of the Parks boys and even I couldn't ride up the small sand dunes on the track.. fk, we've got some training to do.

Sam has built a dually with a 650b wheelset for the job. It went well today in the sandy conditions.. Macca has a GF 29er hardtail which rolled beautifully over all but the deepest sand, shame about Macca's fitness though.. and I took out my Surly 1x1.. it didn't go too well, squirrelly as it the sand, might have had too much pressure in the tyres but I'll give it a few more weeks and experiment with tyre pressure etc and if it doesn't feel better I'll swap out the SID fork for my rigid and go for some bigger bag tyres or throw on a 650b wheelset myself.

Still sorting out support.. what are you doing for support?

DW-1

Dirt Works
bd'

I'll have my long suffering wife (once again) as my support crew. I have a few people I know in Sydney pretty interested, at this point...

2 - definate
4 - still deciding but very very interested.

I also have a couple of friends that are looking to be "support crew" for some of the above.

Swiss Heinz from Bali (who rode the last 4 years) is a no go this year. (conflicting things happening) but he's promissed that if I survive this year... and am stupid enough to do it for a 3rd time in 2010... he'll be back for his 5th.

I've spoken to a local mtb magazine editor about them possibly riding it and they seem keen (at the moment).

I suggest that you buy considder purchasing a copy of the disc from this years event. It has a hell of a lot of pics (well over 1,000) from everyone that was involved in 2008, riders, officials, support crews. It will also give you a great idea of the terrain. www.sdcc.org.au/merchandise.php

To make you feel great... below is a pic of Lynton Stretton. The 2008 winner. (at the end of a stage)

Elvis.

Attachments

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
hey bd.

How is your friend finding the 29er on the sand?

Last year I rode my Mojo with 2.5" Syncros trail tyres. With a massive 17psi front and 15psi rear... they floated over the sand.

But I've been thinking... I know that my mariachi' holds a cleaner line through sand than my 26".

So I'm thinking of maybe a Salsa Big Mama as this years desert bike. Build it light.

And the longer contact patch of the 29er tyre would help with floatation... esp' if combined with a wide/big bag tyre... right?

Elvis.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
And the longer contact patch of the 29er tyre would help with floatation... esp' if combined with a wide/big bag tyre... right?

Elvis.
I'm hearing "Puggsly... Puggsly..." being called out from a far....

Cheers
Gonz

DW-1

Dirt Works
I'm hearing "Puggsly... Puggsly..." being called out from a far....

Cheers
Gonz
and then you start trading off things like the loop around the salt lake on hardpack v the ability to ride the dunes v the fireroad like conditions of the final day...

I mean... at least on the last day you could swap to a pair of cross' tyred 29er wheels. But on days when you hit a long hardpack stretch in the middle of a stage...

I know that there will definatelly be a Pug' in this years event though. (no... not one of the Dirt Crew' either)

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Tandem? does it have big tyres?

no reason why not...

there is talk of them bringing the "team" catagory back this year.

Elvis.

orchie

Likes Dirt
I'm seriously thinking about it. My wife has offered to be my support crew, but we need to source an appropriate support vehicle.

DW-1

Dirt Works
I'm seriously thinking about it. My wife has offered to be my support crew, but we need to source an appropriate support vehicle.
My wife was my support crew in 2008. It's not an easy role. There is a download page with plenty of info for her to digest... www.sdcc.org.au/downloads.html If she wants to hear the facts from my wife... let me know and we could always organise a time.

Regarding a 4wd though, to start with, you can register with the SDBC here: www.sdcc.org.au/bulletin.html they do a good job trying to hook riders up with support vehicles and support crews.

But you really DON’T need to "own" your vehicle. (we spent a lot of money setting our 100 series Landcruiser up last year… but then we do try to get away many times per year).

One overseas rider this year used a Maui hire Troopy’ camper (with a pop top roof) www.maui.com.au/4WD-campervan-hire-australia

It is great in that it has a 2nd, long range tank for diesel, a fridge/freezer, stove/sink, an inbuilt water tank (you’ll need more though), UHF radio for communication with the rest of the convoy and a great awning /shade system. (you’ll be loving that shade at lunchtime each day)

Elvis.

Last edited:

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
How is your friend finding the 29er on the sand?
Macca and Sambo both have GF 29'er hardtails they use out here on the sandy trails.. and I must say, they roll HEAPS better than a 26'er over sand, especially at lower tyre psi.
Yep, correct. Sammy also has a bike with a 650b wheelset.. they again roll better than my 26'er over sand..

