Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a must do event Pizazz,
there's a whole lot of nothing and a whole lot of everything to see out there.

It was one of the very first mountain bike races I read about back in the early 90's, and am very glad I did it.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt

It was one of the very first mountain bike races I read about back in the early 90's, and am very glad I did it.
Sigh...

• ITT Mawson Trail
  • Tour Divide
  • World Solos in Canberra

• ITT Munda Bindi Track
  • Simpson Desert Challenge
  • World Solos in Scotland

I'm not sure I want to even want to think about how far in brownie points deficit I'm going to be for just proposing that schedule...

DW-1

Dirt Works

97% wasn't it Dr Eggs?

How *is* that monkey doing on your back there?

Elvis.
(to clarify - the good Dr finished a full 20% more than my best year)

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ooooohhhhhhhh

97% wasn't it Dr Eggs?

How *is* that monkey doing on your back there?

Elvis.
Them's fighting words, don't make me come over there......

I'm thinking of the BC bike race next race.

Last edited:

Olefin

Likes Bikes
Well, if I pass the medical this morning I'm back in for the 2013 version.

Funny thing is, I ran the 6 foot track this weekend and the downhills ate my quads.

I don't want the Doc to notice that I can't actually walk that well.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
I'm in. So far the field is 12 riders with more to follow, I'm sure.

Looks like its going to be a good year.

prk722

Likes Bikes
Might be a silly question but here goes
Do the riders have to have their own support team for this event? Or can you get them supplied or something similar?
Thanks in advance

DW-1

Dirt Works
Might be a silly question but here goes
Do the riders have to have their own support team for this event? Or can you get them supplied or something similar?
Thanks in advance
If you have your family or friends with a 4wd that you wish to owe favours to for the rest of your life. Use them.

(I had my wife as support "team" three times - I owe her for ever)

The other option... is to talk to the Race committee. They can try to hook you up with a friendly 4wd club or individual that is keen for a Simpson Desert trip.

The general rule of thumb is that you cover the fuel and food costs and they look after you during the event. But that is best negotiated with the crew in question.

If you want to know more... email the "rider contact"... one Murray "Muz" Rook (last years joint winner) on riders@desertchallenge.org

Elvis.

prk722

Likes Bikes
If you have your family or friends with a 4wd that you wish to owe favours to for the rest of your life. Use them.

The other option... is to talk to the Race committee. They can try to hook you up with a friendly 4wd club or individual that is keen for a Simpson Desert trip.

The general rule of thumb is that you cover the fuel and food costs and they look after you during the event. But that is best negotiated with the crew in question.

If you want to know more... email the "rider contact"... one Murray "Muz" Rook (last years joint winner) on riders@desertchallenge.org

Elvis.
Ok cool thanks for the help
Ill contact them as well

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser

Elvis.
Elvis I am still buying my wife shiny things for her solo support of me in 2011. Perhaps going into credit for next year?

For those looking for support there is an information sheet linked from the Adventurers page on our web site. Muz prepared it so that one could print and slip under the wiper of any comfortable looking 4WD that you may want to try to convince. See the top of http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/isi-bicycle-carrier-customers.html

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Well it was another awesome year in the desert. A lot cooler, and much faster for the riders.

I got a little enthusiastic at the auction afterwards and will soon be the proud owner of a beaut Muru - thanks Wayne and Kyria for donating it for the charity auction! I guess I really am committed to riding next year. My GF is also picking a Muru and we'll be riding together. Need to start training hard,

Here's a few pics:

Got some more but the internet here is retarded (thanks Telstra).

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Well it was another awesome year in the desert. A lot cooler, and much faster for the riders.

I got a little enthusiastic at the auction afterwards and will soon be the proud owner of a beaut Muru - thanks Wayne and Kyria for donating it for the charity auction! I guess I really am committed to riding next year. My GF is also picking a Muru and we'll be riding together. Need to start training hard,
Good on you Ben. Riding has to be better than being a medic and fronting up to the 5:30am rider's bum clinic.

That Muru Witjira fat bike is just sensational. Melanie and I just returned from a couple of weeks with a pair of fat bikes exploring the South East coast - just sensational fun!

You two are in for a great time.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
2014? Once more with feeling?

There are some great picks from 2013. I'll post a few here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Olefin

Likes Bikes
At the end of the race it's nice to have a quiet beer with like minded folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Olefin

Likes Bikes
Simpson Desert Bike Challenge 2014

If you're thinking about riding, register your interest at http://www.desertchallenge.org/enrol/

You can make an enquiry without having to enter.

As Race Director this year, one of my jobs is to line up riders who don't have a 4WD with support crews that do.