Last year I rode my Mojo with 2.5" Syncros trail tyres. With a massive 17psi front and 15psi rear... they floated over the sand.
Were they UST Tubeless? Does pressures this low compromise the seal of UST Tubeless tyres?

So I'm thinking of maybe a Salsa Big Mama as this years desert bike. Build it light.
Nah, go the scandium/carbon rear hardtail Salsa 29er! That thing is sooo hot.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Were they UST Tubeless? Does pressures this low compromise the seal of UST Tubeless tyres?

Nah, go the scandium/carbon rear hardtail Salsa 29er! That thing is sooo hot.
not UST. they were std Syncros Point n' Chute tyres. (NON tubeless) I chucked some Stan's in them and they rocked.

A HARDTAIL? Never.

(though the next bike I get will be a hardtail... Salsa Fargo)

Elvis.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Just a a useless fact:
My grand dad, the late Ian Bowmaker was the doctor and paramedic for the Simpson Desert Cycle Challenge for a few years.

Here is an excert from a newsletter a in Late 2007:

Simpson Desert Bike Challenge Newsletter Dec/Jan 2007​

Profile: Dr Ian Bowmaker​
The race relies heavily on volunteer medical
crews to monitor the health of riders as they
tackle the harsh Desert conditions. Support crews
are not immune to the effects of the Desert,
particularly dehydration, and can also require
medical assistance. Over the twenty year history
of the race, several doctors have volunteered
repeatedly to spend their precious annual leave
tending to a bedraggled bunch of obstreperous,
exhausted, half-cooked, bruised, dehydrated, and
distressed riders in the middle of nowhere. Often
their only thanks was to be dunked in the
Warburton Creek by a passing pack of riders
looking for some diversion.
One such medic was Dr Ian Bowmaker. Dr Ian
always kept an eye out for the less competitive
riders, those who were slower, less focused on
results and more focused on survival. He quickly
established a reputation as the medic responsible
for the rear end of the field. He wholeheartedly
embraced the creation of the revered concoction
known as ‘Sheep Dip’ (the secret recipe for which
had been masterminded by his medical cohort Dr
John Hill), and encouraged riders to regularly
anoint their battered buttocks with this magical
salve. The concoction, although of a repugnant
appearance, is regarded by many race veterans
as largely responsible for them surviving the
course with most of the skin on their butt intact.
Thus for many riders Dr Ian became affectionately
known as ‘the Bum Doctor’.
He made an enormous contribution to the race
over the eleven years he was involved. Sadly the
‘Bum Doctor’ made his last trip out to the Desert
in 2001 and passed away from cancer in August
2002. His legacy, and that of fellow medic Dr John
Hill, lives on in the continued production and
application of ‘Sheep Dip’ (with the secret recipe
now safely in the hands of Medical Coordinator
Louise Hill); and in the mindless chant of officials
and medical crew – ‘drink more water!’

I promised my grand da before he passed away that I would one day enter the race, whether I make it or not I will have to see!

DW-1

Dirt Works
Not good apparently.. Sammy announced today that he wasn't keen for the Simpson and won't be coming! That was after one training ride on sand.. very disappointing.
SOFT!

But then... the Simpson isn't for everyone. You can be the fittest SOB out there and still crack mentally.

Elvis.

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
OMG! :eek:

What is going on? Sammy yesterday, then Macca softing out today?

We only did 1 training ride on sand!! It wasn't that hard (but it wasn't easy either) and they both throw in the towel..

That leaves just Freedy and I from Yulara.. hmph!

DW-1

Dirt Works
That leaves just Freedy and I from Yulara.. hmph!
what crap is this... I thought that you NT blokes were 'ard...

this sounds like "a little bit of sand and they run crying to mummy"... :D

What would Troy Dann think of this...?

Elvis.

Last edited:

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
what crap is this... I thought that you NT blokes were 'ard...

this sounds like "a little bit of sand and they run crying to mummy"... :D

What would Troy Dann think of this...?

Elvis.
Yeah! Nt woosies! Haha.. (Freddy is from Indonesian stock and I hail from Tassie so if ANYONE had a reason to whinge about sand or heat it would be me..)

Anyway, enough net time, I'm off to train now.. Sand loop and dune climb behind the resort.. I'll post a pic of the raining loop later..